The UP Conditions Report Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
t-$

Re: The UP Conditions Report Thread

Post by t-$ » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:43 pm

oh man, i wish i could get away that weekend...it's worth the almost 8 hour drive.

that place is beautiful. and the biscuits and gravy at syl's in onthenoggin was great on saturday. endless coffee too, like a good diner should. just fyi!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:40 am

t-$ wrote:oh man, i wish i could get away that weekend...it's worth the almost 8 hour drive.
Is Michigan that big or have you been experimenting with your car too. ;)

t-$

Post by t-$ » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Hehe, no michigan is that big. It's even a longer drive from detroit! & I'm a conservative driver

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Al, to the Porcupine Mountains from my house Bing Maps allows 10 1/2 hours. That would be the only reason I have not been there. If I cut through Ontario, I can make some resorts in Vermont in the same time frame. Maybe it is just because I grew up in Michigan, but the UP is about 4 1/2 hours from my door. The geography changes when you go over the bridge, but it is still the same state. Your fishing and hunting licenses are still valid, you're still in Michigan, but it is different. The UP has a strong pull for many of us that live in the lower peninsula. Vermont has great skiing, beautiful mountains, that dwarf what the UP offers. However the call of the Porkies pulls at me stronger than the call of the Green Mountains.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:02 pm

true dat fishy...

i could probably make the porkies in less than 7 if conditions were perfect, i was haulin ass, and i didn't stop for gas or potty break or food. but yeah, its a fer piece

i do love the mountains out east. never skied them but have been hiking and camping in them a bunch. climed katahdn about 6-7 times. the feel of mountain towns is nice. but the up has that kind of dark winter spirit that you only get in the northern latitudes and deep winter places. i love that feeling

Oldbie

Post by Oldbie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:52 pm

t-$ wrote:oh man, i wish i could get away that weekend...it's worth the almost 8 hour drive.

that place is beautiful. and the biscuits and gravy at syl's in onthenoggin was great on saturday. endless coffee too, like a good diner should. just fyi!
Syl's cafe is the spot. I've gotta make good on taking my boys on a trip, but I'll post up if I get a chance to get up there. Gonna scan Google maps for the radio tower.

Askel

Post by Askel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:12 am

The pot roast breakfast skillet is the best excess hopslam absorption mechanism ever. :D

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Had a warmup last week and some freezing drizzle followed by maybe 2 inches of snow. All on top of maybe 3 feet of firm, dry powder and base which has not received any fresh snow for 3 weeks. Unbelievably, the conditions were great. Climbing with scales was poor due to the super-thin crust from the drizzle but skins worked great. We did our 9th annual super-secret ski weekend with same regulars in attendance, Friday through Sunday. Great beer, food, weather, and lots of the best turns of the season!
21818b.jpg
21818a.jpg

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Nice, looks like a good time. I wouldn't want you to spill too many details. I can tell you it was really sweet skiing in my imagination, with just enough beer and smack talking afterwards ;)

connyro

Post by connyro » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:23 am

fisheater wrote:...with just enough beer and smack talking afterwards ;)
Yeah, afterwards, before, during, 3 days later.....