strange behavior of new skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
plt

strange behavior of new skis

Post by plt » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:52 am

Hey folks,
This season I've bought a pair of Belafontes (skiing them with Outlaws/TXComps).In icy conditions, on right turns they behave pretty normal, as expected, on left turns, they are catching an edge really badly and its really hard to tilt them up, they seemed unskiable. If I changed the ski to
the other foot, they skied better, but far from good. So I detuned the
tips an tails more and more, an even the whole ski, but still the same
problem. So took the ski to my local ski shop, they
checked the bases with a true bar, they were flat as they should be.
So they regrinded all the edges to be sure that all angles are correct.
They skied better, but still same problem, same side on both skis.
I've switched back to my old mantras, same bindings (inserts), same boots, no problem...
Any advices on that?

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: strange behavior of new skis

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:08 am

I'd start by looking at the boot/binding part of the equation, if you haven't already. Meaning proper attachment and alignment.

plt

Post by plt » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:54 am

phoenix wrote:I'd start by looking at the boot/binding part of the equation, if you haven't already. Meaning proper attachment and alignment.
thanks for you answer.
How do you mean that?
The bindings were mountet at factory line, later I've moved them at - 3,8 which improved the feeling for me, but did not changed anything on that strange behavior. I've checked the mounting too, the bindings are mountet perfectly in the middle of the ski and straight too. I can exclude a Problem with the bindings, because i had a pair of outlaws and later a pair of outlaw xs mountet on the ski, and the problems are the same.
I've played a bit with the canting settings on the boots, no improvement, but I am no expert, so maybe that could be a solution? But as mentioned above, my Mantras with the same boots are skiing fine.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:01 am

Hmmm... I'm puzzled.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:05 am

Canting could be a solution, but not the source of the problem since it's working with other skis...

There must be something wrong with your springs... Check them out, one must be adjusted very high and the other one at a very low setting...

If everything's ok, then it's just a matter of getting used to the skis... Some skis require more force and power to drive them... Maybe your muscles are used to another type of skis... Just ski them a lot, muscle memory will adjust over time...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:07 pm

If the problem skis are wider or stiffer they can give you a problem. Is it possible you have a stronger turn to one side and your left foot isn't carving as well as the right foot when it is the uphill ski?

plt

Post by plt » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks for the inputs!
I can exclude the spring settings, since I have switched ski from one to the other foot multiple times, and both bindings are set on +/- the same setting and both are on stiffy springs. I do have a strong and a weak turn, but could this cause kind of problems? I'm noticing problems on the leading and the trailing foot when turning left, right turns work like a charm

Something other that may have something to do with it: I noticed some "twist" in my skis, when i put them together base to base, there is a gap of 2mm at one side of the skis ( where there should be contact like at the other side). Or is this simply manufacturing tolerance?
20180129_182138.jpg
20180129_182211.jpg

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:04 pm

What I call a "warped" ski. It is a defect, it can/will affect turning, and is not within tolerances. I can't say how it came about though.

plt

Post by plt » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:47 am

They have been already warped when I mounted them. So you think I should warranty them?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:00 am

plt wrote:They have been already warped when I mounted them. So you think I should warranty them?
I would, definitely! And you didn't notice when you mounted them, only when you skied them, and noticed how they were so deficient. Moment is an American company, they have credibility at stake here. Individual experiences count here.