Best ski for Nnn-BC xcD

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Petetheswede
Ski style: Touring with turns
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Ingstad
Favorite boots: Lundhags Guide BC

Best ski for Nnn-BC xcD

Post by Petetheswede » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:11 am

Hi all! I have a pair of Nnn-BC Boots im very fond of. Hence I would like to do all my skiing with these. Also to maintain as small an amount of gear as possible. For XCd i have åsnes gamme. For dense Forest i have Hoks and tiak.

The question is, in between, which would be the perfect ski for my one shoe quiver. Im thinking forest rather than alpine to avoid avalanches and shorter than my 200 gammes. I would also be open to at least in more evil terrain use the lurk to improve the Nnn-BC turn.

Thankful for all thoughts and suggestions.

Cheers
Petter

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Best ski for Nnn-BC xcD

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Asnes Falketind 62.

I have the 68 (Storetind)- and although I am sure I could ride it with my NNNBC boots on ideal snow and moderate terrain- I think the 68 is too much ski (on challenging terrain/snow) for any NNNBC boot that I am currently aware of.

I personally think the FT62 was dreamed up by an XCD Knight that wants to rip turns with XC boots...

The 68 blows away every mid-width "XCD" ski I have ever tested (e.g. Karhu/Madsus Eon/Epoch/Annum; Fischer 78/88/98/112), but it is a very rigid and powerful ski. I am skiing tight, steep, forested terrain with the 68 that I could not safely enjoy with even the burliest NNNBC boots that I have tried.

If I bought a FT62 I would mount NNNBC on it.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Petetheswede

Post by Petetheswede » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:07 pm

What length would you think best? My weight is 75kg. Do you think i could go as Short as 180 with decent touring or do i have to go longer?

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Not sure...

The only advantage of the 180cm would be the maneuverability and the shorter turning radius.

The Asnes site recommends choosing based on skier height- as opposed to weight:
https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/falketind-62/

Pretty sure that Bob bought the 188cm FT 62.

I weigh 84kg and am 179cm tall. I own the 188cm Storetind/FT68. With all of their tip rocker- they certainly feel shorter than that when making turns- plus, they feel very stable and supportive both at downhill speed and when XC skiing in deep snow. I personally would not want the shorter length.

Perhaps Bob can give you better information.

Mountain Mitch

Post by Mountain Mitch » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:52 pm

I like the Salomon xAdv 89 for XCD. I would suggest a 185 - 190 range. Very light ski. Will turn easily. Not wide but has decent float in the soft stuff.

MartinF

Post by MartinF » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:30 am

Mountain Mitch wrote:I like the Salomon xAdv 89 for XCD.
I'm very new to the XCD genre - but this is a ski I could persuade to turn immediately with Rossi BCX 6 boots, NNN BC. My background is solidly alpine, so the turns were parallel... but nice and short.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:47 am

Hello,
I did purchase a Falketind 62 at 188 cm. I am 175 cm tall, and recent discovered I am up to 88 kg. I still wear the same size pants??? My old sports jacket is tight in the shoulders, but I'm not as strong as I was at 40??? My apologies for diverting into my questions about what happens as you age.
The FT 62 is a unique ski to me. It has considerable rocker, I did post photos in the review section. The rocker and the softer tips, and considerable sidecut, make for a ski that is very quick edge to edge. I ski this ski with a Voile 3 pin cable binding. I use this ski for both tourng for turns, as well as skiing with my son at low vertical (175m) but often icy Lower peninsula Michigan resorts. It is a nice ski for touring in soft snow. The deepest I have had the ski in is about one foot deep. It is very nice touring in soft snow. I had a bit of wax drag, on a hard pack trail. I think I could learn to adjust my waxing to reduce that drag.
This is a very light ski, and only 62 mm at the waist, I believe you could ski this ski with a NNN-BC binding. For my use, I enjoy it very much with an Alico Ski March boot, and a Voile 3-pin cable binding. Naturally I do not use the cables while touring, however if I have my small camelback pack, the cables will be in the pack. While my rig may be a bit light for our local lift served, it is fun, and it makes the terrain more interesting than it would be in heavy gear.
Cheers and good luck,
Bob

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:27 pm

The X-ADV 89 is a very soft-flexing ski- even softer than the similar-dimensioned Madshus Eon.

The flex pattern of the X-ADV 89 would be MUCH softer than the FT62, and would not have the torsional rigidity of the FT62.

I do not own the X-ADV 89- my close friend does, I have tried it out many times- it is certainly very easy to squash and pressure into a turn. I must admit that I am not a fan of skis as soft as this- I do not find it offers enough stability, nor will it hold an edge.

However- many people love the X-ADV 89 and it is certainly easily ridden with a soft XC boot.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:02 pm

I've got 210cm Gamme and I really like my 200cm Nato Combat skis for turns or deeper snow. Many people use NNNBC on Instad/NATO or Asnes Nansen. Depends on what you plan to do with the skis. A 190cm pair of Gamme may not be a bad idea either. I have different lengths of E99 and they behave very differently.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Petetheswede

Post by Petetheswede » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:35 am

Hi all! Thanks for Nice input and sorry im replying late. First a ton of work and then i went skiing to lick my wounds. After a lot of thinking (during skiing) i feel like any ski i would use has to be good for k&g because in Most Swedish settings this is always the biggest part of any tour inleds its pure yoyo skiing (for which i after all have Hoks and tiak).

My thinking is also since i want a moderate quiver this ski would be my powder tourer as well as my xcD ski. My previous (bad) experience with the nansen leads me to believe that any too soft ski is out of the game. Not downhill thrill in the world is worth pool cover Darkness to Me.

Its also worth to note that in moderate angles the Gamme 2m have not dissappointed me downhill as long as it floats. Which it does not always do leading to toe diving, faceplanting and misery.

This leads me to the conclusion that i probably want either falketind 62 in 188cm or the new ingstsd in either 195 or possibly eveb 205 for superfloaty Oil tanker downhill.

Questions then:
Cliffy (Gareth?). What do you think of Ingstsd length, it has to float. I weigh 75kg and carry max 15extra.

Fisheater: how do you feel the falketinds tiur in deep snow? Pool cover effect? Decent float? Decent k&g?

Thanks all!
Petter