Slightly active bindings: Voile Switchback or X2

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Slightly active bindings: Voile Switchback or X2

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Ok so I'm not way off base with black cartridges- they seem appropriate then. I'll continue with mix&match blue/black. Thanks!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat May 26, 2018 5:47 pm

lowangle al wrote:That's what I thought. The bellows on my T4 collapse pretty easily even with three pins.

Woods it sounds like you like where the pivot point is on the HWs but you want more activity from stiffer springs. It may be a good idea because you can tour w/o the heel throws and have extra power for the down. Let us know how it works.
End-o-season update: I have gone whole-hog-- I use the Blue Hardwire Toe Piece matched with X2 Black Cartridges and have been very pleased. It's a great combo. The Objectives have them and I've skied them a bunch and have zero complaints and will not be going back. I like the 3-pin feel for skinning and the black cartridges give more power than the blues. I now have a box full of blue cartridges. Let me know if you want some (not free).

Caveat: The angle of the dangle on the steel rebar heelpiece that connects the cartridges may not meet the angle of the rods coming out of the toepiece for people with small feet. Keep this in mind. I am a mondo 30.5 and it works well because there's enough play, a much smaller foot may not have this kind of flexibility.

So it works great for an 85mm waisted ski. Will it work for an 97mm or 99mm waisted ski too? We shall see...

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Sat May 26, 2018 9:53 pm

Caveat: The angle of the dangle on the steel rebar heelpiece that connects the cartridges may not meet the angle of the rods coming out of the toepiece for people with small feet. Keep this in mind. I am a mondo 30.5 and it works well because there's enough play, a much smaller foot may not have this kind of flexibility.

I'm not sure what you're saying with this Woods? I have a 26.0 boot and am thinking of upgrading my Hardwire cartridges to the X2 on my TTS set-up. Will I have an issue?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun May 27, 2018 9:31 am

Nick BC wrote:Caveat: The angle of the dangle on the steel rebar heelpiece that connects the cartridges may not meet the angle of the rods coming out of the toepiece for people with small feet. Keep this in mind. I am a mondo 30.5 and it works well because there's enough play, a much smaller foot may not have this kind of flexibility.

I'm not sure what you're saying with this Woods? I have a 26.0 boot and am thinking of upgrading my Hardwire cartridges to the X2 on my TTS set-up. Will I have an issue?
I will take pictures and get back to you

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun May 27, 2018 10:31 am

Check this picture out:
20180527_102332.jpg
The right ski has the binding at my 30.5 boot and they mate nice, no problems. The left ski has the rods all the way in, as if it was for a very short boot, and they don't come close to being able to work. The metal connecting piece between the cartridges is slightly different between blue, red, and black-- but blue and black are mostly close enough. With large feet I am able to get away swapping blues for blacks. You can always try and see what happens...

I have known people who have bent the metal connecting the cartridges, or bent their rods... ymmv. I also know these people have suffered failures for some of their mods.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sun May 27, 2018 1:35 pm

I wear size 25 MP boots and had no problem with HW and black X2 cartridge... but I am also using small rods; that might make a difference...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Nick BC

Post by Nick BC » Sun May 27, 2018 4:48 pm

Thanks Woods I see what you're getting at now and thanks Rod for the confirmation.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Sat May 16, 2020 9:02 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 10:31 am
Check this picture out:

20180527_102332.jpg

The right ski has the binding at my 30.5 boot and they mate nice, no problems. The left ski has the rods all the way in, as if it was for a very short boot, and they don't come close to being able to work. The metal connecting piece between the cartridges is slightly different between blue, red, and black-- but blue and black are mostly close enough. With large feet I am able to get away swapping blues for blacks. You can always try and see what happens...

I have known people who have bent the metal connecting the cartridges, or bent their rods... ymmv. I also know these people have suffered failures for some of their mods.

Howdy, thinking about ordering some stiffer X2 cartridges for my hardwire 3 pin bindings. Woods did you just buy the cartridges for hardwires or the rods too? I was gonna purchase some to replace my blues but not sure if my stock rods will thread into the X2 cartridge. I wear a size 28 mondo boot. So judging by your pics it should work. Thanks!

Nick BC

Post by Nick BC » Sat May 16, 2020 11:43 pm

Don't quote me on this, but I think the Voile rods (small and large) fit both the Hardwire and SB2 spring boxes.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun May 17, 2020 7:13 am

Nick BC wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:43 pm
Don't quote me on this, but I think the Voile rods (small and large) fit both the Hardwire and SB2 spring boxes.
Yes.

It might work, with a 28... could be very close though. Remember it's a question of the angle of rods coming off the toe piece and the angle of the cartridges on the heel piece, we're playing with two different angles here, the longer the distance, the more one can use the wobbliness of the rods to play to your favor.

Let us know