The UP Conditions Report Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Askel

The UP Conditions Report Thread

Post by Askel » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Managed to float something other than rolled trails last weekend.

$INSERT_SNOW_DEPTH_JOKE

A little thin for turns in the trees.

But nothing a nice glove drying fire can't remedy.

t-$

Re: The UP Conditions Report Thread

Post by t-$ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:35 pm

lookin nice! thought i was gonna make it up that way this weekend, but looks like i'll be going to an event down under the bridge instead. soon i gotta get up there and slide around though!

Askel

Post by Askel » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:46 pm

If John Dee (http://johndee.com/forecasts/forecast-graphic/) comes through, we should be off to a good start this weekend. nearly everything should be XCable and the snowbelts will be ready for moderate turns.

If you make it up here anywhere from marquette west, give me a shout, I'll be out skiing somewhere.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:13 pm

howdy!

well, we are getting hit pretty good again right now, so jd was spot on today. spose to get another 6 inches by midnight tonight, and more for tomorrow! i'm sure you guys are seeing more of the same up there.

i will for sure give you a shout...gonna be up there at some point, probly mid january it looks like now. have fun up there!

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:58 pm

12"+ in Huron Mtns/CR510 currently. Not much, but low-angle stuff is starting to be OK and touring is good. There's a thin base with about a foot of some real fluffy lake-effect on top. We need some system snow to fill in the base and get this season started!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Good to hear things are getting started your way. Hope you post that the Vectors get broken out soon!

Askel

Post by Askel » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:03 pm

connyro wrote:12"+ in Huron Mtns/CR510 currently. Not much, but low-angle stuff is starting to be OK and touring is good. There's a thin base with about a foot of some real fluffy lake-effect on top. We need some system snow to fill in the base and get this season started!
Good to hear you guys are catching up!

Porkies are skiable. The crew did wonders with the new groomer spreading out what little they had to make the open runs fun. Back woods needs more time. The muck that hides under the snow out there needs more time to freeze up.

Also, really hoping the DNR restocks the wood supply at the warming huts. It's one of my favorite parts of skiing there.

Askel

Post by Askel » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:08 pm

Lookout Mountain is looking good.

Why have I not skied this before?

I remember hiking up it about 10 years ago when I first started backcountry skiing and dismissed it all as either too steep, not steep enough, or too dense. It seems I was wrong on all counts.

connyro

Post by connyro » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:47 am

Cool lake-effect in that photo. Snow here is great quality for touring: USGIs have been getting used the most so far this season. But it's still a bit too thin for turns in the woods. It would be nice to get a big storm for a change. Snowbanks aren't high enough yet to drive the Bravo into the back of the truck.

Askel

Post by Askel » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:10 am

You have a yamaha bravo?!

Do you maybe want to adopt a 41 year old son?

Pat's in Greenland, MI stockpiled a bunch of those when yamaha stopped selling them in the US. I've been lusting for one for a while, but the price tag is a bit steep on them.

Also, in other news (front page, above the fold no less): http://www.mininggazette.com/news/2017/ ... he-season/

“People have been hiking up our hill already and skiing down,” said Watson. “Everybody has been giving (the) thumbs up.”

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was me. :D