Lynx in my yard

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Lynx in my yard

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:28 pm

P1040217 (2).JPG
I had four of these in my yard last evening.

iBjorn

Re: Lynx in my yard

Post by iBjorn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:34 pm

Thats cool, here in Sweden they are extremely shy.

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Wow; awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:02 pm

iBjorn wrote:Thats cool, here in Sweden they are extremely shy.
Here they seem extremely dumb. My neighbor got out of her car and walked within ten feet of one for a picture and it didn't move. These were young ones, but I experienced the same thing with a full grown adult.

I tried to post more pics but when I clicked resize it reappeared as abstract lines. I'm pretty sure I repeated what I did on the first picture.

Thanks Satchel

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:09 pm

P1040225.JPG

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:12 pm

P1040214.JPG
I think I may have it, for now anyway. Now if I could remember how to upload a video.

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:43 pm

That is really cool! I was just saying to my wife the other day that I've yet to spot a wild cat on any travels, skiing or canoeing. That comment was made on a day we were happy to watch 4 coyotes hunting for mice under the snow in a meadow in RMNP. And same day: cow moose and yearling calf on a BC trail 25 m. from us. Were the lynx sightings a first for you, or have you made other ones up there in Alaska? And so close!!

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:31 pm

martin2007 wrote:That is really cool! I was just saying to my wife the other day that I've yet to spot a wild cat on any travels, skiing or canoeing. That comment was made on a day we were happy to watch 4 coyotes hunting for mice under the snow in a meadow in RMNP. And same day: cow moose and yearling calf on a BC trail 25 m. from us. Were the lynx sightings a first for you, or have you made other ones up there in Alaska? And so close!!
I've seen a few in the neighborhood, one whilw mountain biking and one while moose hunting. The one I saw moose hunting scared the crap out of me. I was walking real slow and quiet and when I looked down there was a huge one about 5 feet away. He flattened himself against the ground, to hide I guess, but it looked like he was going to pounce. I jumped back about three feet and he did the same. I circled to the left, he circled to the right and we both went on our way. Within 20 feet of us circling each other he was stalking a bird that was in the bushes pretty much unaffected by the encounter.

My wife called the neighbor to tell him to take a look and he told her he had a wolverine on his game camera recently.

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:38 am

Thats neat. I hope to spot a bobcat one of these days, but they are pretty elusive around here. Ill have to settle for bear, deer, moose and yuppies.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:37 am

Wicked cool, Al! No Lynx here. They are sweet cats.

We had a bobcat in my yard a few years ago harassing my chickens. My wife went out to shoo it away and it took its sweet time... I don't think it's dumb per se, I'd say it just doesn't give a shit!