3-pin limit

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
merak

Re: 3-pin limit

Post by merak » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:42 am

I've mounted the chili's on some skis and barely had time for a little kick and glide last evening in the moon shine. They are stiffer and it occurred to me that telemark can only be learned using the cables. Am I right? Without the tension provided by them it is harder to feel the move.

And another thing: these R. Chili are not meant for uphill. The cable is too stiff. How do you guys use them? The cable barely fit my boot at the maximum length. I have some red version of the manufacturer. The cables seems to be S size but it fitted a 28.5 mondo size.

merak

Post by merak » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:49 am

So here I am starting my new collection of antiques. This is the pair I bought yesterday.
134615804_1_644x461_vand-legaturi-schiuri-iasi.jpg
They don't have any risers but I will use the hind part of some silvretta 300 bindings and probably the cables from voile which are less resistant. Or maybe just keep them for on piste... which may mean never :lol:

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:20 pm

merak wrote:I've mounted the chili's on some skis and barely had time for a little kick and glide last evening in the moon shine. They are stiffer and it occurred to me that telemark can only be learned using the cables. Am I right? Without the tension provided by them it is harder to feel the move.

And another thing: these R. Chili are not meant for uphill. The cable is too stiff. How do you guys use them? The cable barely fit my boot at the maximum length. I have some red version of the manufacturer. The cables seems to be S size but it fitted a 28.5 mondo size.
Well, before the free pivot bindings (Switchback, Axl, BD 01), folks skinned up in those kinds of bindings. Sure, there were the hardwires that could be taken off and some just used three pins, but yeah, you can go uphill in them, it's just a lot of resistance.

You can learn telemark in 3 pins too, but again, it's a little harder because it requires better balance and control (keeping knees together, butt tucked in, hands in front, etc.).

I will check our local supplies of gear and if I can find a free pivot binding for cheap, I'll send it your way.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:27 pm

dnt_upton wrote: I will check our local supplies of gear and if I can find a free pivot binding for cheap, I'll send it your way.
<thumbs up>

That's the spirit.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:05 pm

You can K&G with the chilis. Maybe yours have too much tension on the cables because it sounded like they were maxed out.

Although it can be done I never K&G in free pivot mode. I only use it for skinning.

merak

Post by merak » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:59 am

dnt_upton wrote:I think the point is that it's possible to go with that gear and dial in your technique to make it happen, but in the snow conditions you describe, different gear such as the 3-pin Hardwire or Switchback X2, would make that far easier and possibly more fun. The skis are fine, though quite skinny by U.S. west coast standards. I also think the T2 Eco is a far superior boot to the T4 that the small weight gain is worth every ounce.
What about this model of Scarpa T2? Does it worth considering? I have an offer on some local site.
I mean: are they much stiffer then the T4's?
scar.jpg
I'm buying too much of this old stuff already :) I need a whole room for everything.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:59 am

Do not hesitate if the boots are in the same shape as these ones (actual picture). Don't take em if the sole developed too much rocker...

The T2 is a little stiffer in the sole; the cuff is also higher... A very good boot. There is a version with intuition liner; they are the best. Lighter than the old T4. The newer version (2016-2017) of T4 is probably lighter...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

frickus

Post by frickus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:33 am

I've had that model of Scarpa T2s for over 10 years and they are very comfy. I've spent long days skinning in them and used them at a number of CO resorts. I got the liner's professionally heat molded right after I got them, which I think really helped. The soles on mine are getting kinda banana shaped, so I guess I'll need to replace them some day...
The size and shape of your feet and calves may or may not work well with the shape of these boots, so YMMV.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:06 pm

merak wrote:What about this model of Scarpa T2? Does it worth considering? I have an offer on some local site. I mean: are they much stiffer then the T4's?
I believe that is the last version of the T2 before the puke green T2 Ecos came out. It's a comfortable, easy to flex boot. It's probably not much stiffer than the T4s, but it has a higher cuff and, in my view, is much better boot -- more comfortable and beefier relative to the T4.

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:26 pm

dnt_upton wrote:
merak wrote:What about this model of Scarpa T2? Does it worth considering? I have an offer on some local site. I mean: are they much stiffer then the T4's?
I believe that is the last version of the T2 before the puke green T2 Ecos came out. It's a comfortable, easy to flex boot. It's probably not much stiffer than the T4s, but it has a higher cuff and, in my view, is much better boot -- more comfortable and beefier relative to the T4.
It may be a matter if taste, I went from T4s to this version of T2, never liked them, went back to T4s... ;) as far as I recall, they had a stiff rocker toe and I ripped the front screw on 3 screw bindings on two Different set of skis, despite skiing them mostly with unlocked and unbuckled shaft.

However, If the price is right go for them and try them!