What happened to Steve Barnett??

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
t-$

What happened to Steve Barnett??

Post by t-$ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 pm

anybody know? no real reason other than i am interested in how somebody can go from basically helping to start a "movement", write a book, and then just drop of the map without dying.

i do hope he is still sending it...

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: What happened to Steve Barnett??

Post by phoenix » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:20 am

He was stillactive as of a few years ago, and used to post occassionally on another site. I'll bet he's still skiing regularly, just tired of going public.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:06 pm

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:59 pm

If anybody finds him, tell him I'd like to have him over for dinner. :lol:

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:59 pm

I talk to him for an article I wrote last year. Still skiing. Not doing big hut to hut trips anymore; he is more into day trips. By the way, he is skiing all kinds of set-up, freeheel I mean. But I am puzzled; why are you asking? He didn't hide or anything. He is just living his own life...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

t-$

Post by t-$ » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:10 pm

well, truth be told it was when i read an "obituary" for a fairly well known skier that past away recently. it just got me thinking (since i feel most alike to what sb did than most other "famous" skiers that i know and have read about, even tho he also does way bigger stuff than i ever hope to do). so when i went to look for recent books from him or things he had written i was surprised i didn't see anything. just curiosity really.

but seriously, it's cool to hear that he is still kicking it. thanks!

MartinHielo

Post by MartinHielo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi guys. I been looking for me Barnett for over 30 years. Tried Sierra Club Books, white pages and nothing.

My name is Juan Martin Skvarca, I live in Utah since 2017 and the reason I am reaching to you is to see if you can help me find the very same Steve Barnett who published few books about skiing among them the one he shipped to me to Argentina back in 1988 right after he returned from a Trekking in the Patagonian Ice Field we both were in.

The book is called "The Best Ski Touring in America" a Sierra Club Book. At the time I got the book there was no internet and depended entirely in postal mail but unfortunately my dad at the time did not realize the importance of keeping the wrapping paper containing that info so I could not return his gesture. Ever since then been trying to find a way to thank him for that book but not being successful yet.

I tried a few phone numbers from enlisted Barnett Steve's in the Seattle/Everett area but no luck either.

Hope he is still alive and kicking!

Thanks.

Martin

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:03 pm

I believe he lives in Bellingham WA.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:43 pm

MartinHielo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:25 pm
Hi guys. I been looking for me Barnett for over 30 years. Tried Sierra Club Books, white pages and nothing.

My name is Juan Martin Skvarca, I live in Utah since 2017 and the reason I am reaching to you is to see if you can help me find the very same Steve Barnett who published few books about skiing among them the one he shipped to me to Argentina back in 1988 right after he returned from a Trekking in the Patagonian Ice Field we both were in.

The book is called "The Best Ski Touring in America" a Sierra Club Book. At the time I got the book there was no internet and depended entirely in postal mail but unfortunately my dad at the time did not realize the importance of keeping the wrapping paper containing that info so I could not return his gesture. Ever since then been trying to find a way to thank him for that book but not being successful yet.

I tried a few phone numbers from enlisted Barnett Steve's in the Seattle/Everett area but no luck either.

Hope he is still alive and kicking!

Thanks.

Martin
Martin, PM Rodbelan here at Telemarktalk.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM