Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Young Satchel

Re: Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Post by Young Satchel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:35 am

Ok so I spoke to my shop, and they are willing to cut me what seems to me like a hell of a good deal:

Fischer Traverse 78 Crown (189)
Rotefella NNN-BC Manual Bindings
Fischer Offtrack 3 BC Boots
Poles (did not clarify which type)

The total cost of this package will be $525.00 including tax (15% “package discount) and I have earned enough loyalty points to knock it down to $500 flat with a 25.00 “cash-back” discount.

These are not the boots I want, but honestly if I were to build this same package ala Cart with the Alpina Alaskas I desire, it would easily crest the $700 mark.

Alternatively I could buy the skis at sale price ($239) with bindings mounted at full cost (100ish) and deal with the boots and poles myself later.

Seems like if the goal is to get out there, have fun, and start with a quality setup that gives me room to grow this would be a great bet.

Thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lars

Re: Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Post by Lars » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:59 am

If you feel comfortable that those boots will offer you sufficient support for what you want to do, it looks like a nice deal.

I went a little beefier with the fischer bcx 6 instead of the 3s. That choice cost me ~$80.

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:04 am

Lars wrote:If you feel comfortable that those boots will offer you sufficient support for what you want to do, it looks like a nice deal.

I went a little beefier with the fischer bcx 6 instead of the 3s. That choice cost me ~$80.
I mean honestly? I’m not sure if they will offer me sufficient Support for some of the things I’d LIKE to do, but I think that’s what they have in stock/are offering in this case. And as far as my ultimate goal which is “get the fuck out the door and get on some skis in the extremely limited free-time you have” I think they’ll be just FINE for half-a-season. They don’t work for steeper terrain where I need more force and less flex? I upgrade next season

Also at the price this comes in at I could sell the boots for cheap and grab another better pair if these seem like they really dont work.

I dunno.

Ima think on it.

Appreciate the feedback, Lars!

Lars

Post by Lars » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:07 am

FWIW, my gf has the offtrack 3 My Style from Fischer (which to me looks nearly identical to the offtrack 3s). She uses them with Fischer 68s and loves them.

I highly doubt you'll be disappointed with them.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:28 am

Hey Satchel,

Only have a moment to comment.

Excellent ski and excellent XC boot. My family has a couple of pairs of this boot- it is warm, very comfortable, and offers moderate support (i.e. like a "day-hking" boot as opposed to a "backpacking" boot). For XC skiing it is all the support you need.

Contrary to how the Alaska might look (i.e. it looks like a mountaineering boot), the Alaska is not a lot more suportive than the Offtrack 3, and certainly no more supportive than the BCX5 or the Offtrack 5. I would classify the Alaska as having the support of a light-duty backpacking boot.

Lars' BCX6 is more supportive than the Alaska.

With routine maintenance, the Alaska might be more durable than the Offtrack 3- but, I actually doubt you would notice a huge difference in support.

THOUGH- the Alaska does have a stiffer more supportive sole than the OT3- the sole-flex of the Alaska and the BCX6 are almost identical.

I say go for it!

(BTW- I appreciate your openness regarding your life's joy and challenges- takes real guts to talk about it- I can relate to your story.)

Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:36 am

lilcliffy wrote:Hey Satchel,

Only have a moment to comment.

Excellent ski and excellent XC boot. My family has a couple of pairs of this boot- it is warm, very comfortable, and offers moderate support (i.e. like a "day-hking" boot as opposed to a "backpacking" boot). For XC skiing it is all the support you need.

Contrary to how the Alaska might look (i.e. it looks like a mountaineering boot), the Alaska is not a lot more suportive than the Offtrack 3, and certainly no more supportive than the BCX5 or the Offtrack 5. I would classify the Alaska as having the support of a light-duty backpacking boot.

Lars' BCX6 is more supportive than the Alaska.

With routine maintenance, the Alaska might be more durable than the Offtrack 3- but, I actually doubt you would notice a huge difference in support.

THOUGH- the Alaska does have a stiffer more supportive sole than the OT3- the sole-flex of the Alaska and the BCX6 are almost identical.

I say go for it!

(BTW- I appreciate your openness regarding your life's joy and challenges- takes real guts to talk about it- I can relate to your story.)

Gareth
Gareth,

Good to hear from you man! So happy you took the time to chime in.

Sounds like it’s a solid deal all-around. Gonna call back and jump on it. Phone order with pickup next weekend. The only bummer is that next Friday is 48F and rainy [emoji30][emoji24].

Oh well, bottom line: with this out of the way I’ll be in the game with an A-class set of skis and ready to start learning (aka teaching myself) the ins-and-outs of Nordic BC. Given my pre-existing love of hiking, backpacking, and trail running I can’t see how this won’t be a great fit.

Hope all is well with you and the fam. Talk Soon....

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:22 pm

BOOM.....

DONE.

Fischer T78s
NNN-BC Manual
Fischer OT3 BC Boots
Fischer Poles (model tbd once they fit me in person)

Very very excited.

Huge thanks to everyone here on the forum who’s been helping me SINCE AUGUST [emoji24]. Solid gang. Look forward to these touching snow soon! Will post up some flicks when I get the gear.

[emoji1365][emoji1365][emoji1365]

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Hey considering LC's excellent advice with real world experience, just delete my PM. I didn't see LCs response until after I sent you the PM

Young Satchel

Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Post by Young Satchel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Woodserson wrote:Hey considering LC's excellent advice with real world experience, just delete my PM. I didn't see LCs response until after I sent you the PM
All good, I appreciate your time regardless.

It may not be the BEST deal ever seen, but I literally paid a couple bucks under 5 Bills all-in. I cannot find that equivalent deal for the T78 in-stock, in my size, drilled-and-mounted anywhere currently. Not saying it doesn’t exist, but I looked fairly hard over the past few months and found no package with the 78s under five.

I don’t have a ton of money, but what I have even less of is time. I’ve been marinating on this purchase since August, and am really happy to have beat the decision paralysis and pulled the trigger. Now Let’s see if I can find time to use them! [emoji24]