Rope Tows to visit this year

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Re: Rope Tows to visit this year

Post by MikeK » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks... I'm already full of cheesy jokes and good at embarrassing myself and others, so I suppose the rest just came natural ;)

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:25 pm

I hear Titus Mountain in Malone NY is very "fun oriented" and welcomes XCD, etc. A nice backwoods trail system extends off the summit into the surrounded terrain the Titus Mountain State Forest apparently. I ran into a guy today extolling its virtues. One to consider, Mike.

Why I never skied there myself is an interesting question... out of sight, out of mind? I'd go to Malone occasionally and was often skiing in the BC to the east. I was all AT then, so the pull of the higher mountains south must have kept me clear of Titus. Now, I'd probably love it. $35 midweek. 1200 vert... sounds awesome.

http://www.titusmountain.com/the-mountain.html

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:52 pm

Yeah that place has been on my radar for some time. It's a long drive for me, like 4.5 hours +.

Don't think I'll make anything more than a day trip this year (so maybe within the 2-2.5 hour range) but once we are a mobile family again, I'll probably try to get up that way.

Thing is... there's A LOT of cool (to me) stuff in that 4 hour range. Titus is pretty low priority. I can get to Gore in 4 hours... it's expensive, but it's an awesome place to resort ski. It's pretty big with Tele. With all the flat spots, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have scales either :lol:

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Let's agree to forget your last post, here, mmmkay? Specifically the Gore part.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Oh - I'm sorry. Do you just not like Gore, or is it because it has a Gondi?

I'm not a big resort guy, but I don't mind that place (as long as I bring my own food and don't have to eat a $20 hot dog that is subsidized by my tax dollars).

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:04 am

Gore the Bore, where Nassau and Suffolk Counties come to play!

It's a fine mountain, but inextricably linked to terribleness... Crowds, price, etc. I dunno. And those flats!

Hickory?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:16 am

I think its worst problem is lack of snow. It just sits in a corner of the Adirondacks that isn't exactly very snowy.

The flats suck with Alpine... but for XCD, not an issue! Just take your scales or slap a little wax on them...

The price... yes... like any big ski resort... too much... but that's the cost to have all those lifts and make snow.

I've never been there when it's crowded. Always seemed big and wide open to me, and I like that part of it.

Hickory is probably cool... never been. Maybe someday.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:55 am

Wow! Check out this place in Claremont! Arrowhead--- look like a rope tow and also skin-up trails above the training slope-- XCD anyone?

http://www.arrowheadnh.com/trailmap.php

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:41 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR from Northeast Slopes in Corinth, VT! YEEAAAHHH! Beautiful weather, great snow, great people, great place, no complaints from me. Nice non-boring terrain. The beginner rope tow was f-f-f-fast and the TBar was awesome. The original rope tow is super quick and fast but not running, it's like a backup to the TBar.

I included the tensioning device for the rope tow because, c'mon, ropes and pulleys and wheels and weights and who doesn't love stuff like that?

It was a magical day of skiing, it was pretty special. I've wanted to go here FOR YEARS. So glad to have finally done it. I couldn't ask for a better way to start a new year!
20170101_142821.jpg
20170101_141334.jpg
20170101_141316.jpg
20170101_141308.jpg
20170101_135231.jpg

Weissbier

Post by Weissbier » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Hey! I saw you at Northeast Slopes today. We talked skis-- my BC 125s etc. Glad you liked it! Great conditions.