Lynx in my yard

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Re: Lynx in my yard

Post by 1EyedJack » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:22 am

Cool Cats, Al.
P9110878.JPG
^^^This was in northeastern Czech Republic last fall, a sanctuary to eventually release to its native habitat.
The cats of the wild are very interesting. No lynx around here (southern Oregon Cascades), but we have our share of cougars (no, not those "cougars". but, yes, we have those too...).
We also have our share of grey wolves that migrated from the Snake River area (NE Oregon/Idaho). Bigfoot on all fours.

P.S. My highschool mascot was/is Kellogg Wildcats (nthn Idaho). Nickname for the lynx.
Last edited by 1EyedJack on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

anemic

Post by anemic » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Fabulous cat tales!!! And photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call it Nordic Freeride

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:24 pm

Damn those are cool photos Al! Thanks for sharing. I have never seen a lynx. They may be in the woods where I live (a close friend swears he saw one while deer hunting) but I've never seen one.

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:48 pm

Neat photos. Thanks for sharing. There was one year here on the kenai when I spotted several lynx in broad daylight traveling. It was a year when the hare had peaked in abundance the year before and then crashed. Other than that, I have only seen a very few in 40 plus years of wandering wilderness areas of alaska. Cool animals,must have been awesome to view them from your home.

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:53 am

Wow - even better than finding a set of new 22 Designs bindings?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:38 am

I was lucky to have seen them at all and that they hung around for about a half hour was really special. Since then I've heard that there was a litter born under someones porch in the neighborhood and that another neighbor had 6 in their yard recently.

STG

Post by STG » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:59 am

Great photos! You are fortunate to have such incredible wildlife in your yard! I have never seen a Lynx although I have encountered many other creatures. I had a wolf lope downhill within 4 feet of me while I taking a break from skiing resting on a slope. It is not just about the snow: wildlife is what makes the backcountry skiing so special.

Desmo

Post by Desmo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:41 pm

Cool pics! We get black bears, turkeys, deer, coyotes, but haven't seen any cats. Our neighbor says she saw a bobcat not too long ago...

I also see otter tracks often when out skiing, but I haven't seen any actual otters yet.