Hard wires or NTN? And what ski?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
kareng

Re: Hard wires or NTN? And what ski?

Post by kareng » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:16 am

Anyone know first hand how the Liberty Helix handles on groomers? I've have now many reviews on it and most say it's great everywhere but a few say it's no good on groomed.
The Vokyl Mantra sounds perfect for all around except maybe a bit on the heavier side? And maybe more for an aggressive skier? I probably can be considered aggressive compared to people I know but maybe not so much here. I like to carve a turn and feel it through the entire ski but I also prefer control and liking turns easily over high speed GS top to bottom.
Do I understand correctly that I could take the VICE on the odd short backcountry hike? It's just not as efficient and there is no lifter to help in the uphill? (These days I occasionally take my dog out for a jaunt up and hour or so of hiking and then ski down. Otherwise, I'm hiking to bowls from the top of lifts or skiing in bounds.)

Thanks!

NTN Mike

Post by NTN Mike » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:04 am

I apologize for my late reply.....

NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN

Go NTN! If you like power, and carving, and control, and preciseness, releasability, brakes, etc ect etc then you should give NTN a try. There is a reason you will not see World Cup level racers on any 75mm gear anymore - there is a competitive advantage to NTN... You can manhandle skis, push harder with less effort.

If your boots fit real well - keep them, especially the liners.You can swap liners into a new shell, if the new liner does not fit as well. You can keep the T2s for squirrel chasing, or as it is known here - "XCD"

For a ski, check out the DPS wailer 99 in the alchemist or pure 3 core. Its light, and super stable. Carves very well on the firm while floating and pivoting (slarving) quite well in the deep. (I've got outlaws mounted on mine.. heading up this am to ski 4" of mank on top of 3 weeks of slush that finally froze overnight.) = Versatile

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:06 am

I would get the AXLs over the VICE bindings if you plan to tour/climb at all. The AXLS perform just as well as the VICEs on the down but the AXLSs with their free-pivot are much better on the tour or up track.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:55 pm

I'll echo the point that if you're going with Vice's, don't. Get Axls. Might as well have the touring option.

I'd also look at Voile Switchback X2 or original Switchback if you like a more neutral feel. Voile is in Utah, its factory is there, and they make very simple and durable stuff.

The NTN option works for some, not so much for others. It's heavy and stiff but provides a noticeable gain in lateral control. IMHO, I would demo them before I dropped $1000 on NTN boots and bindings. If you go that way, 22D's Outlaw gets more love than the Rottefella options.

Skis -- so many choices. 100-110 in the waist if you prefer spending more time off groomers. 90-105 if you spend a fair amount of time on hardpack. Tip rocker for sure. Tail shape/rocker seems to generate more divergent views.

Harris

Post by Harris » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:36 am

I agree with most every comment above. I have NTN (most binding versions) but now ski my old duck bill Garment Garas, using 22 Designs Vice and Axel bindings. There is no skiing difference between the Axel and Vice, but the Axel has the backcountry pivot ability but costs about a hundred bucks more than the Vice. However, the Axel is about the same cost as an NTN binding. The very cool thing about both the Axel and Vice is that there is a quick pin setup incorporated that allows you to change the activeness of the binding significantly, as for where the boot flexes, meaning you can tailor it to your preference. No NTN quite does that as well; with NTN you only get a choice of how much spring load is pulling the heal down, but doesn't change the BOF feel. The big advantages of NTN is the step-in function and its alpine turning ability (it holds the heel down more), which is good if you are doing jumps and skiing at the limit crud etc where you default to a parallel to save it. Otherwise I personally think the duckbill telemarks better, and I can still alpine it quite well using active duckbill bindings. Going NTN is an expensive jump you really might not like. If anything I would demo a setup first.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:00 am

You definitely need to try before buying... Some prefer em some dislike em. And it takes a little while to get use to em. I still prefer my 75. I tried the Freeride a couple of times; I liked the way they ski but not enough to change everything in my quiver. I still need to try Outlaws, Freedom & Meidjo to have a better overview of the phenomena...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

teledance

Post by teledance » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:06 am

kareng wrote: The Vokyl Mantra sounds perfect for all around except maybe a bit on the heavier side? And maybe more for an aggressive skier? I probably can be considered aggressive compared to people I know but maybe not so much here. I like to carve a turn and feel it through the entire ski but I also prefer control and liking turns easily over high speed GS top to bottom.
Thanks!
The womens version is the Volkl Aura, and it's almost as hard charging. I know my wife prefers K2 skis, but she is more of an intermediate skier.

kareng

Post by kareng » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:17 am

Narrowed it down between DPS Nina 99 (125.99.111) or Liberty Helix 105 (135.105.122) as my quiver of 1 all mountain ski.
Any thoughts?

kareng

Post by kareng » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:30 am

NTN Mike wrote:I apologize for my late reply.....

NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN NTN

Go NTN! If you like power, and carving, and control, and preciseness, releasability, brakes, etc ect etc then you should give NTN a try. There is a reason you will not see World Cup level racers on any 75mm gear anymore - there is a competitive advantage to NTN... You can manhandle skis, push harder with less effort.

If your boots fit real well - keep them, especially the liners.You can swap liners into a new shell, if the new liner does not fit as well. You can keep the T2s for squirrel chasing, or as it is known here - "XCD"

For a ski, check out the DPS wailer 99 in the alchemist or pure 3 core. Its light, and super stable. Carves very well on the firm while floating and pivoting (slarving) quite well in the deep. (I've got outlaws mounted on mine.. heading up this am to ski 4" of mank on top of 3 weeks of slush that finally froze overnight.) = Versatile
Thanks for your comments. This is really helpful especially ski suggestion. I'm looking at DPS Nina 99 pure 3 hybrid. I demoed DPS wailer 112 with NTN on powder day at area. Super fun in the powder but I think I need something a little more versatile.

kareng

Post by kareng » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:34 am

Harris wrote:I agree with most every comment above. I have NTN (most binding versions) but now ski my old duck bill Garment Garas, using 22 Designs Vice and Axel bindings. There is no skiing difference between the Axel and Vice, but the Axel has the backcountry pivot ability but costs about a hundred bucks more than the Vice. However, the Axel is about the same cost as an NTN binding. The very cool thing about both the Axel and Vice is that there is a quick pin setup incorporated that allows you to change the activeness of the binding significantly, as for where the boot flexes, meaning you can tailor it to your preference. No NTN quite does that as well; with NTN you only get a choice of how much spring load is pulling the heal down, but doesn't change the BOF feel. The big advantages of NTN is the step-in function and its alpine turning ability (it holds the heel down more), which is good if you are doing jumps and skiing at the limit crud etc where you default to a parallel to save it. Otherwise I personally think the duckbill telemarks better, and I can still alpine it quite well using active duckbill bindings. Going NTN is an expensive jump you really might not like. If anything I would demo a setup first.
Thanks for your comments. I'm glad to hear support for duckbills. I'm going to stick with mine and probably choose one of the 22 designs bindings. Thanks for explaining the specifics between them all. That's super helpful.