Voile Frankenbindings

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
EvanTrem
Ski style: XCD, Telemark, Backcountry
Favorite Skis: K2 Work Stinx w/ 22 Designs Outlaw X, Madshus Annum w/ Voile 3 Pin
Favorite boots: TX Comp, Alico Ski March

Voile Frankenbindings

Post by EvanTrem » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:36 pm

So I am currently looking at buying a bunch of used tele binding parts for pretty cheap. The lot of parts includes a pair of Rottefella Chilis along with a complete set of Voile 3 pins with cables and Voile hardwire cables and cartridges. My question is, does anyone know if Chili cables or Voile Hardwire cables can be put onto a Voile 3 pin toe piece? Looking on Voile's website here: http://www.voile.com/voile-telemark-bindings.html I can see that the toe pieces for the Hardwires and the 3 Pins are slightly different. I want to know if they will be interchangeable because I have a couple of skis already mounted with 3 Pin Cables and it would be nice to change the activity of the binding for different conditions via the different cable assemblies. Anyone tried combining frankenbinding setups like this?

SanJuanSam

Re: Voile Frankenbindings

Post by SanJuanSam » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:47 pm

iIt's worth a try, but the Rottefella rods have a slightly different hook than the voile. If it works let us know!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dorthman

Post by dorthman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:38 am

The hardwire cables only fit hardwire bindings. The the voile 3pin cable (sidethrow) uses different sized rod anchors that do not fit hardwires (too small). The dedicated 3pin hardwire (the blue one) is the only 3pin hardwire binding from voile

I was excited to be able to swap my switchback carts' to my 3-pins for some more oomph but nope

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:40 am

dorthman wrote:
I was excited to be able to swap my switchback carts' to my 3-pins for some more oomph but nope
I was wondering if that was possible. Just curious, the only binding I have skied more active than the 3pin HW is a Superloop. Any idea how the Superloop activity compares to the SB? I am just curious, I do not think I will mount any old alpine skis this season, but you never know. I have no plans on going any heavier than my T4 boots. I am only skiing in Michigan, most likely south of the Straits all year.

EvanTrem
Ski style: XCD, Telemark, Backcountry
Favorite Skis: K2 Work Stinx w/ 22 Designs Outlaw X, Madshus Annum w/ Voile 3 Pin
Favorite boots: TX Comp, Alico Ski March

Post by EvanTrem » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:02 pm

Quick update on this old thread. I just started pulling out my gear for the upcoming season. It looks like the hardwire bales off of a Rottefella Cobra work perfectly in a Voile 3-pin cable. Exactly what I was looking for. Essentially this lwill let me choose either the low activity original 3-pin cable bale or the Rottefella hardwire bale. I'm excited to be able to use my XCD skis with my lightweight plastic tele boots and my leather boots as well. :D

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:07 pm

I did that a couple of times: using a set of rod and cartridge from Rotte Cobra in my 3 pin cable toe piece... Works fine. Much more active... and smoother than if you crank the spring cable to its maximum...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:45 pm

EvanTrem wrote:Quick update on this old thread. I just started pulling out my gear for the upcoming season. It looks like the hardwire bales off of a Rottefella Cobra work perfectly in a Voile 3-pin cable. Exactly what I was looking for. Essentially this lwill let me choose either the low activity original 3-pin cable bale or the Rottefella hardwire bale. I'm excited to be able to use my XCD skis with my lightweight plastic tele boots and my leather boots as well. :D
that's really cool! you can go all the way from no cable at all to stiff cartridges.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)