What would you add to the ski rack if money didn't matter?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

What would you add to the ski rack if money didn't matter?

Post by fisheater » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:35 pm

We all have budgets, when you're young it's how to pay the rent. When we get older it might be saving for kid's college. Beyond then retirement starts looming larger. So maybe as we get older we could spend the cash, but we become reluctant. I thought it might be fun to talk about the gear we would pick up if we had a debit card that never ran out.
The first ski I would pick up would be the new rockered Ingstad, with a set of skins. I ski the USGI in a 200, it definitely is not too long. I would lean to the 205. I would mount it 3-pin cable. If I had one I would want to ski it at our small vertical resorts in Michigan with my son. I would expect it to be torsionally rigid enough to handle hard packed refrozen. I would like a ski that is fast on the back country trails, but with a bit of rocker to make it a bit more fun when pointed downhill, than say my USGI. I would certainly expect it to handle a foot to a foot and a half of snow.
The second ski would be a Vector, or the new Super Vector. What I really wish is that I needed a Vector. I really don't find the S-112 lacking in the terrain I ski. Maybe there are occasions, but it is not in powder. In wind crust or sun crust I can wish for more ski, so that's why it is on my list.
Last thing on my list would be an Alico Double boot. The only reason being I think it would be nice to have a double leather boot for a multi day tour. Trouble is I can barely get away for a weekend which is nothing in planning and scheduling like a multi day tour, staying overnight in a hut. However if my debit card never ran out, I would have ordered one I saw on Ebay recently, new, black, my size, $300. I thought about for a day or two, but the boot deserves to be skied, not sit in a closet.

Askel

Re: What would you add to the ski rack if money didn't matter?

Post by Askel » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:54 am

Thankfully, money isn't what limits my quiver- it's time to enjoy it. I find it difficult to ski more than two skis at a time.

But that said, I could really use a personal assistant to acquire and maintain a vintage wooden ski set up for me. It always seems like fun, but I just don't have the time to invest in it. In the summer, I can send him to Finland to try and track down some of those wacky super long forest skis for me.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:36 pm

OOH- this is fun!

I have quite a list- skis first:
1) 205cm Asnes Ingstad- NNNBC (touring focused).
2) 205 Asnes Nansen- NNNBC (touring focused).
3) 210cm Asnes Gamme 54- NNNBC (touring focused).
4) 210cm Asnes Amundsen Fram- NNNBC (expedition ski).
5) 175cm Asnes Ingstad- NNNBC (downhill-focused).
6) 175cm Asnes Nansen- NNNBC (downhill-focused).
7) 270cm Peltonen Metsa- NNNBC.
8) 176cm Asnes Tind 85- 3-pin hardwire
8) 178cm Voile Objective BC- 3-pin hardwire
9) 160cm OAC XCD GT- not sure.
10) 160cm OAC XCD- NNNBC.
11) 184cm Voile UltraVector BC (military white)- 3-pin hardwire.
12) 189cm Fischer Excursion 88- NNNBC.

Can't think of any more skis at this moment...
Now boots:
1) Alfa Quest Advance BC
2) Crispi Stetind BC
3) Crispi Svartisen BC
4) Fischer BCX6 BC
5) Andrew Ultimate COD
6) Scarpa T2 Eco
7) Andrew Artico

I know that is a ridiculous list!

So to narrow it down to the top 3 in each list:
1) 205cm Asnes Ingstad
2) 1786m Asnes Tind 85
3) 178cm Voile Objective BC

1) Alfa Quest Advance
2) Andrew Ulitimate COD
3) Scarpa T2 Eco

Crazy- I know...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Skis:
1. All Merelli Skis
2. Head SuperShapes
3. Peltonen Metsa 270
4. Karhu Hunt Classic 260 w/Bear Grip
5. Asnes Falketind
6. All the skis ever mentioned at WoodenSkis.com

Boots:
1. Alfa Polar Advance
2. Crispi Lofoten
3. Alpina "Cowboy" Alaskas
4. Rossignol X5
5. Several extra pairs of TX Comps and Crispi WC's because they probably will be impossible to find in a few years...

That's more like my current 2017-18 want list than a dream... I pretty much buy all the stuff I want when I can find it. My annual income is not even a third of the official poverty threshold... But all my money goes into ski gear (read: I eat mostly peanut butter and rotten fruits...)

If I had that special debit card, I would buy real food, real clothes, real gloves and real socks.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Coolwhip

Post by Coolwhip » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Johnny wrote:6. All the skis ever mentioned at WoodenSkis.com
This would top my list these days - or maybe something custom.
Johnny wrote:If I had that special debit card, I would buy real food, real clothes, real gloves and real socks.
I feel like that's an answer to another question that was explored in The Snow Cave Man. :lol:

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:16 am

Just watched the trailer for the "Snow Cave Man"- fascinating.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

STG

Post by STG » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:25 pm

I would purchase only one pair of skis because I get overwhelmed with choice when I have many skis in my closet. I would opt for the Asnes Cecilie BC.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Awesome stuff guys! Askel, I agree if I had more time I could justify more skis! Gareth awesome list, the scary thing is that it made perfect sense. If my list was that long it would have NNN boots as well. Johnny, I would have expected nothing less. I have lost track of my high school friend and longtime ski buddy when he moved to Seattle. He also managed to ski all winter. He lived without many dollars, I was really happy the year he had enough cash to take the plane ride to Utah.
Cool whip, I hate breaking out my credit card and now you have me thinking about renting a movie! Very interesting, interesting geography, winter survival, and the road less traveled. Thank you for sharing.
STG, the Ingstad BC appeals to me for almost all the the same reason Cecillie appeals to you, except I am not going to have a school boy crush on Helge! If the Ingstad BC is what I think it is, I could ski it almost exclusively all year.
Great stuff guys!

STG

Post by STG » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:35 am

Being XX, I appreciate that Asnes is designing some skis for women.

Coolwhip

Post by Coolwhip » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:57 am

fisheater wrote:I hate breaking out my credit card and now you have me thinking about renting a movie!
It's one of the best docs I've seen. However, if you're a real outdoor enthusiast it might give you pause, in the same way that 20 Seconds of Joy might give an extreme athlete second thoughts about what they do. In both cases the subjects have likable qualities, but... are damaged. If you relate too much, it can be a disturbing ride. If you do rent it and feel a need to rejoin society, my apologies.

More to the topic: I like the idea of a custom ski because it's the next best thing to making your own pair of skis, but with someone competent doing the work. Even if it were just the top sheet that was really custom. I don't know about the performance aspect - maybe they're no different than the skis made in China or the Ukraine or wherever, maybe not even as good in some cases - but you could get something that looks just how you want it. Some of these Scotty Bob customs are... not in the best taste, I think, but others look nice, and either way their owners got exactly what they wanted. I have some plain-jane bobs so I suppose I could get them airbrushed like a 70's van and be in much the same place. Maybe I'd go for custom boots instead - look at these. I don't even have boot fitting issues, but with that debit card that never ran out - why not get some new low leathers to go with my vintage x-country skis? I could get some technical knickerbockers too. If money were no object, I'd be the raddest weirdo on two sticks... Maybe it's better I don't have that card.