Ski Care

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JGF

Ski Care

Post by JGF » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:29 am

I have googled ski care - specifically what to do so that the metal edges don't rust over the summer.., and the only thing i have seen is scraping.., and waxing.., and ironing...

it's more than i am probably going to do

is there a simpler option that might work nearly as well?

I was thinking of just putting glide wax on - i have the Swix F4 in the little tin

will that do any good?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Ski Care

Post by Woodserson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:36 am

I throw on a coat of warm snow wax and call it good. Then it's good to go in October. No scraping or multiple coats or anything. Otherwise, you can probably keep the F4 in the can. Keep them off the concrete in the basement or especially the garage. Humidity through the concrete will rust the edges in the tail. Dry cool dark location is best. Done and done.

JGF

Post by JGF » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:50 am

so, are you saying the F4 won't help?

can you provide a link to "warm snow wax" that you might use?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:06 pm

You're just trying to keep moisture off the edges to keep them from rusting. I know some people have used vaseline. F4 is expensive per oz, you might as well save it for skiing, which what I was kinda getting at.

I typically use Toko Non-FL waxes for different temperatures. Blue, Red, Yellow. So for summer I throw on Yellow (warm) and then, bonus! I ski it in the fall.

Look for universal temperature non-fluoro wax for cheapest wax since you want to keep it simple.

Just one example of cheap universal-temp wax: http://www.tognar.com/hertel-super-hot- ... board-wax/

Everyone's tolerances are different for waxing. This is fine, choose something that works for you and enjoy!

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:08 pm

Best is to iron on a generous coat of warm wax; don't scrape till next season. usually I'd just cover the edges with that coat too. I'd skip the F4, and save it for the specific conditions that call for it - it's a coating, it doesn't saturate the ptex, and isn't friendly to accepting your next wax choice.

Keeping the tails off the ground, as Woodsperson said, is also a good idea.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:45 pm

I would add that I have been using paraffin for the past couple of years. I put it on pretty thick so I get good flow over the edges. It comes off nicely when November comes around. The bases look fresh and the edges clean in November, and it is much cheaper than any ski wax. It seems to work well, but it has only been a couple of seasons.
My garage used to be the ski shop for me and my friends. Somebody always brought some type of wax I didn't care for, and that is what I used. Those days are past. I bought a cake of Swix red at the start of the year. I have a little left, probably because I started using Polar grip wax full length and no glide wax. Until I figure a reason not to, I will keep using paraffin for storage wax. I spent maybe $5 two years ago, and I still have enough to store skis for this season.

JGF

Post by JGF » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:05 pm

sorry if i am ignorant about this...

everything you guys are talking about needs to be melted and spread- right?

is there anything i can just rub on?

my skis are waxless - S-Bound 98's.., so i don't have much in the way of waxing gear

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:10 pm

I would imagine you could buy a tin of Nordic grip wax and cork it into the bases. You could wipe it on the edges as well to protect them. You will want to protect the extruded bases as well (the scaled part), you could use grip wax there as well. Grip wax costs money too, and you probably will need to buy some Goo Gone, or special ski wax remover to take it off.
Somebody gave me my wax iron probably 30 years ago. I saved it from the trash can then. The point is that any old used iron can be used for ski wax. I think you would be happy if you went that route.
If you decide to go the grip wax route, you might want to go Swix polar white wax. It makes a nice glide wax unless it is really cold, and when it's that cold skis will stick a bit regardless. It also is one of the nicer grip waxes to deal with. Red grip waxes can be a little sticky and messy.
Good luck, I recommend a wax iron. If you are fortunate skiing will become a part of your life, and a $10 garage sale can last longer than your skiing buddy's skiing careers.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Like fisheater says above. How you prefer to wax in-season; how you want your bases to perform, might influence your choice.
And again, as mentioned above... a cheap thrift shop iron and a scraper are pretty much all that's required to have a basic hot-waxing set up. You might come to appreciate the results and investment.