Voile 3 Pin Cable Climbing Wire Compatibility

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
EvanTrem
Ski style: XCD, Telemark, Backcountry
Favorite Skis: K2 Work Stinx w/ 22 Designs Outlaw X, Madshus Annum w/ Voile 3 Pin
Favorite boots: TX Comp, Alico Ski March

Voile 3 Pin Cable Climbing Wire Compatibility

Post by EvanTrem » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 pm

So I just mounted up some Voile 3 Pin Cable bindings to my new Madshus Annums. I was rooting around in my box of ski junk and I found that I had two sets of heel climbing wires. One set from Black Diamond O3's and one set from G3 Targas. I tried to put both of them onto the heel plate of the 3 Pin Cables, but it seems like the wire diameter is too big. Even after some cutting and dremeling to the underside of the Voile heel plate, I couldn't get either set to work. Does anyone know if the Voile climbing wires work 100% out of the box with the standard 3 Pin Cable binding heel plate? I might order some up from Voile but I want to be sure they work well before I do.

Thanks!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Voile 3 Pin Cable Climbing Wire Compatibility

Post by Woodserson » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:40 pm

EvanTrem wrote:So I just mounted up some Voile 3 Pin Cable bindings to my new Madshus Annums. I was rooting around in my box of ski junk and I found that I had two sets of heel climbing wires. One set from Black Diamond O3's and one set from G3 Targas. I tried to put both of them onto the heel plate of the 3 Pin Cables, but it seems like the wire diameter is too big. Even after some cutting and dremeling to the underside of the Voile heel plate, I couldn't get either set to work. Does anyone know if the Voile climbing wires work 100% out of the box with the standard 3 Pin Cable binding heel plate? I might order some up from Voile but I want to be sure they work well before I do.

Thanks!
I've never had an issue with them not fitting but they are tricky to install and can make you feel like they're not fitting.

The trick I have found is to install them into the heel piece in their vertical-you-are-climbing-a-steep position, install the heel piece with the wire sticking straight up, THEN push them flat to the ski. Works every time.

Try with your off-brand wires first, for fun.

dace

Post by dace » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:00 pm

I just picked up a set of voile wires thinking they would just snap into the riser but it appears the riser actually needs to be removed and re-installed to do this. Can anyone confirm? Is there a graceful way to get the little screw caps out of the riser? Thanks!

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:42 pm

dace wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:00 pm
I just picked up a set of voile wires thinking they would just snap into the riser but it appears the riser actually needs to be removed and re-installed to do this. Can anyone confirm? Is there a graceful way to get the little screw caps out of the riser? Thanks!
Yes, the climbing wires need to be installed into the heel piece before attaching to the ski. Those caps usually have a narrow notch at the edge into which you can insert a very small and thin flathead screwdriver. They pop out easily once you get the screwdriver deep enough.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:48 pm

dace wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:00 pm
As Connyro said above
If the screw caps you have are the little round circles you're going to have to use a punch or pick and poke a hole in the top and pry off, add some glue to reseal the hole.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:49 pm

Yes, Voile riser wires require the riser block to be removed for installation.