To kicker skin or not to kicker skin that is the question?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: To kicker skin or not to kicker skin that is the question?

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:28 am

What waxless skinny you on these days- the BC65?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:47 pm

lilcliffy wrote:What waxless skinny you on these days- the BC65?
Yup, the BC65s.This season I've realized that although they are soft and plasticky, they are a ton of fun for charging through brush and thick woods when you don't care about beating them up. I've also been using the USGI Combats ('Stormtroopers') when conditions are right. The snow's not deep enough for turns (we need 3-4 feet to cover the forest debris) so fast tours it is! I would add that the Alaska NNN-BC boots are the most comfortable footwear I've worn: that type of comfort is addicting!

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:04 pm

connyro wrote:
MikeK wrote:(you can wear skins descending too).
I guess you can descend with skins on, but I don't think it's a very good idea. Descending with skins is really unstable, especially once you get the skis on edge (they tend to take off once the skins are no longer fully engaged with the snow.) Your chances of falling/losing control are greater with skins on when descending.
I was thinking he was going to be using these skis for approach, so in a trail skiing context. I'm not thinking making turns is where one would do this. It's more a trail skier trick to avoid having to make turns (perhaps where you can't easily).

connyro

Post by connyro » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:39 am

MikeK wrote:I was thinking he was going to be using these skis for approach, so in a trail skiing context. I'm not thinking making turns is where one would do this. It's more a trail skier trick to avoid having to make turns (perhaps where you can't easily).
THAT makes sense. I was envisioning a beginner tele skier attempting to make turns with skins :shock:! For just sliding straight down a trail, sure, leave skins on. It's not much fun but it DOES beat taking skins off and putting them back on just for a short glide...

gitrinec

Post by gitrinec » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:50 pm

I have a feeling that being a non-skier I'll be switching between snow shoes and skis on the long trail. I'm going to get a pair of the full length skins and use the Epochs in wooded mountainous trails and those Asnes skis for mostly wide open flat to rolling hill approaches. It will be a lot of learning on the go, lol

gitrinec

Post by gitrinec » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:13 pm

Maybe I should get 4 of these, lol
Sam-Splint.jpg

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:20 pm

I think you'll be fine... skiing is fun, even on fast, narrow trails 8-)

Skins will slow you down considerably, so you can kind of use your skis like snowshoes. Obviously they will slide, but not nearly as fast as they will naked (and you can glissade down steep stuff on snowshoes ;))

Fussing around switching gear is no fun - most likely you'll be able to ski your way in to these places, but if it's a sketchy trail with fast snow, then you can try the skins and see if it helps.

Lots of people ski on skins these parts when the trails are packed down and icy.

gitrinec

Post by gitrinec » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:26 pm

MikeK, I guess the places that concern me the most, are areas with serious vertical drop-offs, no skiing down those, lol

The elevation changes at the bottom and mileage are probably not an exact match but should be pretty close.
GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:11 pm

You've hiked this haven't you?

I can't make any comment about anything based on a profile map because width, rocks, vegetation, snow quality and depth can all make a huge impact on how something skis. I've skied trails that were probably technically easy in sketchy conditions that were beyond expert to navigate. I've skied very advanced stuff in ideal conditions that would have probably caused me a need for that splint in others. I wouldn't consider myself an expert skier.

If the name of your games is using the skis to get from A to B, then you want to be as prepared as possible for bad conditions. Worse comes to worse you ditch the skis and go on snowshoes if you are doing an out and back trip (obviously retrieve the skis on the way out). If the skis are making you go slower, use more energy than walking or putting you in danger, then ditch them.

Are you planning on using a pulk? It sounds like you are going to be hauling some serious gear over some serious elevation and mileage.

I don't often deal with these kind of logistics because I just ski to go skiing, so if it's miserable or beyond my skill, I turn back early and do something else. In past years I did a lot of distance tours like this, so it's something I'm familiar with, and didn't want to have to walk back 5+ miles to my car if I wasn't prepared or I encountered something unexpected. It's tough to figure out what to take. 99% of the time you carry something and never use it, and the 1 time you don't bring it, you want it.

gitrinec

Post by gitrinec » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:09 pm

MikeK,

I"ve only hiked a section of it, went in around 8 miles and back out, guess it will be an adventure for sure. I think due to the glacier area and being a total newb on Skis, I might at times feel more comfortable using snowshoes, I guess until I actually get there and get some skiing in, I won't really know, I have plans to get some skiing in before I get there but not till 2018, lol