The UP Conditions Report Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
anemic

Re: The UP Conditions Report Thread

Post by anemic » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Wow that looks amazing

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk
Call it Nordic Freeride

Askel

Post by Askel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:58 pm

PEOPLE'S FRONT OF SUPERIOR, HURON MOUNTAIN DIVISION MISSION SYNOPSIS

A STRONGHOLD OF FOREIGN ELITES CONTINUES TO OCCUPY YOOPER TERRITORY IN THE NORTH CENTRAL PORTION OF DA UP.

MISSION: PATROL THE BORDERS, EVALUATE ENEMY CAPABILITIES, BUT DO NOT ENGAGE. LIMITED EXCURSIONS INTO ENEMY TERRITORY ALLOWED FOR INTELLIGENCE GATHERING.

REPORT: NO SIGHTINGS OF ENEMY PATROLS, RECOMMEND FURTHER EXPLORATION IN ENEMY TERRITORY IN SEARCH OF EPIC GNAR. POCKETS OF RESISTANCE CLOSE TO THE BORDER HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:34 pm

Askel wrote:PEOPLE'S FRONT OF SUPERIOR, HURON MOUNTAIN DIVISION MISSION SYNOPSIS

A STRONGHOLD OF FOREIGN ELITES CONTINUES TO OCCUPY YOOPER TERRITORY IN THE NORTH CENTRAL PORTION OF DA UP.

MISSION: PATROL THE BORDERS, EVALUATE ENEMY CAPABILITIES, BUT DO NOT ENGAGE. LIMITED EXCURSIONS INTO ENEMY TERRITORY ALLOWED FOR INTELLIGENCE GATHERING.

REPORT: NO SIGHTINGS OF ENEMY PATROLS, RECOMMEND FURTHER EXPLORATION IN ENEMY TERRITORY IN SEARCH OF EPIC GNAR. POCKETS OF RESISTANCE CLOSE TO THE BORDER HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED.

Is the river in the photo the Salmon Trout River? My understanding is you don't want to be an uninvited guest on Club land. Just what has been told to me. That being said, the downhill we can't see in the same photo is freaking sweet in my imagination. How is the snow holding up in your neck of the woods?

Askel

Post by Askel » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:22 am

Salmon trout was way, way east of us, so probably not.

I think most of those stories are perpetuated by "sportsmen" unable to function more than a mile from some means of mechanized transport.

A couple idiots willing to break seven miles of trail to get to the furthest reaches of the club just to ski probably aren't a big concern. At this point the snow was over a week old. Plenty of animal tracks (including some cool otter slides), but no signs of humans during that time.

Snow is holding up well, despite repeated warm ups. Thought we might be getting to crust season, but looks like more snow in the forecast for this week.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:02 am

Askel wrote: Image
Is that Rush lake? Looks like you came in from Skanee? I have not explored that area much in the winter.

Askel

Post by Askel » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 am

Yep, lots of good stuff to explore out there, it's just a serious pain to get to in the winter. No developed roads mean you're pretty much at the mercy of whatever logging roads happen to be open. Even if you can park "close" most interesting destinations still require a hefty ski in to get there, usually over some pretty rugged terrain. (skins and snowshoes are a must)

The upshot is once you're there, you're the only one.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:11 pm

oh man...one of these days maybe i would get up the nerves to try that....

thanks for the report! think the snow will be good in the porkies in a couple more weeks? gonna try for late march to get up there again...

Askel

Post by Askel » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:18 pm

You never really know for sure. Late march is usually pushing your luck with the porkies, but this has been a particularly good year. Although twin lakes through painsdale usually has workable skiing through mid april if all else fails.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:21 pm

hey askel,

thanks for the input...i will have to dig deeper when it gets closer. twin lakes to painsdale...gotta be some good trails in there to exploit...

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:34 pm

Looks like we got a foot of light lake-effect last night/today in the highlands. Going to take the day off and go investigate up in the hills to see if it's true. Spent a couple hours tonight night-skiing - surfing some crud!