Waxless Scale Patterns- What's your favourite Flavor?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: SWAP?

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:41 am

Let us know how you like the Glitt MGV Anemic. Personally, I like the waxable version- I find the waxless Glitt VERY lacking in the grip department.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:02 am

It's amazing to see how some things work for others... How we can have totally different opinions about the same things...! :lol:

I find the MGV pattern the one with the best grip... For me the Glits are my best climbing waxless skis... I'd love to see the MGV pattern on wider skis... They would be awesome on the Epochs and Annums... But they would probably drag like crazy on the descent...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Bri7

Post by Bri7 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:55 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Let us know how you like the Glitt MGV Anemic. Personally, I like the waxable version- I find the waxless Glitt VERY lacking in the grip department.
Strange indeed... The Glittertind waxless pattern works pretty well for my 250 lbs (which is not the case with most waxless). I’m curious, what your weight Lilcliffy? Which length of the Glittertind are you using? Do you think the camber of the ski could have something to do with the grip? Do you think you are heavy enough to flatten the waxless section to the ground when going uphill?

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Oh- didn't mean to be so unclear- I wasn't' suggesting that the MGV Glitt was "poor"- at least compared to other double-cambered scaled skis. I simply meant that I prefer the waxable Glitt to the waxless.

I weigh 185lbs.

I thoroughly tested the both the waxable and the waxless Glitt before I bought my E99s. My friend has both the waxless and the waxable Glitt- both 210cm.

I personally find waxless-scaled double-cambered skis severely lacking in grip compared to grip wax. My E99 Crowns are virtually useless- in terms of traction- compared to my E99 Tour.

I don't know which scale design is "best" on of all these skis. I still very much like Karhu's "Omnitrack" design as well- when the snow is ideal for scales. Currently, I tend to think that Fischer's "Offtrack Crown" may be the best scale design I have tried...

Regardless- I didn't mean to suggest that Madshus' MGV+ was no good- I just meant that I am not a huge fan of the grip of double-cambered scaled skis.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:11 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Oh- didn't mean to be so unclear- I wasn't' suggesting that the MGV Glitt was "poor"- at least compared to other double-cambered scaled skis. I simply meant that I prefer the waxable Glitt to the waxless.
Oh, that makes more sense... ;)

Of course wax will always be better... But the MGV was quite impressive... Have you tried the latest Fischer Vario Crown scales? I have a pair and they are really amazing too... Better than the OffTrack... Not wax, but really amazing...

I'd really like to try the latest Premium Crown scales... They look very similar to the MGV+...

(Time to practice the "Move posts" functions? ;) )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

HBS

Re: Waxless Scale Patterns- What's your favourite Flavor?

Post by HBS » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:55 pm

Girlfriend gives the thumb of approval to Rossi's BC90 scale pattern - she had a lot of trouble in deep powder (18"+?) last spring but recently used it in ~6" of fluff on hardpack with plenty of grip.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 pm

Great to hear from you HBS!

Good info on the BC90- looking at them for a new ski for my growing 15-year-old son.

How is your Nansen treating you?

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:48 pm

lilcliffy wrote: I personally find waxless-scaled double-cambered skis severely lacking in grip compared to grip wax. My E99 Crowns are virtually useless- in terms of traction- compared to my E99 Tour.

I don't know which scale design is "best" on of all these skis. I still very much like Karhu's "Omnitrack" design as well- when the snow is ideal for scales. Currently, I tend to think that Fischer's "Offtrack Crown" may be the best scale design I have tried...
isn't the Offtrack Crown on the E99's? That translucent plastic stuff seems to grip hard but at the expense of glide. My favorite is the old negative Fischer pattern circa 2012 E99's "Mountain Crown", no one else seems to like it but it's my favorite one. Yes, the old Karhu pattern was great - I think Madshus is still using it, my Eons had the same one.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

HBS

Post by HBS » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:02 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Great to hear from you HBS!

Good info on the BC90- looking at them for a new ski for my growing 15-year-old son.

How is your Nansen treating you?
Haha yeah a long summer break and late snow in Colorado along with a busy field season at work will do that!

I take back the positive review of the BC90 - we went out yesterday to ski on hardpack with some windblown "powder" on top and she really struggled getting grip on very moderate uphills. I think the snow was so firm that the little bit of windblown snow prevented the scales from biting? I hate seeing her struggle while blue extra makes everything so easy...

The Nansens are great! I've been learning it's more about how I treat them but I have been doing some dark side AT skiing both resort and backcountry and finally learning how to use my edges. I can now hockey stop on all of my nordic skis - even my edgeless 44mm "race" waxables. Now I need to work on skiing powder with them in the few short sections of open trees I've found.

How have you been?

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:49 pm

For climbing, Alpina patterns on Discovery or Control. I haven't tried the really wide Alpina's, I would assume the patterns are also good for climbing.