Is the bike industry following the ski industry?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bauerb

Re: Is the bike industry following the ski industry?

Post by bauerb » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:44 am

a few years back I took up mountain bike racing( a few years back = 15 years. I haven't raced bikes in 10). then to train for MTB, I starting road cycle racing. my first MTB was a super-plush Cannondale full suspension bike...I bought it because that's what other guys had. that soon led to a single-speed hardtail, which immediately became my favorite trail bike. I'd ride it in the full geared class. people would say "dude, you're in the wrong race"...I believe to this day I was faster on that SS hardtail against full suspension geared bikes...I didn't like the super technical MTB course because I was too risk averse...I preferred what I called "fitness races"...which leads me to this: I really like the latest "gravel bike" concept. if I were to buy an off-road bike now, it would be a gravel bike. in ski terms, maybe its equivalent to a Skimo AT setup? a gravel bike will not crush an enduro course or allow you to huck off cliffs, but it goes up and down and across.

btw, last summer in Big Sky, I saw my first "Big Mountain Enduro" event. although the uphill sections were not timed, the guys/girls still had to hike up, which I thought was cool.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:49 am

Skimo bike would definitely be a cyclocross bike. Really fast, brakes don’t work (I call them speed modulators...), if it’s too hard to ride just run, uncomfortable and only appropriate for time limited races. Gravel (or all-road) bikes are way more like what the folks here are doing on skis. Go far, get away from folks, explore and don’t worry too much about terrain. It’s a lot of fun.

Even more so now, than when this thread was first started, the MTB industry is eating its own future. The last couple of times I’ve been out on trails I’ve counted the bikes and motorized bikes and it’s been 1:3 ratio. I think the access (which was already difficult), the entry to the sport for new riders, and the long term engagement will all suffer as $15k 7” travel bikes that will deliver you to the top of the mountain with barely breaking a sweat become the norm, not the exception. But I’m sure they love cashing the checks in the mean time.

Now just waiting for the mid-mountain craft beer stand so folks can complete the full resort cosplay and spend tons of money to not actually do the sport at all.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:49 am

There's no question that eBikes will become more popular. Here in Utah, last season I saw maybe 5 or 6 eBikes Vs. the hundreds of regular mountain bikes out there. Here, if you are over 60 (I think that's the age) or have a disability you're cleared to ride the trails on eBikes. Even with that, few do, but I expect in a few more years, I may get one.

I was just down in Moab and not an eBike in sight, but they aren't generally allowed.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:22 pm

I like watching videos from this guy: Vegan Cyclist. I also like race vids from Norcal cycling.

anyway, in this video, the vegan guy races his wife who is on an ebike. at the end he talks about who he thinks ebikes are best for. he talks about them as enabling his wife( who does not exercise) and his mom to go on rides with him so that they can share the experience. I like that angle. as far as ebikes being used like electric motorcycles on trails? I am not a fan. I run the trails 9 months out of the year. the last thing I need is a pack of yahoos on ebikes crashing into me.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:58 pm

bauerb wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:22 pm
...I am not a fan. I run the trails 9 months out of the year. the last thing I need is a pack of yahoos on ebikes crashing into me.
I haven't experienced the individual riders themselves being more reckless or blasting around to any greater extent than folks on full human power bikes at any particular point. However, I've seen a huge increase of long travel bikes (with motors) deeper into places where previously only the strong and light would venture.

bwm8142
Ski style: Trying not to fall down
Favorite Skis: Combat Nato

Post by bwm8142 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:38 pm

I mountain bike a lot like I ski. I have a "trail" bike with a decent amount of travel, killer 1x drivetrain, and big ol disc brakes. I ride it up, down, and around everything like I would with my skis. Very similar style of backcountry exploration and getting out into nature. I have no desire to go lift assisted biking because it sounds absolutely terrifying to me :?

I think just like the ski industry there are still folks out there enjoying the root of the whole movement, which is freedom to explore and having equipment that will provide a fun and safe way to get out of your element and into nature. There are plenty of bikes that still facilitate this style of travelling, much like there is plenty of skis that facilitate the travelling we like to do. New stuff like big fat skis and big fat bikes are just a movement in the industry and it doesn't hurt that they offer both. I have a pair of big planks for downhill days that are powdery and they rock! My dad has a plus tire bike and it rocks in certain conditions too. We have so many options as consumers now, it's awesome if you ask me

The GCW
Ski style: Alpine, Alpine B.C. Nordic B.C.

Post by The GCW » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:13 pm

Motorcycles should be licensed, registered and insured & kept on the road.

Where I live, there's a nice asphalt bike path system and at times it gets crowded. Now, motorcycles are being allowed and in some cases it is provoking road bike riders to get on the highway, since they are not only crowded but further those motorcyclists are more often less experienced riders going too fast. The bike paths were created in part to get the bikes off the highway. If a road cyclist can ride on the highway, make the motorcyclist ride on the highway.

I believe it's a mistake to allow motorcycles on the bike paths.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:51 pm

ok, so now I have a stronger opinion based on what happened today. I was 18 miles into a 20 mile trail run, and 2 clowns on electric fat bikes come flying down the trail at me. they were dressed like enduro riders, blasting music on a boombox, and they starting shouting at me "watch out!!" etc. they made zero attempt to slow down and I jumped off the trail. my guess by looking at them is that they could probably produce 50 watts for 1 minute combined. I see lots of MTB riders on these trails who actually pedal their bikes and the courtesy shown is completely different.
this was a secluded trail, not a ski resort. did the encounter ruin my day? no, not at all. but my new opinion is that trails should be designated as "human power only", or "mixed-use ebike".

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:36 pm

bauerb wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:51 pm
ok, so now I have a stronger opinion based on what happened today. I was 18 miles into a 20 mile trail run, and 2 clowns on electric fat bikes come flying down the trail at me. they were dressed like enduro riders, blasting music on a boombox, and they starting shouting at me "watch out!!" etc. they made zero attempt to slow down and I jumped off the trail. my guess by looking at them is that they could probably produce 50 watts for 1 minute combined. I see lots of MTB riders on these trails who actually pedal their bikes and the courtesy shown is completely different.
this was a secluded trail, not a ski resort. did the encounter ruin my day? no, not at all. but my new opinion is that trails should be designated as "human power only", or "mixed-use ebike".
Where was this?

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:17 am

New Jersey . fat tire ebikes are basically motorcycles.