Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:42 am

having a beer with "Boots" discussing whatever and how screwed up this current world shutdown is.....The good news is we have about 2 inches of powder and it's snowing.....Will be able to get some grip, finally....twas pretty cold with a wind doing it's best to cool us down...Boots has a bad case of pinched back and the VA has not rid him of it...Course the shrapnel in his leg gives him a twinge now and then.....In a wind shaded place the sun was warm...He having been sick for a bit and Telewheels the same....stayed up wind...used my vest as a mouth cover and we both laughed....A bit later heard swiiiish and crack crunch and glanced up the treed hill....Like an aspiration a skier doing parallel swept into view and man....could SHE parallel...Very compact body that would stretch some then hammer the ice....Man could that girl ski....twas Isa a former Big Mountain skier who used to participate in "Extreme" Skiing comps....Solo up on Little Mountain and loving it.....So do we....Think she made Boots feel better just watching.....Nice conversation and off she went.....Soon I too will be off to some more re exploring.....Turn around point @ two and a half miles up and in....Unless Moose have the virus nothing but stillness up there....and that's good too...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:42 am

Turn around point was really cool....Sun was heating up but some places the snow was cold...then warmer....Used blue wax and did those skis go up the logging road...Bout where I head into the woods hew skis would grip then not so much...Did one shoulder roll in a particularly slippery area and I wasn't paying attention....Lots of coyote and Fischer tracks.....Turn around point was seriously twisted and it surely good to have a blazing sun and cold blue sky....Turn around point has several wide gullies heading down West and pretty wide open....Was tempted to head down but checked out why years ago I always got twisted there as my dead reconing is usually right on....On a North South mountain heading the protrusions head northeast to Southwest with undulations that could really throw you off...to nowhere...Wide open tree sections with some "Old Growth) trees still standing and dwarfing everything around them.....As the wax (had put on extra blue) became unglued so to speak twas time to drift back....Easy low angle cruising and back on the logging road a very fast trip out...Will head back up there and see if there is a way down to a pond and a road on the other side...Will need two cars for that...TM

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:06 pm

I recall a quarry or two on the way to the pond where the spinning dog used to live; or am I confusing it with the run down that ended up down the steep slope to the brook on the pther side from the spring?

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:41 am

having trouble figuring out where your at....Normally we didn't come near spinning three legged dog...Spring and Brooke wasn't that over near where the head of Fish and game had a camp? If you were standing on the bridge looking over Flagg pond and up to the splayed out hill.....Coming down the center of the Mountain brought us heh depending on reconing....to an old path through an old "gone" high hill farm....down an old and unused farm road to the Pond....Thinking we aren't going to get this right Rock....Telesven is ready to head them down this week if we are ahead of the sap>>>>Bout 27 gallons of syrup and we brought it up to Fancy yesterday....Man that stuff is good.....TM

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:08 am

Be careful down there boyz. This ain't no joke.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:56 am

Keeping our collective fingers crossed.....Mostly we keep isolated....but who knows...Figure with all the steam in a Sugarhouse...we have protection....Few minutes gonna cruise down to the local grocery store and sneak in for "Old" Timers shopping...Far as skiing mostly solo...and we forgive anybody who sends us on another big ski in the sky....Snow is holding in the Bush and are hearing of @ 8 inches come Monday....And "B" you keep your friends and family as safe as you can...Hard for me to believe our government has allowed China to make something g like 90% of the pharmaceuticals....Wuhan was there once....My impression is...great people....pathetic government...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:28 am

Two oranges an energy bar and blue sky with a Sun that wouldn't quit....We meandered up to Moose Knob several miles up and the gonz engulfed us...Saw some remnant Old groth trees and were in awe...Trees don't grow tall there as the winds...ice...snow...keep them in check....One tree 25 feet high and fifteen feet in circumference is imprinted in my feeble brain....Great time up there just getting a hollow tree for heat...It came crashing down about two hours after setting it on fire....On the out we were supposed to ski as a group...but...someone drifted...Unfortunately that dummie was ME....Heard them way off to the West and figured I'd just head South East and meet up with them a bit further down...Heh....Many miles later and having seen many new areas and ledges...clifts.....very steep drops and going up hill over miles I found the road I was looking for....Boys were not pleased and they were right!...Figure I'm gonna pay somehow for this...But shhhh.....feel pretty good about figuring it out and getting it straight and rescuing myself....Still....what a dummie!!!! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:41 am

6-10 inches of powder...In the dips was where the powder settled....Broke up to the top of Teleknob a short trip as it is a rounded knob with all kinds of tele potential....man was that powder fast....Did some very fast turning and headed out...Saw telekid on the road and followed him back up...Got the disintegrating camera and while taking shots of telekid broke it some more....Oh well.....Through the lens saw exploding powder and some really fine steep skiing....Unfortunately my camera is close to toast....Been thumping it for years and now will pay the price...probably need something that will video as well as take a picture...TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:48 pm

Be nice to see some of your photos again T-man. Crocus in my yard, no snow. I heard the suckers are running. They are an ugly fish, with lots of bones, but very sweet flesh. They also bioaccumulate very few chemicals, one of the safest fish to eat from the Great Lakes. Catching them is easy, and all the other seasons are closed except on the Big Lakes.
So well you’re putting up gallons of syrup, I’ll can a few pints of fish. Canning takes care of the bones and I make a pretty good fish patty.
Stay safe and healthy.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:37 pm

Back in high school....Showed some perspective young ladies what a MAN I was....Would reach under a bank on some stream and catch a sucker in my hand......they were big!....This sucker didn't even come close with the ladies...I mean how can that be????...Heh!!!...TM