The UP Conditions Report Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: The UP Conditions Report Thread

Post by lowangle al » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:50 pm

connyro wrote:
lowangle al wrote:I was surprised my T4s worked so well with my Insanes at 112 underfoot in a 183cm. Funny thing is I thought the skis were too big for me when I got them and that was with a 4 buckle boot. When I switched to T2s at first I didn't think that was enough boot. A couple seasons passed and as I got used to fatter skis I found the T2 was plenty of boot for that ski. I am sure if I tried the T4 with that ski when I first got them they wouldn't have worked at all.

I don't know what the history is with your Excursions and the Asylums, but just because they didn't work at one time doesn't mean they won't work now, especially in soft snow.
I hear you LAA. I've tried the Excursion/Asylum combo only a couple/few times and never did really like it. The cuff is just too low for my style of skiing with those skis. And by cuff, I mean both the front of the cuff (tongue) and the sides (left and right sides of legs). Ener-gs work much better with the much higher cuff. I think the Asylums just need a LOT of user input to get them to behave in a fun and controlled way, and for my style/technique, a taller boot works and the low boot cuts into my lower legs/shins. On the other hand, the Excursions turn the Vectors effortlessly in a wide variety of snow types in my experience. You just don't rely on the boot cuff to bail you out of bad technique moments, so being balanced is key while lots of power is not really needed. I don't feel the same way when on Excursions and Asylums. Holding an edge angle is much harder and requires much more power input with this setup than with Ener-gs, making balance a bit tricker.

It looks like we will be getting another foot or so of LES in the hills over the next 2 days. This is the best start to March in a few years around here!

My wife likes her excursions and vectors too. What binding is on your Asylums? I was thinking of swapping some 3pin HWs for the X2s on my insanes (they have inserts)to see if they still work with the T4s. If they work the next test will be to see what they will do without the heel throws.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:35 pm

lowangle al wrote:My wife likes her excursions and vectors too. What binding is on your Asylums? I was thinking of swapping some 3pin HWs for the X2s on my insanes (they have inserts)to see if they still work with the T4s. If they work the next test will be to see what they will do without the heel throws.
I've got the regular SBs on the Asylums. They have inserts too, so I plan to mount a super-beaten pair of X2s on them for next season. I can't imagine skiing a ski as large as the Insanes/Asylums with just plain 3-pins. A couple ski buddies of mine run the V6BCs with 3-pins (BMD) and seem to ski really well, both with Excursions. IMO, a ski like the Vector or V6 or Koms are pretty much at the limit of what 3-pins without hardwires (generally) can ski well. I don't have the lightest touch on skis and am not super-silky smooth either, so someone with a light and smooth technique may find more success!

Askel

Post by Askel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:41 am

Porkies are still in awesome shape. They stopped running the lift for the year, so you pretty much get the place to yourself. With up to a foot in the forecast, it's going to be a mess when this stuff finally melts.

They also moved the crosscut hut. I kinda like the new location.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Cool stuff Askel, I was just looking a a snow cover map over the weekend. I wish the Porkies were closer, nice to see your reports though. I also enjoyed your Utah report. I landed in Utah with a 100 degree fever one year, missed the first day of skiing and had trouble keeping up the next couple of days. I still had fun.

connyro

Post by connyro » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:48 pm

just got a fresh foot of snow in town. Up in the hills, it looks more like 28 inches with maybe another foot of LES today. Too bad I broke the leaf spring in my Tacoma. Plus the road up into the hills is most likely not plowed yet so I am stuck in town shoveling!

Askel

Post by Askel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:30 pm

Well shit. I thought my powder day was off to a bad start with an unavoidable 7am meeting. Hope it all sorts out in time to enjoy the snow before it melts!

connyro

Post by connyro » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Still stuck in town with "only" 2 feet of fresh snow. There's 3+ feet of fresh in the hills. The local ski hill closed a couple weeks ago so we skinned and skied deep, dry powder until exhaustion.

Does this look like spring?
spring skiing.jpg
spring skiing2.jpg

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:19 am

Nope!....But....It looks like great skiing....TM

Askel

Post by Askel » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 pm

I rode a bike today.

Suck it, skiing. :lol:

Askel

Post by Askel » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:08 pm

Still going.

There's one shaded run that may survive until Tuesday. Looking forward to some May 1st turns.