"upgrade" to pins?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Falketind 62;Asnes Storetind Carbon
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance BC; Alpina Alaska BC; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: "upgrade" to pins?

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:06 pm

I am still not clear on all of this man-

What kind of skiing do you want to do again?

And I apologize if I gave you a false impression- I certainly was not trying to push you towards plastic boots...Because it remains unclear to me what skiing you want to do...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al
XCD Guide
XCD Guide

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:09 pm

lilcliffy wrote:I am still not clear on all of this man-

What kind of skiing do you want to do again?

I think Nordic, but I thought you knew that. :)

t-$
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead

Post by t-$ » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:40 pm

haha, shit- i don't know! but after reading that description/review i'm pretty stoked i got such a deal on these things. they sound pretty awesome.

these are gonna be put on a ski that i can take on to some blue runs at the hill (on good snow days) and use a little for chasing turns in some of the areas around here.

i guess i am considering this my foray into "telemark" gear...(trying not to start another debate about what is telemark), as opposed to xcd gear. and the t4's are on sale at rei online right now. but still can't afford them. i'll wait till this summer cause i'm pretty confident there will still be some floating around in a couple months!! still thinking about what ski to put em on.

this isn't gonna be my everyday ski. i might change my mind after i ski this rig one day, but i foresee me using these a couple times per season.

Nick BC
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC, Salomon QST 99 and G3 Stinger XCD
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:36 am

One issue I had with the Spike 3 pin was the fact that I couldn't get my last generation T3 far enough into the toe piece to connect with the toe pins and snap it shut. After a session with the drill and sanding the sides of the duckbill I got it to work. Great binding, mine is going on a new pair of Stinger XCD's (see ski review section).

greatgt
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead

Post by greatgt » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:27 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Tried them when they came out....couldn't get the leather boot to fit....Bummer!.....Also the lifters.....Don't like lifters in the bush....don't like lifters anywhere....bummer.....so Rotta super tele are the ticket for me....Then again I like boots to wide and to long so figure that out....And using the boot cuff for power, forget it....Leathers better conform to my feet AND leg which then becomes an adage....or....part of my anatomy....Wouldn't worry if the above doesn't compute....Back to soft boiler...Still large areas of cruising to be had around here...TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, Objectives and all Asnes skis.
Favorite boots: ALFA Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:56 am

Same thing here... I had 3 pairs of Spikes / Bulldogz, both the blue and the black ones ... They didn't fit my Alaskas at all, even with tons of shim and mods...

Even met Louis in person here down in VT, where he installed another special plate on the binding... Which sort of fixed the problem if I remember... Very helpful, BEST customer service ever!!!

They are really, really awesome step-in bindings for Excursion-type plastic boots. Well made, beautiful, powerful and efficient design. Awesome for roaming around the BC or on-piste. But I find them just too heavy for XCD, even with a capital D...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

STG
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead

Post by STG » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:56 pm

Thoughtful comments and informed opinions. My conclusion: there is no ski/system that will do it all (touring or downhill). If you have the money, invest in gear and experiment. Using different equipment requires adaptation, nuance and versatility in your ski technique.This might make you a more skilled skier?

t-$
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead

Post by t-$ » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:08 pm

STG wrote:Thoughtful comments and informed opinions. My conclusion: there is no ski/system that will do it all (touring or downhill). If you have the money, invest in gear and experiment. Using different equipment requires adaptation, nuance and versatility in your ski technique.This might make you a more skilled skier?
skilled and knowledgeable skier hopefully. plus the hope is that it will expand my range a little to include some resort stuff. and i couldn't agree more, thoughtful comments and informed opinions. that's why i like this place!

edited to add, that after rereading, it seems kind of ridiculous that i want to "expand my range" onto the resorts. sometimes i am such a dumbass. i wish it would snow again, for real...i need to get out and clear my head!!

lowangle al
XCD Guide
XCD Guide

Post by lowangle al » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:53 pm

t-$ wrote:
STG wrote:Thoughtful comments and informed opinions. My conclusion: there is no ski/system that will do it all (touring or downhill). If you have the money, invest in gear and experiment. Using different equipment requires adaptation, nuance and versatility in your ski technique.This might make you a more skilled skier?
I think using the different equipment will get you the skills faster.

edited to add, that after rereading, it seems kind of ridiculous that i want to "expand my range" onto the resorts. sometimes i am such a dumbass. i wish it would snow again, for real...i need to get out and clear my head!!
That sounds valid to me.

t-$
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead

Post by t-$ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:14 am

lowangle al wrote:
That sounds valid to me.
which part, the part about me being a dumbass??!! hehehehe :lol: 8-)