The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

Post by Johnny » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:40 pm

AAS.jpg
Telemark Talk, home of the ÅAS, the Åsnes Appreciation Society
No matter what people say here, no matter what new topic is started, it somehow always ends up in an Asnes discussion. (Go figure!) So I thought starting an official Asnes channel would be more appropriate.

With currently 28 different ski models available, and only a very few available here in North America, it's no surprise that there's so many things to discuss... Dear members of the ÅAS, here is the place to let yourself go.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Re: The Åsnes Thread

Post by Johnny » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:47 pm

D'hostie wrote: Also if you go the Tind photos and look at the side pics you can clearly see they are compressed to show the tip and tail rocker:

https://www.asnes.com/produkt/asnes-tin ... komstfell/

You can see the pic much better on the website.

I might be wrong, but I don't think they would show staged pictures of compressed skis... I think this is the Tind uncompressed, a normal, single camber AT ski with normal, non-Nordic rocker... No?

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:59 pm

D'hostie wrote:Well gee, that doesn't make any sense, because the 68 they show a pic of them base-to-base and the 62, they do not!

https://www.asnes.com/produkt/falketind-68/

https://www.asnes.com/produkt/falketind-62/

Also they show the 62 sitting on the ground, and they look like they have more camber than in the other picture:

So I'm not sure anyone is any wiser than they were before...
Oh, they look like two different beasts... From what I understand, the 62 is a XC ski, with a moderate wax pocket (Camber), while the 68 is a pure AT flat downhill ski, without any wax pocket, hence the side pic... That would explain why the flat sideview is shown only on the 68... And the fact that there is no mention of wax pocket on the 68...

(I actually wasn't aware of the existence of the 62! Thanks for the heads up... )

D'hostie

Post by D'hostie » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:17 pm

I looked with a close zoom on those side shots and it looks like just the edges to me, no air gap in the middle. I can't believe they have ZERO camber!

Best way to find out is to ask, or buy a pair. I'm not rich enough for the latter, so I'll just wait until you guys ski them and throw them in a dumpster in 10 years ;)

Edit:

A pic of the Supercharge from Voile uncompressed:

I mean this is an Alpine camber and it looks like a hell of a lot bigger gap than in any of the Asnes pics. If there is a gap, I can't see it for shit. And I doubt they are zero camber skis, but I suppose they could be.
Last edited by D'hostie on Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D'hostie

Post by D'hostie » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:26 pm

Also on the Norwegian site, they list both the Falketinds in Fjellskis (XCD) and then list the 68 again in the Topturskis (AT). On the English site, the 68 is missing from BC (XCD) listing and only shows up in AT. A mystery, a mistake or an insight as to what these skis are?

I tend to suspect they are the same ski just with different dimensions but it's a good crossover between AT and XCD (like the Storetind of old was). I also think they probably have the smallest camber of all the XCD skis.

Also I think the "marked chamber" is a typo on the English site and they probably mean "marked" camber. Not sure what marked means (always a guess with these guys - remember the 100 or something page thread trying to Decipher Paul Gamme?) but again a guess is notable, distinguishable, not shallow, etc... So I bet it's a rocker-camber-rocker ski with a tad more camber for wax touring.

Keep in mind, even the previous Ingstad has a pretty soft camber. And it goes like hell as a XC ski.

But the real question for me, if I were to buy these skis, is if I could ski them at a ski resort on boilerplate, because given the sidecut, I'd want to try. If they've packed enough composite in them, they'll do it, but maybe be a bit chattery.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:51 pm

Falketind 68: 105-68-95mm- flat Alpine camber

Storetind: 103-68-93mm- more camber than the Falketind 68.
Look at the photos from Asnes showing fair bit of static rocker in the tip- with VERY significant Nordic rocker once the camber is compressed:
storetind-2.png
storetind-3.png
Falketind 62: 97-62-86mm- appears to have more camber than the 68- at least in the photos..
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:54 pm

I currently own only the Combat Nato in a 210cm length.
It is a mile-shredding backcountry Nordic touring ski, that is a dream XC ski on fresh snow; climbs like a goat; is very manageable on the downhill; and is a deep snow trail-breaking machine.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:21 am

Hummm.... I can see only two solutions:

1- We need to buy them all and review them all...
2- We need to become North American reps for Asnes...
D'hostie wrote:Best way to find out is to ask, or buy a pair. I'm not rich enough for the latter, so I'll just wait until you guys ski them and throw them in a dumpster in 10 years ;)
I threw away about 30 pairs of skis in the dumpster last season... But I don't think any Asnes skis will ever make it there... 8-)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:35 am

Johnny wrote: I threw away about 30 pairs of skis in the dumpster last season... But I don't think any Asnes skis will ever make it there... 8-)
I hope you had a legal right to use that dumpster Johnny, I'd hate to think of you as criminal.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Okay, it's the Anses thread, so what are your thoughts on a Falketind 62? It appears to have Nordic rocker and tail rocker, what is the purpose of tail rocker? The sidecut is 97-62-86, even more sidecut then a S-98 at 98-69-88. I am not sure what the comparison means, I really no nothing of the ski. Here is an excerpt of Anses description:
Falketind is equipped with moderate wax pocket, making this model ideal for those planning longer trips in demanding and steep terrain. Falketind is constructed with a responsive poplar wood core, and is carbon reinforced for optimum torsional characteristics.

Can a ski with that kind of sidecut be a good trail ski? Would it possible in soft snow? It does not sound like a great recipe for hard pack trails. However with that narrow waist and carbon reinforcement it would be fun in leathers at my low vertical Michigan resorts.

Another comparison on side cut the 184 cm Super Vector has a 20 m turn radius. The 188 cm Falketind 62 has a 20.9 m turn radius. I don't know, maybe this would be a good tour for turns ski, for a guy that would love to need a Vector.
Really Johnny, I can't believe you don't have one of these. BTW x-skin compatible.