Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by lowangle al » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:29 am

I'd love to get up that way, especially since it looks like my snow may disappear this weekend.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:30 am

Yesterday was good....Bout a mile and a half up.....gentle logging road then into the forest for about 300 verts of easy terrain....man the snow was fast!!!!....used extra blue as the temp was 28o out of the car....35o when I got back.....The 109's have to be skied differently from the older ones I have as the Rocker forces one to go up a bit differently....(Lower angle)....When going down they were really good and on two occasions came around as fast as I needed....The rest was just long arcs and laid back fast skiing....Telekid is going up to Little and get the 1000 foot drop up there...Will look forward to his report...Thinking I might repeat yesterday and hit the steep Southeast side for @ 600+ verts....Will see...Snow bout 10+ inches of hard pack with anywhere from 8-14 inches of pow on top....Good stuff....TM

freeheelwilly

Post by freeheelwilly » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:05 am

greatgt wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:30 am
Yesterday was good....Bout a mile and a half up.....gentle logging road then into the forest for about 300 verts of easy terrain....man the snow was fast!!!!....used extra blue as the temp was 28o out of the car....35o when I got back.....The 109's have to be skied differently from the older ones I have as the Rocker forces one to go up a bit differently....(Lower angle)....When going down they were really good and on two occasions came around as fast as I needed....The rest was just long arcs and laid back fast skiing....Telekid is going up to Little and get the 1000 foot drop up there...Will look forward to his report...Thinking I might repeat yesterday and hit the steep Southeast side for @ 600+ verts....Will see...Snow bout 10+ inches of hard pack with anywhere from 8-14 inches of pow on top....Good stuff....TM
Unfortunately, that may all be different come Sunday. And you're slipping: That post was comprehensible.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 am

Apologies!!!!....So followed Telekids trail up to the top of Little Mountain and it had about half as much snow as the Highlands.....Total sweatball on top....Telekid was on some wide short stubby Rossi 110?????....he got a great deal over at Mountain Opp's in Stowe....Any way on the up had extra blue and lots of pink v 45....Should have had Red but didn't want that on the bottoms....At camp....bout 500 feet up put on some new skins which is the second time in my life....They worked well....Left the separation plastic sleeve at camp....Dummy!.....Saw Telekids first turns down a steep section and did they ever look good.....Could not do the same on my slicers and instantly felt shimmers of stone on my bottoms....Bummer!!!!!....Saw he had no fear as he headed the skis down over anything and did short tight turns and long rounded arcs....Me I skied carefully as my slicers were encountering thingers under the snow.....Kinda fun to see your son has become an outstanding Telemarker on any kind of equipment....Anyway the workout me thinks has broken the fever....Will head back to the Highlands and get the powder up there....And won't have to worry about "thingers" down below...TM

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:04 am

Greatgt--you must be on something other time EST. I read your 8:52 AM post at 5 AM here.

freeheelwilly

Post by freeheelwilly » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:13 am

satsuma wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:04 am
Greatgt--you must be on something other time EST. I read your 8:52 AM post at 5 AM here.
Time is distorted in his dimension.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:38 pm

two thingers....I'm on a Tele dimension and my computer and any kind of electronics is falling apart.....No phone and e mail is a thing of the past.....Ski today....uhhhh....snow was consolidating fast.....14 inches of sweet powder down to 8 inches of close to mashed potatoes....Some different January.....Still we have had good powder but overall to much rain....Will see what this next batch does....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:39 pm

Two kinds of skis would work well...Short heavy beefy skinnies.....Short wide Rossi's...... Fischers....Only Asnes I have skied are woodies so.....Semi consolidated mush crush....(not mushy)....The 109's didn't want to release quickly so had to wait....in the forest....amongst whips...open spring dips....All in all a good ski....But skied deferentially...Heh....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:54 am

Been a bit since a totally Cross Country ski....We cruise out....head up.....Tele down!....yesterday with Telesven we cruised up into the Highlands the second harshest environment in Vermont....The tops of the Green Mountains the harshest.....Totally up on way low angle logging road where they had around 14 skidders up there when they logged off the Old Growth....a sad time for us.....That was about 20+ years ago and where they first cut and didn't clear cut the forest is recharging......And so is the skiing....Yesterday we headed into a highland wet land....Ponds....wet areas....circle of evergreens surrounded with hardwoods.....High ridges (@2700-2800 feet)....Lots of Wildlife....Deer departed six weeks ago....have found many "Sheds" up there....A solitary snowshoer has kept a tiny trail open so we took advantage and cruised his trail....And he knew where he was going....KTB have been skiing up there since the 1970's when Telewheels took me up there and we both totally loved the "Wildness....quiet....Seen big cat tracks and in the coyote zone some really big tracks....(Wolf?)....While out there remembered that I love being out there....It's not about turns it's about NATURE!....Telesven carefully slid his ski into a depression and it didn't come back out...Took some serious work to keep him from going all the way in....What a laugh and you should have seen his ski!!!!!! Glacial artifact......Cruised over to some un-named ponds and remembered when I took people from the Craftsbury Outdoor center out there and how much they appeared to relish it.....Moose have opened large areas in and around the Ponds....Snow and ice on the trees prevented long range views but it didn't diminish the beauty.....The run out was fun as the 109's were seriously fast even on low angle....Put that together with whips and encroaching forest made for some instant turns with no room for error....Hands up....elbows out.....and making speedy turns at the same time....What fun!....The last section is a logging road where it goes downhill or flat for a mile....Poled at the top and a couple of times on the down and never slowed down...Man those skis were fast with White and a little green under foot....Wonderful ski!!!! TM

Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Post by Baaahb » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:15 am

So...this is where the gang hangs out. I think I posted on this thread a few years ago.