To kicker skin or not to kicker skin that is the question?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
gitrinec

Re: To kicker skin or not to kicker skin that is the question?

Post by gitrinec » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:02 pm

STG,

I was kind of wondering that myself, though by looking at the rain totals through the Months, February has the lowest amount of precipitation, not that weather in the mountains match up to what is forecast at lower elevation most the time , probably less likely to avalanche in February compared to pushing into Spring though with heavy snowfall it's possible no matter the time of year. Can't wait to get back there, if I'm lucky maybe I can get some beginner ski lessons in Chamonix this May.

STG

Post by STG » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:40 pm

gitrinec:

Good luck and be safe! The Winds are so variable in terms of weather and conditions. Look forward to hearing about your adventure. If you haven't already, consider taking a level 1 avalanche class or doing some research/reading on the topic. I don't know what your knowledge base is on the topic of snow stability/route finding, so I hope you don't mind the suggestion. As you probably know, runout zones can be dangerous for cross-country skiers, not just people doing big mountain skiing.

gitrinec

Post by gitrinec » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks STG, I've looked into taking an AIARE Level 1 course, but haven't yet, I did read Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain, I'm good on Route finding, looking on Google earth helps also, you can spot run off areas on there. I usually do my homework on routes way beforehand. I always bring maps/compass/gps/altimeter for these kind of trips.

STG

Post by STG » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:36 am

gitrinec:

You obviously have navigation/route finding skills. I know you are a climber and those skills are essential. As someone who skis, hikes and backpacks, I think having strong route finding/navigational skills (compass/map/altimeter) are really important. It is amazing how many people don't know how to use a compass/map/altimeter to navigate. If I hike or ski with another person I want them to have those skills. STAYING ALIVE IN AVALANCHE TERRAIN is an excellent book and valuable resource. I like to look at google earth to compliment my topo map. Google earth helps with visualizing the terrain. Have some great adventures!