New Nordic touring boot?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Re: New Nordic touring boot?

Post by Smitty » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:34 pm

That does make sense, thanks for all the clarifications bgregoire. It's a shame that the EU to US conversions on many of the boots themselves don't jive, what a strange thing.

I guess one of the main things I was trying to say that I did a pretty poor job of was that if someone can't shop for Alfas in person and they are thinking about ordering online, they shouldn't be scared off if the EU sizing that the website instructions recommends seems low compared to other boots in the same category.

I am in Canada, but many of my hiking / hunting boots over the years have had EU sizing. So I knew that in pretty much every boot I have owned I am in the 43 neighbourhood. So when the Alfa sizing instructions and chart pointed me to a 41, and I didn't have the chance to try them on in person, I was pretty skeptical about ordering them. Seemed like there was some sort of error. But now I am glad I did, because they are perfect! Like you say, a little more room volume-wise. But once I got my superfeet insoles and a pair of thick socks in there it is perfectly snug.

Cheers!

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:09 am

Welcome Smitty!

You should REALLY take a look at the new Alfa Guards... Words can't tell how much I am in love with them... Honestly, skiing with the Guards is a totally new experience. All the best from the Kikut and the Alaska blended together in the same boot.

All my Dr Martens and Rangers boots were always 10.5 or 11. My Birkenstocks were always 43 narrow. My Vibram FiveFingers were always 43. My plastic ski boots were always 27.5-28. I was very surprised (I had to buy a few pairs to find out) when I discovered that I wear size 8.5 US at Alpina! (And 9 US according to the Alfa Guard box!)

So yep, take a look at the charts if needed, but always trust the euro point. ;)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:25 am

Hello fellow shoe-fit-freaks,

Euro point does seem like a better scale for comparing shoes sizes amongsts nordic ski boot models (compared to US sizes), probably because all the brands that produce nordic BC ski boots are from Europe. Then again, disparities in EU sizing between manufacturers (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2155) has got me thinking we should be matching up with the Mondopoint scale which is an actual scaled (metric) measurement.

Alternatively, and I am happy your mention it Johnny, I propose we start comparing shoes sizes against the Birkenstock sandal fit! I'm thinking they truly got it right with their EU sizes and the availabilily of both wide (regular) and narrow lasts make the comparison that much more meaningful. Hey, I'm not even joking here!

J, for ex.: you are a Birkie 43EU (280mm or MP) narrow and I am a Birkie 41EU regular (265mm or MP). Look at that! It ALL makes sense now!

Cumbayeah!

:mrgreen:
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:43 pm

The Birk standard, the best of them all...!

Really, it's the reference. Everybody knows about them. And with the little slots for the toes, you know on the spot if the size is right or not. Seriously, the "N" option on every size is just the best way to go.
bgregoire wrote:J, for ex.: you are a Birkie 43EU (280mm or MP) narrow and I am a Birkie 41EU regular (265mm or MP). Look at that! It ALL makes sense now!
Damn, I already figured you were Birk 41... But your system only makes sense when the two of us are not bidding against each other for the same pair of boots on ebay. So funny, when suddendly a pair of size 44 Alfas pops up somewhere for sale on the net, we suddenly both wear size 44 and we can justify ourselves with several perfect arguments about which one of us should be the owner... 8-)

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:52 pm

Johnny wrote: So funny, when suddendly a pair of size 44 Alfas pops up somewhere for sale on the net, we suddenly both wear size 44 and we can justify ourselves with several perfect arguments about which one of us should be the owner... 8-)
Sorry, I doubt this will happen again! I could try polarizing my Birkies though, wondering if I'll require a 43R or a 44R? What do you think?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Johnny wrote:
You should REALLY take a look at the new Alfa Guards... Words can't tell how much I am in love with them... Honestly, skiing with the Guards is a totally new experience. All the best from the Kikut and the Alaska blended together in the same boot.
Those Guards look like amazing boots. Hopefully someone out west picks them up, I would love to try them on in person.

And the Birkie standard - I think you Gentlemen are really onto something!

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:21 am

bgregoire wrote:I could try polarizing my Birkies though, wondering if I'll require a 43R or a 44R? What do you think?
Ben, I highly recommend you to stick with size 41. Well, at least for Alfa, Alpina and Baffin boots okay? ;)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:09 pm

So- one of my close friends and ski buddy ordered the Alfa Kikut/Perform...

Finally got a chance to hold them in the flesh and try them on...

I must say I am not crazy about them...

I would rate them as a significant step down from the Alaska in terms of support and power transfer...

BUT- more importantly they are simply cavernous inside- waaaay to large-volume for my feet....(And my friend's feet- he is returning them and has ordered the Alaska...)

This leads me to at least temporarily drop the Alfa boots from my list...

I am now considering Crispi.

Lofoten or Svartisen?
Or should I just get a replacement Alaska?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Imma gonna bumppa this first page post from TEE MONEY
t-$ wrote:If it ain’t broke, why fix it?! The Alaska’s are the bomb, I think we can all agree on that...not even sure if I’ve read a bad review ever of the . It to say that something would t be just as good or better, but I think I am probly gonna pop on another pair this year justin case they stop making them I have enough to last me a lifetime. So yeah lc, I vote for Alpina!!! Plus, I had a chance to ski the Fischer’s once last year and they were just way to flex for me...

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:34 pm

lilcliffy wrote:hey are simply cavernous inside- waaaay to large-volume for my feet.
Did you bring a head lamp? There might have been some neat features to check out once inside!

I was not that impressed with my Dynamics (same boot) until I wore skis underneath them. Sure, they are thin, not much insulation, but I got a tight solid fit at size 41 (usually have to wear 42 or 43 with other brands but then my toes are too far from the tip of the boot) and had some good fun turning my E99s on the down. Quite the unexpected performers, so light! Perhaps you both tried on a size or two too big? I actually found that the 41s were a little narrow for my wide feet at first, but its all going to work out in the end. I got them on clearance, so I'm very happy. If I was paying full price, I would definitely pay for the Svarket or Guard upgrade. Lots more insulation, tad stiffer sole.

So yeah, consider sizing smaller with the Alfas.

If you are going for Cripis and you like the Alaska, I would also consider the Stetind. Its a popular boot in Scandinavia, quite a beaut and I would say its surely the equivalent to the Alaska in terms of support but, bonus, they are made of full-grain leather and no bulky tongue! I think the Lofotens are really cool looking boots too. I have a similar boot in 75mm, the Alico Teletour. I like the buckle when on the down but rather have it released for the flats. But then, given that there is no lace eyelet there, your foot goes a little loose inside when the buckle is released. The Svartisen is the ugliest in my eyes but possibly the best performer on the down.

What aspect to you want to optimize with this boot?

I am looking forward to your review of a Crispi boot! I myself am looking around for a pair of Antarctics or Sydpolens (or, Inch Allah, the Bre). They will have to be stretched for a summer before they end up on skis though!

Oh yeah, LC, what is your Birkie shoe size? lol. I might be able to help with sizing as I tried all these brands! ;)