Mikaela Shiffrin

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

Mikaela Shiffrin

Post by Harris » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:54 pm

My God, could the media put any more pressure on this girl! Before her first run she was seen puking. You know, she is an awesome skier, and on the World Cup she is dominating, but you are only as good as your last finish, and there are many in line for the crown. She knows this, but the media in an almost sinister way hyped her up as unbeatable. Mommy doesn't seem to be helping either, giving credence to the media's hype. Mikaela isn't just racing anymore; she has been put into position of having to live up to m media expectations and defying their want for her to fail. It is sad really. Why do we do this to our athletes? Why do we have to burden them with the pitfalls of celebrity status?

Harris

Re: Mikaela Shiffrin

Post by Harris » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:06 pm

This is really cool (footage from her GS win).

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:54 pm

I have to say it does seem like she has overprotective, controlling parents, I don't like their demeanor. Is she allowed to hit the clubs and have boyfriends in Europe and stuff like that? I hope so :D :D

Besides being the absolute terminator in the slalom events she also seems more humble than Vonn which is cool. It's too bad the European women on the World Cup are having more fun than her. You begin to understand why Bode Miller moved into his own RV to get away from the Ski Team
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Digger

Post by Digger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 pm

I would puke too if I internalized the "America is counting on you" crap.

The kid can rip. We all have have bad days. She was 8 100ths from bronze and 4 10ths from gold.

That's a gust of wind or a smattering of dirt in the snow.

I know these are the sorts of times that happen every week on the world cup tour. I just hope she lets it go and crushes the season.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:12 am

She is just a child....Man can she ski...Piss on the world, just ski Mikaela....Love the gift you have....The rest is rubbish...TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:45 am

greatgt wrote:She is just a child....Man can she ski...Piss on the world, just ski Mikaela....Love the gift you have....The rest is rubbish...TM
x2 Teleman Well said

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:45 pm

I think the pressure came from being the big favorite, winning the last Olympics and then the next three world titles(i think). I thought she would have to be pretty lucky to win the big race 5 times in a row considering everything has to go just right. I don't think winning the GS the night before helped either, the emotional high probably left her a little off her game the next day.

As for the puking, she has been having problems with nerves in the past without all the media attention. I don't think she wants to shy away from the limelight or she wouldn't be doing all those product endorsements. I think the media was guilty of asking her stupid questions, but not for her losing the race. According to Mikaela she lost the race because she skied her first run too conservative.

I really like her and hope she does well.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:15 pm

World Cup titles mean 10 times more than Olympic medals, it means you consistently bring it all winter long. As Bode Miller said in the Olympics everyone is going crazy, risking it all to get into one of the top 3 spots. I think the top 15 finishers in World Cup races get points. Ted Ligety dominated like Shiffrin for a while but he couldn't keep it going like she does, will be interesting to see how long her run lasts.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Harris

Post by Harris » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:31 pm

It seems that as she approached Stenmark's record her nerve problems really started kicking in; the pressure to be unbeatable really ramped up as she approached his record. She seems very down to earth, much more so than Vonn, but Vonn started to fall apart the more attention her skiing brought (interviews, glam and Sports Illustrated shoots, etc.).

Seems like Mikaela is starting to change. During one interview about her slalom loss she stated that she is the best slalom skier in the world and only beats herself. That isn't the Mikaela from just a year ago. That sounds more like Vonn, i.e. arrogant. My jaw dropped. She may be stating a current fact, but in sports today's hero is tomorrow's nobody, no-one is invincible and there are a number of women who are right there to beat her and deserve more respect; it sounded like she's started to drink too much of the Cool Aid.

Before the Games started, as the Mikaela hype really started ramping up, I was telling a buddy that she'd likely crumble. You could just see it coming. Not that I wanted her to lose, but I believe in the celebrity curse. I think this whole "Brand" mentality is a huge distraction at best. It may be lucrative in a way unimaginable to many of the top athletes of yesterday (thinking like Billy Kidd, Phil and Steve Mahre), but celebrity status and brand creation changes kids, and not usually for the better. As much as I was hoping Mikaela would win, her loss might be the best thing for her skiing right now. Hopefully it will ground her back to where she needs to be, and can go on to a long career healthily competing on the WC. My daughter is her same age, and she's at an age where she is quickly morphing from the girl she was into becoming the woman she will be. Let's hope she keeps some of that Mikaela charm. The sport needs it way more than it needs another Sports Illustrated pin up Vonn.

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:56 pm

NBC commentator/interviewer (not Bode) and main announcer both introduced the slalom event as (paraphrasing) “as champion and repeat winner, Michaela will now win gold...”. Lazy and presumptuous, or just stupid, reporting that doesn’t respect the contest or the competition. Michaela needs to arrange her management to shield her from this stupidity and no sense. She’s young and let them pull her into the idea that it’s all about her. Her great success so far has been due to her hard work and focus on the competition. NBC, the US racing association(s) and Olympic committees, all want to use her to get their needs met. She needs someone smart to block all that doe her.

Same NBC stupidity— interviewer asking Veith “how does it feel to have won gold in the Super G?” With a dozen skiers yet to race. This is why I watch Olympics on CBC or BBC.

Even without Bob Costas, NBC’s tradition of utter stupidity and contempt for winter sport continues.