Black Diamond 01 binding

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
flipphonegirl

Black Diamond 01 binding

Post by flipphonegirl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Since this binding is no longer available, does anyone have a suggestion on a binding w/similar characteristics? I have skied this binding for many years now and have been very happy with it. I ski both resort and occasional back country.

teleclub

Re: Black Diamond 01 binding

Post by teleclub » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:06 pm

I still see them available from various outlets if you want to stay with the O1

www.backcountry.com has the "black-diamond-o1-telemark-ski-binding" in size small on sale for $209.96 and the larger size may be available somewhere too.

What do you like about it that you want to find in the next binding?

I only skied it a little, and a long time ago but I remember a neutral feeling binding.
If it's the under-the-boot springs and free pivot touring feature, an Axel would check most boxes if it could be set up for neutral enough feel. (Funny since back in the day the O1 was thought to be a copy of the Rainey Designs HH; a small controversy raged about this.)

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:33 pm

I wouldn't qualify the 01 as being neutral (a 3 pin binding is...). The Hammerhead can be adjusted for activity from #1 (neutral) to #5 (very active).

The controversy was about the advent of the Black Diamond Pitbull (with the springs in the front, a feature of RDesign) which seemed at the time to be a copy of the HH. Nothing to do with the 01.

Sorry about that. No offense.

To answer the OP question: You would probably like The Axl, if you can't find any 01... and it is adjustable (3 different positions) in terms of activity.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:39 am

Agree, I'd go with 22Designs' Axl binding. You can adjust activity level and dial it in to a similar feel (and a more solid binding).

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:07 am

Rodbelan wrote: ...The controversy was about the advent of the Black Diamond Pitbull (with the springs in the front, a feature of RDesign) which seemed at the time to be a copy of the HH. Nothing to do with the 01.

Sorry about that. No offense...
No offense taken. I remember the Pitbull vs, RDesign controversy you mention and was surprised that the BD O2 binding was being boycotted by some staff at shops in SLC and PC when it came out. They told me it because it was a rip-off of RDesigns. Maybe they were carrying the Pitbull controversy over to BD's next design, but they were specifically down on the O2.

Here also I may need a memory check-- I recall the O2 being the first BD released in the series with the O1 and O3 coming later(?).

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:50 am

teleclub wrote:Here also I may need a memory check-- I recall the O2 being the first BD released in the series with the O1 and O3 coming later(?).
The 02 and 03 definitely came out before the 01 because that the touring mode was still in development. I can't recall if the 02 came before or at the same time as the 03. I switched from the dark side in '05 and the BD 03s were my first pair of bindings. I believe BD released the 01 at the end of 2005.