Rossi BC110 mounting point?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Re: Rossi BC110 mounting point?

Post by MikeK » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Gareth, I think he is just speaking of lifting the foot while walking and how the ski tips (pun NOT intended).

So for example, pivot mounted in front of balance would make the ski tail heavy, and the tips would rise when you take a step.

I try not to do much stepping, but it's usually necessary while climbing something with some pitch. My typical trail breaking method is to try to let the ski do the work for me. Slide it forward with light pressure, let it plane up on the snow, and then weight it and compress the snow. Doesn't always work though. Thick snow, too thin a ski, too steep needing to fight for grip, etc can confound all that.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:08 pm

MikeK wrote:Gareth, I think he is just speaking of lifting the foot while walking and how the ski tips (pun NOT intended).

So for example, pivot mounted in front of balance would make the ski tail heavy, and the tips would rise when you take a step.

I try not to do much stepping, but it's usually necessary while climbing something with some pitch. My typical trail breaking method is to try to let the ski do the work for me. Slide it forward with light pressure, let it plane up on the snow, and then weight it and compress the snow. Doesn't always work though. Thick snow, too thin a ski, too steep needing to fight for grip, etc can confound all that.
It was good pun by the way- my Grandfather- the master of puns- would have loved it!

Yeah- I only lift my skis if I have to MAKE them turn- step-turns, step/stride telemarks, jump turns/telemarks, etc.

I MUCH prefer to "smear" my skis through a telemark- but then I am relying greatly on the turning radius of the ski- which is typically too wide for the terrain and cover I ski through- especially on 200+cm skis!

I certainly don't lift them when I am XC skiing. I don't think that I lift my lead ski when I am climbing either...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:22 pm

When breaking trail (striding/climbing) with free-pivot bindings, it's nice when the tips of the skis naturally rise when taking a step. I break a lot of trail in very deep snow. If the tails tended to rise, the tips would be harder to bring out of the snow for the next step, especially climbing unbroken deep snow. Has nothing to do with turning or gliding. Think snowshoes!

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:19 pm

You can always put the Switchbacks into ski mode for kicking and gliding.

There seems to be a lot of answers for mounting these. Rossi says to put pins on the balance point. I'd compare that with pins on chord center and pins on BOF/CRS and see how they compare. They are all probably fairly close. Burn some incense and make your choice.

dorthman

Post by dorthman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:00 pm

The regular (red cartridge) switchbacks really aren't even that active imo. Soft smooth and pretty linear though.

connyro

Post by connyro » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:41 am

dorthman wrote:The regular (red cartridge) switchbacks really aren't even that active imo. Soft smooth and pretty linear though.
dnt_upton wrote:You can always put the Switchbacks into ski mode for kicking and gliding
IMO, you guys are crazy. I HATE K+G in SBs when they are in ski mode. Granted, ski mode is good when facing a climb in super deep, soft snow on a steep tree-filled climb...but for striding? No way!

dorthman

Post by dorthman » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:36 am

I would agree they're not great for k&g glide touring, especially in ski mode, I'm not advocating that. But I was honestly surprised how well they k&g in tour mode. I've only toured them with skins but

For xcd I I usually ski voile 3pins with and without (the side throw) cables. The SB's aren't a huge step up in activity. X2s maybe, but the reg SB really isn't a very powerful, or active binding

For the Rossi 110s I'd get the basic voile cable or traverse bindings. Decent touring with the 3pij toe and you can throw a cable on there and have quite sufficient downhill power

SanJuanSam

Post by SanJuanSam » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:46 pm

I ended up talking the wife into 3 pin hardwires for her xcd set up. She decided against the Rossi 110 and went with the Epochs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:15 am

SanJuanSam wrote:I ended up talking the wife into 3 pin hardwires for her xcd set up. She decided against the Rossi 110 and went with the Epochs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
IMHO- that binding seems a better fit for either the Epoch or the BC-110.

I didn't mean to suggest that the the Switchback is a "powerful" binding in the context of "powerful" down-hill Telemark bindings. What I meant was that the Switchback is a down-hill Telemark binding- it is not a binding intended for XC skiing.

Tele bindings such as the 3PC and the hardwire are XC bindings- as well as Tele bindings.

The Switchback to me is ideal if one is "touring for turns". Regardless- one must be willing to give up significant XC performance.

As I mentioned above- we had a recent discussion about how best to XC ski with a free-pivot binding- I have extremely limited experience with it (I tried it once and kind of hated it!)- but the expert consensus is to XC ski with the binding in free-pivot climb/tour mode. For more on this see the discussion above.

That hardwire binding- despite the extra cash- has replaced the 3pin-cable in my mind. It will go on my next "mountain" setup- if I can ever find the time to get away from the hills and travel again to the mountains, in order to justify it!

The Epoch is an awesome XCD ski. My wife and kids love it. I find it too soft for my liking. You'll have to let us know what your wife thinks of this kit! What boot is she putting on that ski and binding?

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:17 am

LoveJohnny wrote: Now if only they could start making NIS plates and XCelerator-type BC bindings... Guess I'll have to make it myself... (That was half of my secret binding... 8-) )
Do you think that they can make the NIS plate and binding connection strong enough for downhill skiing?

I have the NIS plate installed on my track skis- true innovation. I adjusted the binding position when I first tested them. But- I have to admit that I rarely adjust them now- I simply adjust the position and length of my grip wax. But- the ability to adjust binding position has significant performance advantages in terms of XC skiing.

I am assuming that you are thinking of binding adjustment in terms of down-hill skiing? I other words- rearward for powder skiing, forward for tip pressure? This would be really cool to add to NNNBC.

Just wonder if the connection would be strong enough...