Voile Hyper Vector BC - Review

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
voilenerd

Voile Hyper Vector BC - Review

Post by voilenerd » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:42 am

First post here. Just picked up a set of Voile Hyper Vector BCs. This is my first wide ski and make my Atomic Rainers and Fischer E99s look like sticks. Surprised how light these skis are and love the look. Im located in Southeastern Wyoming, which sets between 3 different mountain ranges. Lots of options to choose for sking. Just need snow to give these new vectors a good test!
Resized_20180828_214620.jpeg
Resized_20180114_125130.jpeg

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Voile Hyper Vector BC - Review

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Welcome Voilenerd!!
Looking forward to your experiences with those sweet boards!!
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks. What type of 75mm boot would you pair with the Hyper Vector? I've just purchased a set of Scott Excursions and old Garmont Veloce's for super cheap. I have not skied a plastic boot as most of my experience has been with a set of Alaska Alpinas and the 1550s on skinny skis. The Excursion boots seem alot softer then the Veloces. I might try and get a different boot if the Excursions or Veloces don't work out.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:36 pm

I would ski this with a T4, comparable to the Scott but slightly stiffer. My opinion only. I think you're on the right track. I love my Objectives, and my classic Vectors were also very nice. Enjoy, and write a review!

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:02 am

Snow in the forecast for the Snowy Range. Hopefully there is enough base to give my new hyper vectors a good test. If not I can just take my rock skis.

Last year I was skiing in early November with a foot of powder and good base.

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigw ... 106.3261

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:18 am

voilenerd wrote:Thanks. What type of 75mm boot would you pair with the Hyper Vector? I've just purchased a set of Scott Excursions and old Garmont Veloce's for super cheap. I have not skied a plastic boot as most of my experience has been with a set of Alaska Alpinas and the 1550s on skinny skis. The Excursion boots seem alot softer then the Veloces. I might try and get a different boot if the Excursions or Veloces don't work out.
I would want at least a T4/Excursion class boot for a ski as wide as the Vector (however- the T4 and the Excursion were very different boots. I know nothing of the new T4- it is, by reports, softer the previous model? So- perhaps the Excursion/T4 are closer than they were...)

I really do not have any Nordic touring experience with a boot that is more hefty than a T4 or Excursion. (I have tried plenty of more powerful Telemark/AT boots on-piste and in the mountains.)

I know that people "tour" in boots that are beefier than the T4/Excursion, but I suspect that they are using them for more "Alpine" touring than traditional Nordic touring- meaning they are primarily climbing- as opposed to overland travel.

I am assuming that you want to do some serious downhill skiing with that ski?

I see that you have the 3-pin hardwire on them! I love that binding!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:10 pm

I ski the vectors with T-4s, my wife skis hers with excursions. We both recently stepped down from T-2s, which are probably similar to the Voloces and we like the better touring of the lower boot and still had plenty of control for the downhill.

I think the excursion will ski more like your old boots in that they won't affect your stance the way a higher boot does that limits ankle movement. I don't think the excursion will have that "ski boot" feel like a taller boot that restricts ankle movement. My T-4s don't, they feel more natural while walking and skiing. Every time I've jumped up in boot stiffness and height I've had to reinvent my stance and learn how to get centered again.

The Voloces could give you more stability and power if you want to ski at high speed or need to blast through bad snow. They will limit ski deflection, the excursion will take more finesse and better carving ability to do the same.

I've always been a fan of Voile skis and the vector was my favorite. Paired with the T-4 and 3pHW it is the best skiing combo I've ever had. A trully quiver of one set up that I would take anywhere I've ever skied.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 am

lilcliffy wrote: I know nothing of the new T4- it is, by reports, softer the previous model? So- perhaps the Excursion/T4 are closer than they were...
Negative, same shell-- however intuition liner instead of the older foam one. The intuition liner is shorter than the foam one so there is less leverage on the top. I think this was a dumb move. I much prefer the foam liner in this boot, the intuition liner for the T4 does not work for me. At all. (It does work for me in my ECO's)

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:58 pm

4 feet of snow in the forest and still testing. More to come. So far very impressed with climbing. Those scales sure grip way better than my Atomic Rainers. I climbed some pretty decent stuff and did not have to break out the skins or heirng bone up.

Need more snow.