Let's see your 16-17 quiver!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Let's see your 16-17 quiver!

Post by MikeK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:15 am

Everyone loves showing off their gear - let's see what you'll be rocking for this season :)

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Let's see your 16-17 quiver!

Post by Johnny » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:43 pm

Hey Mike, there's already plenty of old quiver threads... Why not merge them here and make one, big cool quiver thread? That'd be great! 8-)

I already have way too many skis... But I can't help getting more... Blame GAS...!

The new family members this year:
_IMG_3744.jpg
- Yet another pair of XC rock skis
- Voile Objective BC
- Fischer WC, 27m at 193cm! For super fast NTN action...
- Brand new Hart Pulse, 16m at 180cm... My new favorite NTN skis... Not looking for GTOs anymore!
- Kazama Outback 205cm! (Thank Cannatonic!)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:18 pm

Johnny - hope you bought a helmet to go with those Fischer WC!

Cross-country. Downhill. (left to right)

205cm waxless Fischer E89 w/NNN-BC
200cm wax/skin Asnes Ingstad w/NNN-BC
199cm waxless Fischer S Bound 78 w/NNN-BC
189cm waxless Fischer S Bound 98 w/3 pin
185cm wax Tua Helium w/ 3 pin HW

I need a pair of wax skinnies to round out the quiver. I really hope to find a decent pair of woodies for not-too-much.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:08 am

That makes 60% of your weapons mounted with NNN... Are you trying to be more like me or what? 8-)

Helmet? What for? I'm a good skier...!

But I did buy this beautiful pink beanie last year as a 'helmet'...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:14 am

LoveJohnny wrote:That makes 60% of your weapons mounted with NNN... Are you trying to be more like me or what? 8-)
C'mon... I mounted those up with NNN before you made the switch ;)

If I become more like you I'll take those 3 pins off my S98... we'll see though - I might do it!

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:37 am

MikeK wrote:If I become more like you I'll take those 3 pins off my S98... we'll see though - I might do it!
Do the test... You will thank me for this... I dont know why you're still in doubt... 8-)

Especially with the brand new NNN truth I just discovered last week...
Wooaaah, it's freaking crazy... More info about that soon...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:46 am

LoveJohnny wrote: Do the test... You will thank me for this... I dont know why you're still in doubt... 8-)

Especially with the brand new NNN truth I just discovered last week...
Wooaaah, it's freaking crazy... More info about that soon...
Thing is - I have a nice pair of leather 3 pin boots that I really love. In all honesty, the NNN-BC Alaska is still my favorite boot but the Svartisen 75mm is a close second. The Svartisen NNN-BC is a way more "powerful" boot, but not as comfortable.

There is one issue I have with NNN-BC in deep snow for DH. I find I need to keep my rear foot SLAMMED on the ski and in sticky snow I was getting some "balling" i.e. snow build up under the ball of my foot where those ridges are. It knocks out when you are striding, not an issue, but when I was trying to make turns I would get this occasionally. It doesn't seem to happen with the 3 pin, or at least I don't notice it.

There is no perfect binding - I'm going to stick with what I have for now.

And hey, I wonder what the impact energy absorption of a dreadlock is? :P

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:43 am

MikeK wrote:
There is one issue I have with NNN-BC in deep snow for DH. I find I need to keep my rear foot SLAMMED on the ski
I hear you here- but here's the thing- isn't this the truth about the "telemark"?

IME- the weighting of the rear ski is the keystone to the telemark.

With very powerful boots-bindings I can easily initiate a telemark turn simply by dropping and weighting my rear ski- squatting into the mountain- so to speak.

On less powerful XC boots-bindings- and long skis- I find I have to stride forward into the telemark- but success-balance still utterly depends on me throwing- "SLAMMING"- my weight into my rear ski one the turn is initiated. (With shorter skis, I can initiate the turn by squatting on my rear foot as well.)

When I carefully watch skiers like CIMA- it appears to me that he is initiating his turns by squatting compactly onto his rear ski...

(I will post a picture of my kit when I get a chance)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:47 am

Gareth - No doubt brother. I ski better with pins because of NNN-BC. It's just that slamming my rear foot coupled with the snow balling that can cause an issue - I get those rear foot wobbles - it feels like I'm standing on a golf ball. I've only had it happen in deep, wet snow. I'm going to try hitting them with silicone prior to see if it will help, but I think the wings on pins and actually might help snow from getting up and under the foot.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:25 am

FWIW - my rock skis are my S78s. They were designated so last year - I skied them more than anything in the worst possible conditions. They might not be as cheap as a dumpster set, but I picked up mine new pretty cheap.

Thing is, they are actually fun skis in shit snow. I skied grass, mud, thin cover with rocks poking out, ice - you name it last year. And they still look really good (the bases and particularly the scales) are tough. They might not have much wood in them (air core) but they have a ton of fiberglass. The edges are tiny but are hard and tough - I've yet to gouge them like some of my others.