Free pivot binding vs. 3-pins with T4 class boots?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
iBjorn

Free pivot binding vs. 3-pins with T4 class boots?

Post by iBjorn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:33 am

A few years ago, I did some testing using LiteDogz (with or without free pivot) and T4s, including doing laps with time and heart rate pulse measurements. Although, the feel with free pivot was very different - I could not measure any clear difference, either in lap time or effort assessed as pulse measurement. So I concluded that the free pivot is not worth the hassle, weight and complexity when skiing 3-pins with low boots, although the feeling was very different.

Has anyone else tried to make objective tests on this

(And yes, when using higher boots, even T2s and or Kenais, and active/cable bindings, the difference with free pivot is huge, but thats not my point).
Last edited by iBjorn on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merak

Re: Free pivot vs. 3-pins with low boots?

Post by merak » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:01 am

The biggest disadvantage is when climbing 30 and above slopes cause you can't turn the skis uphill. I also think it's not worthy.
I made a tour last weekend with some chili and loose voile cables and I was very pleased with the results. The conditions were pretty nasty with ice, bumbs (I finally broke one ski) but the bindings were perfect. I will start using the cables from now on.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:18 am

iBjorn wrote:A few years ago, I did some testing using LiteDogz (with or without free pivot) and T4s, including doing laps with time and heart rate pulse measurements. Although, the feel with free pivot was very different - I could not measure any clear difference, either in lap time or effort assessed as pulse measurement. So I concluded that the free pivot is not worth the hassle, weight and complexity when skiing 3-pins with low boots, although the feeling was very different.

Has anyone else tried to make objective tests on this

(And yes, when using higher boots, even T2s and or Kenais, and active/cable bindings, the difference with free pivot is huge, but thats not my point).
Not sure how low of a boot you mean, but I use Excursions with Switchbacks often. I prefer the softer plastic, low cuffs, and overall comfort of those boots. For me, the comfort and willingness to ski all day due to the comfort is what matters most to me. I would NOt use a leather boot like Asolo Snowfields or even Extremes with the SBs: the soles of that type of boot tends to bend and twist oddly when you load tension when skiing downhill on them in my experience.
merak wrote:The biggest disadvantage is when climbing 30 and above slopes cause you can't turn the skis uphill. I also think it's not worthy.
I made a tour last weekend with some chili and loose voile cables and I was very pleased with the results. The conditions were pretty nasty with ice, bumbs (I finally broke one ski) but the bindings were perfect. I will start using the cables from now on.
IF I understand you correctly, you're saying that when climbing on steep slopes you can't kick-turn or switchback/change direction due to the free pivot? If so, there's some good techniques that can be used. I don't know the names of them or anything, but it involves snapping the tip of the ski towards the knee so it clears the snow, allowing you to change direction.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:50 am

For K&G I rarely use the free pivot even with T2s on most bindings. My SBx2s have a limited range of motion so I may use it with them. The free pivot does work for K&G but for most of my climbing I do a lot of sidestepping and it's no good for that. Yeah, so I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't notice any benefits with low boots.

merak

Post by merak » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:40 pm

connyro wrote:
IF I understand you correctly, you're saying that when climbing on steep slopes you can't kick-turn or switchback/change direction due to the free pivot?
No. I mean the other way around. With free pivot of course you can kick turn.

iBjorn

Re: Free pivot binding vs. 3-pins with T4 class boots?

Post by iBjorn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Change the title of the thread to make it more clear.

In the skimo race I participated in today, the fastest tele skier (as I noted) was actually using T2s and non-pivoting cable bindings (Targas I think). He was faster than the guy with Meidjo or the guys with Rottefella NTN bindings.