mountain hub

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
danomike

mountain hub

Post by danomike » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:56 pm

I did a little testing of the Mountain Hub app, yesterday; and I was impressed. It is easy to use and share area specific and recent outdoors conditions with anyone else using the app.

http://mountainhub.com/

If posting conditions, all you do is open the app on your phone - it automatically picks up your location with the phone's GPS. From there, you can simply click on a series of icons describing what is going on where you are (weather, avalanche, snow conditions, trail conditions, snowpack test, etc.) and then save. The reports can be simple reports, or you can embellish with text and photos - this is all with the free version of the app. I think this app is so easy to use, that you could hand it to a 7-year-old child, and they could produce useful reports for the outdoors community to use.

To read conditions, I recommend using the website on a tablet, or laptop to see what is going on in a broad region. If you know exactly where you are going and can zoom close in on a specific area, then the phone app can be used. Regardless of the device used, as you zoom in, the conditions in the left column are automatically filtered down to only what is going on in the area filtered to and sorted with the most recent reports at top. It's that simple to use.

Sure, there could and might be something better; but I think this is the best thing on the table that is functioning right now. I don't think something like this should replace professional reports, like an avalanche center, but their forecasters can't be everywhere all the time - and Mountain Hub is intended for 4-season activities, not just winter activities. It's only useful if people are contributing reports to it on a regular basis, so tell your friends about it. Download it, take it out to play, test it, let me know what you think.

Note: I'm not a marketing executive for Mountain Hub, Avanet, or Avatech. I have no professional, or financial relationship with the company that makes this app.