NTN Freeride/Freedom plate compatibility

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Hoka Hey

NTN Freeride/Freedom plate compatibility

Post by Hoka Hey » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:37 pm

Been a long time. I have the last generation orange NTN "freeride" and they are getting worse for the wear. I have the last version of the stamped steel plates (modified for my skis and inserts) mounted on all my skis. I do not want to change the plates. Will the new Freeride fit the steel plates? Any chance the Freedom fit the old plates??

I remember discussion on the old board about the plastic not working on the older binding but then they did work on the old binding. I also recall the plate being totally different for the Freedom, which is what I would like but will stick with freeride if I have to.

RiderOnTheSluff

Re: NTN Freeride/Freedom plate compatibility

Post by RiderOnTheSluff » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:07 pm

Freedom's don't use any plates to save weight.

Guys in the shop swore to me that Freeride plates are compatibly across the metal to plastic switch but I haven't tried it.

YMMV

TomH

Post by TomH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:13 pm

New black freerides will mount to any of the metal plates and the pink plastic plates. On the old TTips, most folks with orange freerides couldn't get them onto the new pink plates, except for *maybe* the last run of oranges.

The hole patterns of the metal plates and pink plate are different. As noted above, the freedom doesn't use a sub-plate, but does share the 6-hole pattern in the pink plates, but needs another few screws in addition.

Hoka Hey

Post by Hoka Hey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:13 pm

I bought a new pair of Freerides and they work flawlessly on my old metal plates. Thanks for the info!

marc

Post by marc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:29 pm

I couldn't get my orange freerides onto the pink plastic plates. I found a set of older metal plates to mount on my second pair of skis.

/Marc

smaug

Post by smaug » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:05 am

Strange. I just asked Rottefella the same question and they replied:
You cannot use new bindings on old plates, but you can use old bindings on new plate if you change to new ski stopper.