The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

Post by Johnny » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:51 am

I just had another Asnes dream... (Yes, dah fevah is pretty strong this year too!)

This time it was about a waxless version of the TINDAN 86... It was beau-ti-ful too... Tested by Sherpa people in Nepal and Tibet, it was used by SAR teams everywhere around the Himalayas. Designed by Yves Rodier, it was called the Asnes SHERPA 86... Whaddya think?
asnes-WL-SHERPA.jpg

And yet another one... The TAUNTAUN 86, named after the wild polar lizard. This one was designed especially for the Rebel Alliance by Phil Tippet. It was mostly used on the Hardangerjøkulen glacier in Norway for tactical operations. Whaddya think?
Asnes-WL-TAUNTAUN.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Danylewich
Ski style: XC, BC, XCD, Alpine Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes FT62
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Danylewich » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:53 pm

Too funny Johnny! Love it.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:22 am

The "Star Wars" one is awesome!
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:59 am

The world's most objective skitesters, and the great team at Blister Review has put the Voss Z'N to the test, reviewed it and included it in their "Buyers Guide" - Check it out!

We're really happy with the review, which confirms our philosophy going into the design process.

"If you prefer at stronger flex pattern, a more traditional mount point, and want that withut going with a minimally tapered ski that's difficult to break free from a turn, the Z'N warrant considiration. It's deep tip rocker line and soft tips equate to great flotation in powder, while the flat tail makes it feel pretty secure on steep, firm terrain. The Voss Z'N's moderate weight makes it a solid contender for 50/50 use, particulary for skiers with good tecnique who want to use this ski for a bit of everything" - Blister

Blister Review ZN.png
Read the full 20/21 Blister Buyers Guide here:
https://blisterreview.com/winter-buyers-guide
Bård Kjetil Lien 2.JPG
Photo credits: Bård Kjetil Lien
Rider: Johannes Finne (Åsnes Team Rider)
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

TheSweed

Post by TheSweed » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:03 am

Asnes SHERPA 86 ooooh soo nice!!! Off season I could hang it on the wall in the livlig room.

Still remeber the feeling when I was a kid and opening my first Tintin album. "Tintin i Tibet"
The best one, so good!

Transplantskier
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Nansen WL
Favorite boots: Crispi Stetind

Post by Transplantskier » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:57 am

Hi all,

Thought I'd put this here because it didn't seem worthy of a new thread, and it's Åsnes-focused.

Considering doing something eccentric and wanted to get some more perspectives. I posted here a tiny bit last winter but then the late-season skiing got good and then the trail running got good, so I don’t spend much time on my computer if I can help it.

I ski Åsnes Nansens and MT51s both in 185 (I’m 64kg and like my skis shortish) and I love them both. Lately I’ve been considering buying Ingstads, Cecelie Skogs, or FT62s in an eccentrically short length. Two reasons: 1) for the turns, of course and 2) because I’m jealous of all the AT folks who can bike with their skis so much less awkwardly than I do.

I have no interest in true AT setups, but my minimalist sentiments (minus all the things that make minimalist people annoying, I hope) have me always wanting things to be smaller and lighter. I’m an NNN BC with leather boots kind of guy and can turn well enough with them (parallel, tele, whatever) to handle anything I want to do. Knowing that I won’t be kicking and gliding with the same efficiency as I do on my longer Nansens and MT51s, is there anything truly bad about glide waxing the whole ski (using my short or long skins for the ups) and squashing the camber of an Ingstad in 165 or Cecelie in 170?

Opinions?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:10 pm

Åsnes1922 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:13 am

Also, here's the 2021 Åsnes Workbook for you guys:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:12 pm

Roelant wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:44 am
Hi Crister @Åsnes1922
Awesome that new skis are coming! Thanks for the heads up!
Questions:

Have other boot manufacturers committed to the Xplore system?

The Sverdrup set look enticing, how would the camber and flex profile compare to the Nansen, Ingstad and Combat skis? I see that they have rocker and slightly more sidecut than the Nansen or Ingstad, but a bit narrower underfoot. I imagine that it would be very turny with this sidecut and rocker.

And what is new with the new FT62s?

Thanks
Roelant

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:13 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:27 am
No more MT51!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:13 pm

riel wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:43 am
Musk Ox wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:27 am
No more MT51!
I tried a pair of Wooderson's MT51 skis yesterday. I won't miss those from the lineup. They're alright, but they're not exceptional. Of course, I tried the MT51s after I skied the Gammes all morning, and pretty much every ski is bound to fall flat after using a pair of Gamme skis! About the only thing the MT51 did better than the Gammes was fit in the tracks. The 6 miles I skied on the MT51 felt like more work than the 12 miles I skied on the Gamme earlier the same day.

The Otto & Line Sverdrup skis look interesting. From the description they sound like a narrower version of the Ingstad, with less nordic rocker, resulting in better glide on hardpack.

However, what I really want (hi @Asnes1922) would be skis with a similar camber and flex as the Gammes that happen to fit in the tracks, maybe with the sidecut of the Sondre skis that were also discontinued? Might be a good opportunity to bring Sondre Nordheim back to the catalog some day, and give him the skis he really deserves ;)

For a waxless version, that double cambered, rockered Sondre should probably have the most forgiving fishscales imaginable, with the deep fishscales all the way from the X-skin attachment point, to 25cm behind the balance point, and maybe 5-10cm of shallow fishscales in front and to the rear of that, so they are easily usable by beginners, even if it costs a little bit of glide when not in well packed tracks.

In my opinion, having waxless skis that are more difficult to use for beginners (due to needing careful placement of the ski on the trail, and careful pressuring of the ski) may not make as much sense as making the waxless skis slightly more forgiving of poor technique, and having them be truly easy to use for everybody. The fishscale pattern that was developed for the Nansen & Cecilie ski may not be long enough to really work well on the double cambered skis.