Tele vs parallel.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Tele vs parallel.

Post by connyro » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:59 am

TeleWord wrote:In a word, WRONG!
LOL. Perfect response to let me know I'm right.

Harris

Post by Harris » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Can't... Help... It... Powder is not always so boss to Tele.

http://www.earnyourturns.com/wp-content ... rn_500.jpg

rongon
Ski style: Wanderer - XCD, telemark
Favorite Skis: Fischer Rebound (3-Pins), Madshus Annum (Switchback), Elan Ripstick 96 (Switchback X2)
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme, Crispi CXP

Post by rongon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:21 pm

Just coz it's sorta on-topic...

I remember going skiing off-piste on a day with about a foot of fresh, into the thickets, fairly steep. I was with an acquaintance who is a much, much better skier than I am. I was on my redoubtable Annum/Switchback/CXP setup, he was on Rebounds/pins/leathers. This fellow has never learned to tele, but is a former downhill ski instructor, etc. He skied anything I skied, better than I did, making p-turns all the way down, even in his pretty much pure 'cross country' setup. I was thinking it would be great if I could p-turn like that, with so much control, even on the totally 'wrong' setup for conditions and terrain. That taught me that skill trumps gear. After that, I took an alpine lesson at a ski area, in my tele rig, but making all p-turns.

Now I need to figure out how to make a quick jump turn without needing to plant both poles to get airborne. Always something to learn!

OK, sorry for the interruption. Carry on...

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 am

rongon wrote:That taught me that skill trumps gear.
That is one ultimate truth.
And also the reason why we, XCDers, are such a small minority...
rongon wrote:Now I need to figure out how to make a quick jump turn without needing to plant both poles to get airborne. Always something to learn!
Ahahah.. I remember that... I remember being stuck at that stage for a long time... Just be patient... And keep you upper body facing down the fall line all the time... ;)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Grampatele

Post by Grampatele » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:58 am

Easy to learn...heh....Just head over to the Gulf of Slides on Washington.....In the middle there was a straight fall line curve....Sooo came around flew off the "rise" twisted around 180o....dropped 10 feet and repeated the other way...Really wasn't any way to stop till the bottom....Seriously use the double pole plant to get started also natural dips in the woods...Go into them with speed and if you have energy skis (double camber) they will spring out with double energy and then it's airborne and it's a lot easier turning in air than on the snow....have a blast!!!!! TM

colinstone

Post by colinstone » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:32 am

In UK we call mono turns "snurfing" ! Great balance training, especially down a GS course.

As a late convert to tele from alpine, I use alpine turns mainly when my legs are tired. The tele skiing sensation is just too good to miss! Last winter did a lot of work on bumps and now great doing tele turns, whereas in my alpine days never really got on with them.
Telemark. The only reason to go down on one knee.

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:42 am

Colin - I use Tele turns when my legs get stiff from Alpine turns!