What alpine skis are people using for telemark?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Logancastle

What alpine skis are people using for telemark?

Post by Logancastle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:34 am

Hi - I've been telemarking since 1991. I've always used telemark skis. My current pair of 185cm Hagans with black diamond cable bindings are 10 years old. It's time for an upgrade. I can't find any telemark skis in Ontario (where I live) so I'm considering buying some alpine skis. I'm 6 foot, 200 lbs. I ski mainly groomed trials some powder. I want to move from 195cm to a pair of 175cm. Also - should I use shims? Whats the benefit? Should I also consider the new bindings with built in breaks?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Don

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Re: What alpine skis are people using for telemark?

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:06 pm

Any alpine ski will do...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:33 pm

SccottyBob Headrush.... oh that's a Tele Ski (the only ones?)

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Some ultralight touring and racing skis will be difficult to mount a telemark binding safely on, but apart from that any alpine ski will work.

And I do agree that it might be a good idea to get a new binding also, after 10 years things start to break, and spares for those bindings I think are scarce today.

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:46 am

What kind of binding or which BD binding do you have? 01 (4 hole pattern from 2006), 02 or 03? There is plenty of spares for those, specially 01 & 02

Logancastle

Post by Logancastle » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks for the responses.

I've attached a pic of my skis with the bindings - I plan to leave these on the skis and buy new bindings.

Do most tele skiers use the shims under their bindings? I've seen the new bindings with breaks - are these popular or should I stick with the wire bindings like what I already ski with?

I ski mainly groomed trails out east so would I likely want something with a narrower waist and more of a sidecut?

Thanks

Don
IMG_3867.jpg

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:38 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2006

Some of the bindings with brakes are NTN, a different type of binding, you'd need new NTN boots too.

Lots of 75mm bindings available online, check ebay. G3 Targas, BD 02, etc etc.

Any mid 80 waisted ski will suit you well.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:41 am

Woodserson wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2006

Some of the bindings with brakes are NTN, a different type of binding, you'd need new NTN boots too.

Lots of 75mm bindings available online, check ebay. G3 Targas, BD 02, etc etc.

Any mid 80 waisted ski will suit you well.
Woods beat me to it, I have an old Voile releasable binding with brakes but I doubt that's what you mean.

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:40 pm

These aren't BD bindings, but G3 Targa... They are still making them (at least they still have sone stock to sell). Looking to tour? Might be better to get a tourable version... Not sure where you are skiing...

PS: I just read that you ski groomed terrain... lots of choice...

Coolwhip

Post by Coolwhip » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 am

Logancastle wrote:Do most tele skiers use the shims under their bindings? I've seen the new bindings with breaks - are these popular or should I stick with the wire bindings like what I already ski with?
Shims (wedge-shaped risers) were intended to take some slack out of the bindings and compensate for a problem some people experienced due to the curve of their boot soles. Most newer designs move the pivot point of the binding back to provide more leverage for pressuring the front of the ski. Shims were available for Targas, but I don't think you need to add a shim if you haven't had any problems in the past.
Logancastle wrote:I've seen the new bindings with breaks - are these popular or should I stick with the wire bindings like what I already ski with?
Brakes are nice to have - particularly if it is a design that doesn't also require leashes. Nobody really likes leashes, right?

I haven't bought any new skis of the type you're looking for recently, so I can't make any specific recommendation. You might check out some stores that specialize in telemark equipment and see what they're promoting as a piste-biased ski - basically, skis that are available flat and have a bit slimmer profile. For instance, the Telemark Shop likes the Volkl Kanjo and Telemarkdown carries the Atomic Vantage and Rossi Experience 88. At 6', 200lbs, I don't see why you would go shorter than 180 for this type of ski.