Rope Tows to visit this year

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
mugglesport

Re: Rope Tows to visit this year

Post by mugglesport » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:06 am

We joined Blackhawk Ski Club this year. The club was formed in 1947 as a ski jumping club. The facility has a few ropes, a respected xc loop, biathlon range, and a few ski jumps. They have a pretty big competitive youth jumping program. They even have a telemark night, which they claim is the "largest weekly gathering of telemark skiers in the Midwest" (maybe the only weekly gathering?).

http://www.blackhawkskiclub.org/

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:25 am

Cool - I see the XC loop goes along side the Alpine trails - loops like a good place to fine tune your XCD skills ;)

mugglesport

Post by mugglesport » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:55 pm

MikeK wrote:Cool - I see the XC loop goes along side the Alpine trails - loops like a good place to fine tune your XCD skills ;)
Exactly. Although the "alpine" areas are pretty tame. I took my new S-bounds (with teh cables and plastic boots) down those slopes last week relying on parallel turns and well....the snow was really really terrible.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:28 pm

mugglesport wrote: Exactly. Although the "alpine" areas are pretty tame. I took my new S-bounds (with teh cables and plastic boots) down those slopes last week relying on parallel turns and well....the snow was really really terrible.
Don't want to drift too much here, but how did you like the feeling of those stiff, light, cambered skis on crusty man-made? Brutal eh?

Just add a little bit of softness, and I promise, those skis come to life!

mugglesport

Post by mugglesport » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:35 pm

MikeK wrote:
mugglesport wrote: Exactly. Although the "alpine" areas are pretty tame. I took my new S-bounds (with teh cables and plastic boots) down those slopes last week relying on parallel turns and well....the snow was really really terrible.
Don't want to drift too much here, but how did you like the feeling of those stiff, light, cambered skis on crusty man-made? Brutal eh?

Just add a little bit of softness, and I promise, those skis come to life!
First thought in my head: "damn these skis are loooooong"
Second thought: "oh yeah, I meant to detune the tips and tails"

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:41 pm

mugglesport wrote: First thought in my head: "damn these skis are loooooong"
Second thought: "oh yeah, I meant to detune the tips and tails"
I know this feeling on frozen corduroy.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Hahahaa! Long! I thought the 189s felt short!

For some reason a Telemark will feel like you take off like 10cm.

Also, it's all relative, if you feel like those are too long and don't turn well enough, I'd want to introduce you to some 215cm E99s...

mugglesport

Post by mugglesport » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:02 pm

MikeK wrote:Hahahaa! Long! I thought the 189s felt short!

For some reason a Telemark will feel like you take off like 10cm.

Also, it's all relative, if you feel like those are too long and don't turn well enough, I'd want to introduce you to some 215cm E99s...
Mind you, my alpine skis are 179s....with some tip rocker. I have a pair of 210 XC track skis that just feel ridiculous on me. While I'm on my quiver...I also have a pair of 90s vintage 205 Saloman alpine race/GS skis with just the slightest bit of sidecut. Can't bring myself to get rid of them or turn them into a bench just yet.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:12 pm

By this spring you'll love those skis or you'll curse my name every time you look at them.

Either way, you'll learn a valuable life lesson...

... but I think as soon as you ski them on some fresh and get the FEEEEL, you'll really love them.

mugglesport

Post by mugglesport » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:18 pm

MikeK wrote:By this spring you'll love those skis or you'll curse my name every time you look at them.

Either way, you'll learn a valuable life lesson...
Already dishing out the fatherly advice :D

(congrats, by the way!)