Nordic backcountry setup for above treeline

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Re: Nordic backcountry setup for above treeline

Post by Rodbelan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:20 am

^^^Well said.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Everything is relative rongon, I remember my first time out with leather tele boots and I thought they were too stiff for touring. That was in the days before nnn-bc so there were no other options available so I stuck with them. Now they are the lightest boots I ski. I've retired my 4 buckle chrispis for T-2 ecos and last year I got some T4s. They worked great on the turn oriented tours I did and I look forward to doing some longer tours with lighter skis this season.

You are right that you never know where it will take you. It took my wife almost thirty years and a pair of vectors to become a turn junkie.

hrishi

Post by hrishi » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:18 pm

Thanks for the input, folks.

@satsuma
Mostly, I want to comment on #1--your wife, at 92 lbs, is at the very weight end of adult skis. She will marginally be able to compress the camber to go uphill on skis with a wide weight range (ie the Fischers). A shorter ski with a narrower weight range might be a better choice. I would guess your wife is not the strongest person, and a shorter ski will also be easier to wedge. There is no advantage to a longer ski for her in powder--she isn't going to sink, and speed will not be an issue. Climbing and wedging should be your concerns.

The 169 cms are probably less than recommended for you. A shorter ski will be more maneuverable, but will not float as well.
After your mention of compressing the camber, we did the 'paper test', and found that the paper is just able to pass under when the skis are evenly loaded, but not when only one ski takes the load. Whereas when I just walked and stepped on them evenly, my weight was too much and the paper didn't pass. Not sure how much difference this makes in the real world, but it has sort of convinced us to keep the skis for my wife (them having NNN-BC bindings - same as her shoes, also makes things easier). I look forward to hear about your experience with the Excursion 88s.

@rongon
I think that if you're new to backcountry skiing, the important thing is to get a reasonable setup and just get out there as much as you can. After struggling the first season or two, you'll have a much clearer idea of what kind of skiing and terrain floats your boat.
Anyhow, just go out and ski and all will become much clearer. You may find yourself straying far from the path you see now. It's a journey...
These are indeed wise words. We got into skiing in April in the last few days of snow. The current deliberation is to ensure we don't miss even a weekend this season :). I also completely agree about things will become clearer after personally trying stuff out, and about straying. I learnt so much about the differences between track skis, BC 70, and Eon by skiing on them just once than I would ever from reading about them. For the coming season, except for skis for me, I think we are set in terms of gear. Now for me, I am looking for similar (or a touch less) touring capabilities of Excursion-88, but may be with more turnability. So in addition to E-88, I am also thinking of S-Bound 98 and Epoch. But may be they will be too much to handle on leather boots?

We are also planning to take some telemark lessons at resorts in Colorado (A-Basin?). Not sure if these setups are allowed (don't want to cause embarrassment to everyone lol). If not, then we'll have to rent some Garmont Excursions and BC 110.

@lowangle al
Everything is relative rongon, I remember my first time out with leather tele boots and I thought they were too stiff for touring.
We had a similar experience when we held mountaineering boots for the first time last winter. After 20-30 miles of climbing in them (over several outings), they are easily the most comfortable shoes I have ever had!

Grampatele

Post by Grampatele » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:37 am

Leather is so comfortable....You also get instant feel feed-back....It's kind of like wearing a living breathing thing...Oh and the leaves with snow on them....Hope to sample that soon...TM

hrishi

Post by hrishi » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Folks! I scored a deal on a pair of barely used Atomic Rainiers in 192cm with Voile 3-pin cable bindings (which literally look as though they have never been used!). The Rainiers have same tip and tail widths as the Excursion 88s, but a narrower waist. I'm guessing they will be more turny than E-88s.
So we are all set for the winter! So we ended up with #1 from my original post!
Thanks for suggestions and brainstorming.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59 am

As far as the Explorer 88's (which I think are a slightly older ski with similiar profile, we don't get sufficient snow until early December, since I have lived here.

I already have skis with 60 mm waist (but 68 tips), which sink pretty well in powder.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:38 pm

^^^Euh...What do you mean?
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Grampatele

Post by Grampatele » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:29 am

Raniers have the same stats as the Rebound....Often heard they didn't turn as well as the Rebounds....Rebounds were discontinued and I think because they break easily...beyond that the Rebounds were excellent BC skis and dynamite in powder especially the 189's....GT

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:36 pm

hrishi wrote: After your mention of compressing the camber, we did the 'paper test', and found that the paper is just able to pass under when the skis are evenly loaded, but not when only one ski takes the load. Whereas when I just walked and stepped on them evenly, my weight was too much and the paper didn't pass. Not sure how much difference this makes in the real world, but it has sort of convinced us to keep the skis for my wife
I don't think that the Fischer 88 is a double-cambered ski (somebody please correct me if I am wrong here!!)?
Regardless- your wife is so light that this ski is going to behave like a double-cambered ski- both in a XC context and downhill context. In an downhill context, she will not be able to evenly pressure and reverse-flex them. Whether this is OK or not depends on many, many things- but, learning the telemark turn with a double-cambered ski (NOT that it hasn't been done!!) is very challenging. (Forgive me- can't remember where you two are at as skiers- an accomplished Nordic skier might have no problem dealing with that camber underfoot on the downhill!).

So in addition to E-88, I am also thinking of S-Bound 98 and Epoch. But may be they will be too much to handle on leather boots?
This depends on terrain, snow, and skill- as well as the specific "leather" boot- some leather Telemark boots are very stiff and supportive...others are truly intended for XC performance...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

hrishi

Post by hrishi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:02 pm

So we've had the opportunity to use the S-Bound 88s and Atomic Rainiers in Tetons :) . Here's the trip report: http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1815

My wife did have trouble doing aggressive snowploughs on the steeper and somewhat icy slopes on her over-sized S-Bounds, but but she is also a beginner and the terrain was not optimal, so its hard to identify the exact cause. On softer snow and mellower terrain, she did fine. I had big time trouble going uphill with the Rainiers- they just wouldn't grip enough! It's sort of annoying. I am considering getting a kicker skin for them. Their downhill capabilities were pretty satisfying for the trip and my skill level.