To pulk or not to pulk?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

To pulk or not to pulk?

Post by randoskier » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:05 pm

I say Pulk! Off to Norway-Sweden for a 21 day trip next month. Last year had 56 lb pack at the start, ugh. Ran into seven French skiers with pulks (only skiers we saw that whole trip), seemed like a good idea...so I just fashioned this out of a Jet Sled Jr and some fiberglass fence posts, a few ball-joints, and a week or two of swearing. The hip belt is a $5 Army MOLLE belt. Pulk is short (43 inches) and easy to strap on the back if we want. Easy size for air transport- two of them nest and fit in a bike bag, poles go in the ski bag. I'll test this rig in Asiago this weekend and post my verdict. Up to Norway 7 April.

I imagine side stepping with a pulk sucks....

Anyone have any pulk experiences?
20180319_162535[1].jpg
20180319_162515[1].jpg
20180319_162456[1].jpg
20180319_162348[1].jpg
20180318_171732[1].jpg
20180318_110800[1].jpg

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: To pulk or not to pulk?

Post by bgregoire » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:47 pm

For that long a trip, and particularly, that much weight, the pulk is a great way to go. We spent 50 days up there ski camping with larger pulks.

Great job! any chance you could produce more of those pulk connectors? I would be interested!

Suggestion: I recommend attaching the two poles together at the center, perhaps like this example:
http://utahclimbers.com/misc/pulk/
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:50 pm

There's a guy in Minnesota that makes pulks and pulk parts and it looks like you just nailed his aesthetic. I can't tell a difference between your hardware and his. NIce job!

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:52 am

I originally bought the channels to hold the poles from Grant, the "guy in Minnesota". They were too small for my 1/2" ball-joint rod-ends so I sent them back. I fashioned these larger ones using the hole-saw method that I saw on a post by the Yukon chapter of the Alpine Club of Canada, great method. I used a three inch hole saw bit on the drill press, the two square alu tubes came from McMaster and Carr. I used female threaded rod ends 1/2" 20. Threading the 1/2" fiberglass poles seemed impossible- went to my auto mechanic and he told me to throw my $19.99 cheapo tap and die set in the garbage and buy a decent die- it was not easy finding a 1/2" 20 die in Italy but I eventually did- with a good die it was very simple. Screwed em and glued em. The straps idea is from Gary Rath who has an interesting build out of a Jet Sled on his Land of Rath website which has a lot of info. The idea to use the female threaded ball joints and MOLLE belt is from the Utah Climbers board. Essential tools- drill press, and a good quality die for threading.

Bgregoire- where did you ski in Norway? Sorry but I I made only six channels- need two for me and two for the missus. Screwed up the drilling of the cotter pinhole on one and the remaining one is in my spares bag. If you want to make them there are two ways- One, the hole-saw bit (2.5" bit if you are using 3/8" rod ends, 3" bit if using 1/2" rod ends)- get two square tubes of 1/8" alu 6063 is fine for this purpose and easier to machine than 6061. Use a lot of WD40 for cutting oil (see details on Yukon alpine club site). These tubes are 1-1/4" wide, McMaster Carr has a 5/16"diameter safety pin that fits between them exactly, my ball joints are over size (1/2" eyes) so I got a clear PVC tube from McMaster- it is 5/16" ID and 1/2" OD, slipped in on the pin and it works great and is quieter. Most people use 3/8" inch rod ends not 1/2"- if you go that route you can buy the channels with backing plates and the pins and screws for 20 bucks complete from Skipulk in Minn (less cursing!). The second way to fashion these channels is to buy 1/8" alu U-profile stock and cut two angled sides with a hack saw, it will be a little squarer but will also work fine- when you drill the cotter pin hole make sure you have a piece of wood or something between the sides to keep them from depressing and skewing your pin hole.
Last edited by randoskier on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:16 am

This is the French (+2 Quebecois) pulk party that we ran into on the Saltfjellet near the end of our first Norway trip last year. We followed their nice track out to the arctic highway, only time we did not have to break trail during the whole trip. I asked them to tell me where they are skiing next year so we can follow a day later : ) They were excellent skiers and do a a month long trip every year. I speak French and we had a lot of fun with them, good company.
DSC08389.jpg
DSC08371.jpg
DSC08370.jpg
DSC08364.jpg

t-$

Post by t-$ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:54 am

i think you are on the right track here. it's like anything, it may take some getting used to but the enjoyment level, imo, goes up on long trips when you don't have 50+ lbs on your back.

obviously there are some techniques that you will have to figure out. depending on where you go, there may be times when pulling the sled by hand is safer/easier than staying tied in. you have plenty of lead, so sidestepping or duckwalking shouldn't be an issue. really, the downhills are what took me the longest to get used to with a pulk. most of the time i just give up and sled down like a kid. it's way more fun, and strangely, safer.

but have fun in norway!!! please post a trip report with lots of pics!

wooley12

Post by wooley12 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:19 am

Nice build. I made a pulk to pull grandchildren similar to yours and yours looks up to the task. I really over built mine and lent it to a Denali summit expedition. The only negative feed back I got was that the slop where the poles attach to the belt was annoying with every step and they made some adjustments.
IMG_20140620_092246.jpg

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Nice job! My wife (an RN) was an NPS Rescue Climber on Denali for the 1994 season, based out of the 14.200 foot medical camp. She pulled a Paris pulk up there (with rope leads) which was quite a hassle as they were all rigged together for glacier travel. She said the heavier gear and provisions were brought up to the site by USAF and USN choppers. Sadly her climbing partner Kim, on loan from the Korean Park Service, died on the mountain that season during some ice climbing on a day off from rescue duties.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:02 pm

randoskier wrote: Bgregoire- where did you ski in Norway?
You can fin our itinerary here:
http://living-laponia.tumblr.com/itineraire

Happy travels!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

t-$

Post by t-$ » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:33 pm

hahaha, holy shit.

that's one heck of an itinerary. i'd reckon that pushes the limit of the word "itinerary". unless i'm reading the milage wrong...good on ya. i'm definitely a little envious