Brilliant Telemark Event - 12 - 24 Jan 2019 France

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
colinstone

Brilliant Telemark Event - 12 - 24 Jan 2019 France

Post by colinstone » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:28 am

I guess many are thinking about next winter. So I thought I'd let all telemarkers, and anyone thinking of giving it a go, know/remind about the GB Telemark Training and National Championships.

The event is formally known as Exercise Telemark Titan 2019 and is run by the Army Telemark Ski Association (ATSA) but is also open to civilians.

Briefly, the event consists of a weeks instruction for all levels from alpine skiers wishing to learn telemark, to training the GB World Cup Squad and those endeavouring to get into the squad. The instruction is first class and depending on numbers may be just french instructors or include well know english instructors, eg Telemark Tracks. Daily instruction is 0900 - 1630 with around 1 - 11/2 hours for lunch. Group size is approx 6 although novice classes may be a little larger. For the non serious GB squad telemarkers, the emphasis is on being or becoming an all mountain telemarker. So conditions permitting, everything from on piste to deep powder to moguls is covered. Race instruction is not the main activity, but some will include round the gates, jumping and skating. Adjustable poles that extend to around 1m 50cm are a good idea for skating!

This will be the third year in PLV and up to 150 telemarkers are easily catered for. Last year the numbers dropped to around 110 Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army and civilians (25 ish), mainly due to military commitments etc, so there is ample scope for us civilians to get involved and keep up numbers. For some reason the RAF Telemarkers do their own thing somewhere else. Not sure about non GB nationals - I'll have to ask.

Then there are a few days of racing. For novices, a few development races and the better ones do get into the GB Telemark Championships. The GB Championships are for all and from that the GB World Cup team is selected. Finally, a Mountain Race. This involves skinning up a hill and skiing down, repeated for 3 laps. Either in 1 lap relay teams, or as a solo.
Some instruction continues during the racing days for novices.

The event is hosted in the delightful resort of Pralognan la Vanoise, south east of Moutiers and next valley to the east of Courcheval.
Full board accomodation is in the Hotel Vacanciel, large buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and short walk to the lifts. Single rooms, for civilians at least. Large free open car parking area - shovel and snow chains are a good idea.
ATSA lays on transfers for Geneva to PLV but there is a charge.

Last year the cost for civilians was £870 - - full board, instruction, lift pass and race fees.

Kit can be hired for the event.

The initial details are usually published in August, with confirmed details in the autumn.

It is great fun and a terrific opportunity to meet telemarkers at all levels and ages.

After Ex TT, the French are hosting a round of the 2018/19 Telemark World Cup in PLV.

Two telemark races for the 2022 Olympics are being submitted by FIS to the Olympic Committee. There is a short video here - https://www.facebook.com/ArmyTelemark/

Any questions and I can email last year's documents, please pm me.
Telemark. The only reason to go down on one knee.

telemarkmark

Re: Brilliant Telemark Event - 12 - 24 Jan 2019 France

Post by telemarkmark » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:59 am

I went this year, largely for the instruction, which was very good. Racing (in any sport) was never really my thing, though I have to admit I am starting to enjoy it and doing more.
We had lots of fresh snow - so spent more time enjoying ourselves than practicing racing.
Had a great time, made some new friends, civilian and Forces.
Stayed on for the full two weeks which turned out well, the fresh snow gave a high avalanche risk earlier in the week, though by the end we managed a short day tour, which was magnificent.
I told my self it was a once in a lifetime experience - definitely going back next year!
touring sml .jpg
top lift start of tour.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG

edward

Post by edward » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:36 am

Hello Colin, my brother is interested in attending Telemark Titan in January. He is non-military. Can you advise on how to apply? Thanks very much. Edward.

colinstone

Post by colinstone » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Edward,
Great to hear and I've pm'd you with my email address.

There must be some more Telemark Talkers who would be interested??

colinstone

Post by colinstone » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Edward,

Or your brother can read here:
https://www.awsa.org.uk/telemark/
And scroll down to Ex Telemark Titan 2019 under regulations. There are 3 documents - the DIN is the most important bit.
Please contact me for any clarification - it is all a little military speak and not a bit like a holiday brochure!!

But, I am happy to answer any Qs.

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:07 am

It is £900 for Civilians, you have to pay all by 22 November. (I have still to pay, but will be doing so very soon). Looking forward to another great event- my technique has moved on (and up) so hoping to make the British Championship races this year.

ЧеловекКотлеткович

Post by ЧеловекКотлеткович » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:17 pm

Hi, guys! Can anyone tell me if anything similar will take place this year? I have been planning for a long time to spend some time in Pralognan la Vanoise, and I believe that this is a great opportunity to not only see the resort, but also learn new things and make new friends. I have some friends who are connected to a PA Hire company , so if there is anything I can help you with, just let me know. The 2020 year was a very tough year for me. Fortunately, I've made it through, so I'm looking forward to enjoying myself this year as much as possible.