13 seconds of powder bliss for your pleasure

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

13 seconds of powder bliss for your pleasure

Post by Woodserson » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:10 pm

Me, from a couple of weeks ago. It went from packed powder to 3 feet deep with no way to identify where. Notice how packed my helmet is with snow! Stuff like this... damn I LOVE SKIING. LOVE IT

(turn it up to listen to that sweet sweet New England wind!)

(vid in HD)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: 13 seconds of powder bliss for your pleasure

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:27 pm

Looking good Woods. I've had so much fun on a few days this year that it actually kept me up at night.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Packed pow to deep pow when you don't see it coming is when you want the big boards(110+ UF) They smooth out the ride.

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:32 pm

Excellent! Weather looks a little gothic. What skis are you on? What does your color commentator/buddy yell?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:59 am

lowangle al wrote:Packed pow to deep pow when you don't see it coming is when you want the big boards(110+ UF) They smooth out the ride.
Well, yes but I don't have skis that are 110 underfoot. Honestly, I wonder about the stresses on the knee on any ski above the mid-90 mark with T4's. I think Vectors and KOMs are the limit and then after that I'm risking weird knee torquing. Thoughts?
Lo-Fi wrote:Excellent! Weather looks a little gothic. What skis are you on? What does your color commentator/buddy yell?
Objectives 178 and he's yelling CHUCK FLANNEL my super-popular and super-good-looking ski trail alter-ego! CHUCK FLANNEL!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:07 am

Nice turns Woods! Really nice ski trail as well! Arc on Chuck Flannel!
Three exclamation marks, not sure what that means, but I think that is about 2 more than I would normally use. I guess that was a great 13 Seconds.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:40 pm

At one time skis in the mid 90s were my limit, maybe a little more than my limit and I do remember having issues with my knees getting them on edge. As time went on and I got used to them and my skiing got better I no longer had the knee issues.

I've had my powder boards about ten years and over time I was able to get them to work with lighter boots and in a wider variety of conditions.

The learning curve would have been a lot shorter if I spent more time at a resort using the gear, but up until about 5 years ago(when I got Vectors) 90% of my skiing was with leather boots and skinney skis.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:17 pm

lowangle al wrote:At one time skis in the mid 90s were my limit, maybe a little more than my limit and I do remember having issues with my knees getting them on edge. As time went on and I got used to them and my skiing got better I no longer had the knee issues.

I've had my powder boards about ten years and over time I was able to get them to work with lighter boots and in a wider variety of conditions.

The learning curve would have been a lot shorter if I spent more time at a resort using the gear, but up until about 5 years ago(when I got Vectors) 90% of my skiing was with leather boots and skinney skis.
If I'm reading this correctly, you are now skiing skis that are wider than the Vectors with the T4's?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:18 pm

fisheater wrote:Arc on Chuck Flannel!
Thanks Fish for the words- and this is my new motto! Now I must teach it to my commentator.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:46 pm

Woodserson wrote:If I'm reading this correctly, you are now skiing skis that are wider than the Vectors with the T4's?
Yep, old voile insanes 150-110-140 with X2s. They have inserts and I wanted to swap out the x2s for 3Pin HWs without the heel throws to see how that goes.