Help Me Choose: Burly Leather Boots vs. Soft Plastic Boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Help Me Choose: Burly Leather Boots vs. Soft Plastic Boots

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 am

I am using Zamberlan

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=781&p=15838&hilit=Zamberlan#p15838

I am just following Lilcliffy's advice. It is working well for me. Perhaps he will offer some comments

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Mink oil works well but let the oil work in....Just broke a 2 mile trail with some Snowfield 2 leathers on a 215 e99 eropa with tips that hit the moon....Turn....right....Steepest shot.... shot down and as the ski hit it's stride and speed in the below zero snow a feat in itself.....the 99's arced and it was good....But need steeps to do it....Lots of snow on this particular face and with high tipped long skis a breeze....which felt like needles on my face....the breeze....Cold out there...GGT

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:47 pm

Hey Derrick- great to hear from you again!

Leather boot treatment.
Here's the recnt thread on this site:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... t&start=20

Oil-based treatments do wonders for conditioning and maintaining leather. There are two results of using the oil that may cause problems:
1) It greatly softens the leather- so much so that the boot may become so soft it loses its supportiveness.
2) The oil will impregnate the liner of the boot as well. This is a good thing if the boot has a leather liner- but, if the liner is meant to act as breathable and/or waterproof layer, the oil will impregnate the pores of the liner and cause it to no longer be breathable (= sweaty, wet, cold feet), nor waterproof. Once the liner is impregnated with oil- it is for life.

I do not use oil-based conditioners on leather boots that I want to be supportive (e.g. work boots/logging boots/hiking boots/mountaineering boots/ski boots). I also do not want to destroy the effectiveness of the liner.

Wax-based treatments do not condition and maintain leather- they simply create a waterproof coating. It does work. However, apparently wax reacts with adhesives used to glue and resole boots. So- if you think you would like to resole your boots- DON'T use a wax-based product to waterproof the leather. Some boot cobblers won't even try to resole a boot if they find out it has been treated with wax.

I use water-based leather treatments to condition, maintain and waterproof my leather boots. You can absolutely saturate the leather with the stuff- without over-softening the leather and without ruining the liner. And with the leather regularly conditioned, it almost lasts forever- unless it gets cut.

Anyway- I may seem a bit nerdy and obsessive about this- it is based on 25 years experience- and experiment/research- wearing quality leather boots in the field in all seasons and all climates, as a professional faller, forester/field technician, and backcountry skier. I have spoken to many cobblers and leather boot manufacturers about this as well.

High-quality leather boots with synthetic liners that insulate, breathe and even repell water are the BOMB man. And the way to maintain them is with a water-based treatment.

I worked as faller on the West Coast in the mid-1990s- temperate rainforest. I bought a pair of high-quality, old-school, full grain leather faller's boots, with welted soles. Based on the tradition- I treated them with mink oil- constantly- it turned them into slippers, and my feet were wet for two years straight...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:50 pm

The Alico Ski March has a high-quality inner boot with layers of Thinsulate insulation and a Cambrelle breathable layer.

I would not treat this boot with an oil-based treatment- your feet will be cold and wet.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:05 pm

lowangle al wrote: I would say that a burly leather boot will ski more like a light plastic boot than it will like a boot like the Alpina Alaska.
I agree with you Al.

There is a huge difference between a leather Telemark boot and a leather XC boot.

The Alaska is a XC boot- period. It may have the appearance of a mountaineering boot in styling- but it is WAAY softer than any leather mountaineering boot I have ever heard of.

My impression is that the same as yours- I interpreted the OP to be trying to decide between a leather Telemark boot, and a flexible plastic Telemark boot (e.g. Excursion/T4).

The Excursion is amazingly soft and flexible for a plastic boot- there have been many leather Telemark boots that are way stiffer than the Excursion!

Over the years I have tried some leather Tele boots that are so stiff, that they are miserable to XC ski in. The Excursion may not offer complete flexible freedom of a true XC boot (like the Alaska), but it is certainly comfortable to XC ski in. The T4- though flexible for a plastic Tele boot- is stiffer and not as comfortable to XC ski in- though I personally prefer the extra downhill stability of the T4 over the Excursion- everything has trade-offs.

If Bob and Derrick are comfortably skiing on skis as wide as the S-Bound 112 and the BC125, with the Ski March- it is most definitely a Tele boot.

I have yet to do more than wear my Ski Marches around the office. I love the powerful flex of the sole- I can already feel the powerful transfer through the ball of my foot into the floor/ski!

EvanTrem
Ski style: XCD, Telemark, Backcountry
Favorite Skis: K2 Work Stinx w/ 22 Designs Outlaw X, Madshus Annum w/ Voile 3 Pin
Favorite boots: TX Comp, Alico Ski March

Post by EvanTrem » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Great info on boot treatment stuff.

I'm excited to try out the Alico March/Annum/Voile Cable setup.
I just picked up Annum 185s from Amazon of all places for $230. So excited to get this setup mounted up and take it out.

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:03 pm

for those UK Army surplus Alico boots, would you say size up or down a half size? I'm usually a UK8.5 and wonder if I should get the 8 or the 9. thanks

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 pm

I am a US size 11. I do not have a wide foot, I wear Scarpa T-4's comfortably. I have a pair of hunting boots that are a wide, my wife bought them for me. I can lace them to fit, I put a lot of miles chasing beagles in cedar swamps in those boots. They might have not been the perfect fit, they laced up to fit.
I ordered my Ski March boots one size smaller as recommended, size 10 British. When they arrived as a 10W I was really concerned. Fortunately they come with a thick felt insole. The insole took up the extra volume nicely. Mine fit great, good luck with yours. It certainly is not the ideal ordering boots through the mail.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:47 pm

I hvae one size too big Ski Marches, and I am happy with that. They are quite narrow (I have UK 10M size, I guess the M means medium width last) and fit me very well even if the toe box is slightly too long.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:09 pm

The standard conversion is that UK is one size larger than US Men's,

For example my typical size US Men's is a 9- and equivalent UK size should be a size 8- which "should" be a 42EU.

I sometimes need a 9.5US for a boot to fit me properly across the ball of my foot. If I could get ski boots in a 42.5 I think it would be consistently perfect (my Scarpa backpacking and mountaineering boots are 42.5- they fit perfect).

I ordered the size 8UK in the Ski March- they are a touch on the short side with my slightly longer left foot.

HOWEVER- they are huge volume for my poor small volume feet- if I went with a size 9UK they would be so voluminous that my heel would get torn to shreds, and my metatarsus crushed.

I would suggest that they are large volume boots- and perhaps a tad short for their size (i.e a size 9US is usually plenty long for me on the left foot).