Telemark Skimo racing (was: 3-pin Racing)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Re: 3-pin Racing

Post by 1EyedJack » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:27 pm

okay, I just had to loook up those Aberdeen rowies (spelling from the site)Image
http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/butteries.php

From the pictures, Scotland is on my to-do list for sure now. Not too sure about the breakfast treats though :P
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Excellent link, One-eyed-jack!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:43 am

Mark, great thread and post. I enjoyed the photos, beautiful country. You may have finished down the board a bit, but your turn sure looked first class. Congratulations on being there and keeping up (saw a couple skiers right with you).

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:50 am

I only posted the good ones! due to the cross fall on the slope, I alpined the upside and long fast tele on the down. Pleased to say the skis gripped well on the polished piste, think my all mountain skis would have skidded more.
Previous race not so happy.....enjoy (yup that's me, in the background, legs in the air!)
Lecht tumble 3.jpg

iBjorn

Re: Telemark Skimo racing (was: 3-pin Racing)

Post by iBjorn » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:31 pm

Changed the title of the thread to cover all Tele skimo racing.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:42 am

so it's an especially badass 4,000 footer....
https://www.summitpost.org/ben-nevis/150801

Written Upon the Top of Ben Nevis

"Read me a lesson, Muse, and speak it loud
Upon the top of Nevis, blind in mist!
I look into the chasms, and a shroud
Vapurous doth hide them - just so much I wist
Mankind do know of hell; I look o'erhead,
And there is sullen mist, - even so much
Mankind can tell of heaven; mist is spread
Before the earth, beneath me, - even such,
Even so vague is man's sight of himself!
Here are the craggy stones beneath my feet, -
Thus much I know that, a poor witless elf,
I tread on them, - that all my eye doth meet
Is mist and crag, not only on this height,
But in the world of thought and mental might!"

John Keats (1795-1821)
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:52 am

Keats on Nevis on Skimo skis....
Read me a lesson, Muse, and speak it loud
Upon the top of Nevis, blind in mist,
If you think I can ski down that,
You must be pissed!

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:02 pm

BCAEB863-CE5B-4F3B-8B42-5F501E2FA796.jpeg
Finished the remount of my race skis this evening, and yes, I am going over to the dark side for the next race. I am considering to Race with TeleTech the next season if I can get decently fast transitions, so I am doing this to gain some experience of 2-pins before building the next race skis/bindings, as well as to test the speed difference between a 2-pin and a 3-pin rig.

Although, I am satisfied with the uphill and downhill performance of the 3-pin binding, the weight and ROM difference between my T4 and F1 boots is just to big to be ignored. Also, on the downhill I can ski all conditions I like with 3-pins/T4, but it comes at the cost of killed quadriceps/legs, and in a race there is no time to take a break to recover your legs. The F1/teletech is just so much easier on the legs in the downhill parts.

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Did some laps (9) this evening with the remounted Race skis with ATK Trofeo race bindings and my F1’s. Although the overall feel of the free pivot and lighter boots and bindings was pleasant - the difference in speed was rather marginal compared to the same skis/skins with 3-pins and T4’s. I did, however, took it easy due to the late hour, it might be a larger difference if I push things a little harder. I will push things harder in the next sessions. I was able to get good flow in the transitions with the ATK binding, it is fairly easy to get in or out from, but 3-pins/T4s are still faster in transitions for me.

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Back from my second session with the AT race rig, I did laps in the nearby small, rather low-angled, red piste where I usually test gear and make some quick laps.

The odd thing is that I am slower with the AT gear than I am with 3-pins/T4s. I did an avarage of 6 minutes and 54 seconds per lap this night, with 3–pins I usually avarage at 6 minutes and 30 seconds. The transitions (skinning->skiing, skiing->skinning) works really well with the AT gear (although the transitions with 3-pins are 5-15 seconds faster). The skinning with my AT set-up has a nice flow, and the downhill is nice and easy. So I am a little confused of the missing advantage of the AT race gear. I was more or less planning to switch to teletech gear with F1 boots for the next season, now I am not sure anymore.

I have thought that skimo racing with 3-pins should be doable, but I never thought it could be competative. I am pretty sure that I will be faster with AT gear when I am more used to it, but I am also sure that the advantage of AT gear is rather small as long as you dont are a world cup racer.