Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Desmo

Re: Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Post by Desmo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:56 pm

I just bought a set of those poles a couple of weeks ago....seem pretty good so far.

Pouring rain here too....the snow is almost gone. What's left will probably be frozen tomorrow.

Young Satchel

Re: Help A Northeastern Trail Runner & Backpacker Build His First Nordic Backcountry Set-Up!

Post by Young Satchel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:14 pm

Desmo wrote:I just bought a set of those poles a couple of weeks ago....seem pretty good so far.

Pouring rain here too....the snow is almost gone. What's left will probably be frozen tomorrow.
It’s brutal!

My friends are here from Canada and brought their skis and we were all hoping to get some trail time in :-(

Looks like we should be getting some more snow here in the NE starting tomorrow and then again mid-next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:18 pm

Woodserson wrote:Nice! I am remounting my 78's now back to NNNBC as we speak
Rad. Gotta say, these are a nice looking pair of skis :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:56 pm

This makes sense! Would be interested in what you think of your waxless E99s versus the 78.

I can barely use my waxless E99s- too little grip...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:34 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
This makes sense! Would be interested in what you think of your waxless E99s versus the 78.

I can barely use my waxless E99s- too little grip...
I really like my waxless crown E99's-- 205cm. They have more rocker than I would like for this particular type of ski, but I use them in rougher snow, so it works out. They can be slow in perfectly smooth conditions (rocker problems-- the glide section doesn't have that same contact with the snow, imo). Also, I only use them in granular and warm wet snow, otherwise I use my dreamy wood Madshus/Asnes skis. No grip issues here... I'm 160lbs on a 205, it's the blueish extralite version.

The 78's are for more trail-breaking long and flat tours in the White Mountains. This was my only ski of this type for several years and they have served me really well but got shuffled to the back with the other options I had. I was going to write this ski off completely but then I decided they have a place, especially since I went shorter with my SBound98's.