The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

Post by Johnny » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:33 pm

Shenanagains wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:03 pm
Voile sells the Vector, Objective, and Charger lines as all arounders. If you want pow skis, buy pow skis! So, V6, V8, Drifter.
All Voile skis have low-rise tips, including the V's.
Shenanagains wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:03 pm
Also, Voile tests their skis in the Wasatch where powder is dry. No need for high tips in that stuff, kinda like Asnes testing their skis in Norway. Who needs fishscales in a super cold climate?
They are simply giving the buyers what they want. The boomers grew up with huge tips, they got bored and wanted something new after the fat craze of 2005. Nothing new = no sales. It's basic kindergarden-level economy. But that low-rise tips trend cycle is getting quite old now after like what, 12 years? I feel like we're at the end of the cycle. But hey, if people are buying, why change a thing? 8-)

Johnny the clown
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Shenanagains

Post by Shenanagains » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:43 pm

The V series Voile skis have softer and flatter camber. And like I said, they are designed in an area known for blower pow. If there are no mashed potatoes to dig through, you'd never know you needed taller tips.

Nils Larsen agrees with you and designed the Kom just like you're asking for. Plus, Altai has the classiest looking topsheets in the business. Do you like Kom's?

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:53 am

I have the utmost respect for Nils... But very sadly, I always found the Koms too heavy for leathers...

The Tindans are even better than the Voiles... Same superlight weight, flatter camber, Nordic Rocker, REAL tips for real skiers, and unlimited X-Skin attachment possibilities. Only they do not come in a WL version... yet.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:48 pm

Johnny wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:53 am
I have the utmost respect for Nils... But very sadly, I always found the Koms too heavy for leathers...

The Tindans are even better than the Voiles... Same superlight weight, flatter camber, Nordic Rocker, REAL tips for real skiers, and unlimited X-Skin attachment possibilities. Only they do not come in a WL version... yet.
Perhaps you could convince a Québécois toolmaker to machine a pair of Tindan to suit your needs? This would without doubt be noticed by the Knights. Even the bean counters at Åsnes would be forced to take notice, No?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:26 pm

I do not like low-rise tips in general. They invite problems when the ski is poorly designed.

That being said, I've never had a tip-dive problem with my V-6. Voile nailed the flex and the rocker on that ski. The tip comes right up in almost every snow condition I've encountered in New England or Switzerland. I size Voile skis appropriately to my weight.

I also own the KOM. It is awesome, because I can have a short ski with a huge tip that saves me from going over the handlebars. It was not designed to be driven with leathers.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:33 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:26 pm
I do not like low-rise tips in general. They invite problems when the ski is poorly designed.

That being said, I've never had a tip-dive problem with my V-6. Voile nailed the flex and the rocker on that ski. The tip comes right up in almost every snow condition I've encountered in New England or Switzerland. I size Voile skis appropriately to my weight.

I also own the KOM. It is awesome, because I can have a short ski with a huge tip that saves me from going over the handlebars. It was not designed to be driven with leathers.
I am so excited about both these skis I'm going to reply to my own post.

I can jump into mellow woods going slow with the Voile V6 and smear crazy awesome turns in manky wet snow and make it look oh-so-good. Or, I can turn it up and blow into something gnarly at speed and I know that the ski has my back.

I can power through tight trees with my KOMs on steep slopes with ice-crust on top and not even be worried. Or, I can go really slow down something dumb and ride over submerged logs.

Look at my side-bar descriptions. There's a reason the first two skis are what they are. Neither ski has let me down.

(J- this is not directed at your but the general public, I know your needs are tres specifique!)

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:07 am

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:33 pm
I can jump into mellow woods going slow with the Voile V6 and smear crazy awesome turns in manky wet snow and make it look oh-so-good. Or, I can turn it up and blow into something gnarly at speed and I know that the ski has my back.
I fully agree with you. Again, I never said they were bad or problematic, only, they could be even better. Look at my side bar too and you will find the Voiles on top of the list. But just a few more centimeters on the tips would make them the ultimate touring-for-powder weapons*...

* Some kind of half skins attachement would be very, very welcome too... 8-)

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:10 am

fisheater wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:48 pm
Perhaps you could convince a Québécois toolmaker to machine a pair of Tindan to suit your needs? This would without doubt be noticed by the Knights. Even the bean counters at Åsnes would be forced to take notice, No?
I already requested this from Bri7 Industries a long time ago...
10 years later and I'm still waiting... :lol:

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:03 am

[/quote]
Oh well Crister you better be rigth because I sold my 188 FT for the promise of better K&G with the 196. :shock: I was really happy with the 188 but I expect the 196 to be even better for my body size and my terrain.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i think the FT62 « should » be picked a bit longer than your body height and the Rabb is better a bit shorter than your height. Well, it is my conclusion after skiing both skis in 188 length. The Rabb is definitively not a good tracker without the skin or fully waxed so I don’t see the benefit of a longer ski. I know Wooderson prefer the 180 Rabb and Johnny rave review was based on the 172 cm Rabb if I am not mistaken.
[/quote]

You will definitely get better K&G performance with the longest ski! That is just a fact.

Choosing a length of ski doesn't really have a specified, correct, and universal answer. It all depends on skill, personal preference, use, body weight, body length, and so many other factors. A lightweight skier can easily manage with a short ski whereas a heavier skier needs a longer ski. A good skier can easily handle a long ski, and a more novice skier can not. There is just a lot of factors here.

But, from a simplified perspective; yes, it will probably be more beneficial for many to choose a longer FT62.

With a simplified perspective, I mean the following:

If one only takes body weight and body length to consideration, and give all skiers the benefit of the doubt as "excellent skiers", most would probably choose a longer ski for the K&G performance.

It's like with anything else. When you add up the +/- most really good skiers will probably choose a longer ski 90% of the time - because there are just more advantages with a longer ski versus a shorter ski. Beginners and intermediate skiers, will probably go for a shorter ski, as they probably see more benefits of a ski that is easier to handle.
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:12 am

[/quote]

Bottom line, please Frank, Asbjørn and @Åsnes1922, can't you see how badly we all need wide WL skis?
Better do it soon before we all spend our stimulus checks on Voile or Fischer waxless skis... :lol:
[/quote]

We're working on a lot of exciting things. And I believe you will be very happy as soon as we get things dialed in. I can't say much, but I believe you all will like it. And if you hurry up and make a COVID-19 vaccine, I'm sure the process will be a lot faster!
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway