Questions about NNN BC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Re: Questions about NNN BC

Post by MikeK » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:21 am

An old timer told me '89 was the first year for NNN-BC. Haven't confirmed that.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:05 am

athabascae wrote:
Ski - Bonna Conquest 3.JPG
Those might actually be the 1st gen then as my older pairs' plastic parts or molded differently.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:03 pm

MikeK wrote:An old timer told me '89 was the first year for NNN-BC. Haven't confirmed that.
I'm pretty sure it was 1989, although it could have been 1990 - memory is the first to go...

Those early NNN BC bindings didn't seem as nearly as robust as the current ones, or as wide (probably, like, 50 mm). Although I did like that the throw was all metal. Never any recollection of icing either.

And, while I'm certainly getting old, I'm not yet an old-timer ;) I won't hit the half century mark for a while yet, thank goodness.

Tom

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:24 pm

Haha... well I had no idea about BC Nordic back then, but I had skied NNN by the mid 90s, the regular version. Actually didn't like it much then.

I've yet to have any ice with the manuals. Just have started to notice some balling of snow on the plates behind the boot in certain conditions, running that with paste or silicone should help, I need to remember to do that religiously.

It's much harder to get balling on pins, but it can happen as well. Snow can start packing up behind your boot and into the plate.

If you like your boots, you'll get used to them... although I'm sure you'd pick it up a lot quicker if you were chasing beautiful BC girls :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Krakus
Ski style: many falls
Favorite Skis: Tua Grande Neige :), Asnes Nansen, Salomon XADV89
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard, Fischer BCX675

Post by Krakus » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:03 pm

athabascae wrote:Does anybody BC/XCD ski with the red or white flexors? I did hear that the stiffer ones are preferred for skating, but no knowledge of their use for skiing...
Few year ago I tried white ones. At that time I skied with relatively soft-soled Rossignols BC 7. White flexors gave me some improvement of ski control in turning. But when I changed my boots to Fischers BCX6, with much stiffer sole, I found that I was almost unable to kick and glide (it was hard to lift a heel), so I returned to regular, black flexors.

athabascae

Post by athabascae » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:26 pm

Good to know. Thanks.

Sounds like they might be good for nordic skates, where you don't want heel play.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:29 pm

I think with the Alaska you are going to have plenty of sole stiffness so keeping with the black is probably ideal.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:34 pm

athabascae wrote:Good to know. Thanks.

Sounds like they might be good for nordic skates, where you don't want heel play.
I tried ice skates in both a 75mm and NNN BC version this winter (sweden). The 75mm ones had locked heels. You'll feel more sturdy on them, perfect for rugged ice. But the heel play in NNN BC provides a more efficient skating experience when the ice is nice (Heck I even met some skating with standard ski skate boots and bindings). So heel play is, once again, a personal choice somewhat conditioned by the quality of ice you are skating. (I could let go of my pair of whites if you want to experiment with them as we never have the right conditions here for ice skating).
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

athabascae

Post by athabascae » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:35 pm

Yes. The blacks are good, mostly just curious, especially since I do have some red flexors.

athabascae

Post by athabascae » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:22 pm

Lucky guy!

We have great ice in Yukon and Alaska. The main guy is on Glittertind boots and NNN BC auto. I hope to do this in late March in Anchorage (Hay River flats - Knik River), where this is from.

That said, Sweden and the long tours you can take there - inn-to-inn - would be a dream...

I was earlier tempted by the 75 mm nordic skates, but I think its difficult to find those in North America - I only see NNN, NNN BC, or Salomon... Its part of the reason I am consciously moving to NNN BC for my skis too. I'll have to play with the different bumper colours and see what works for us.

Thanks for the great info.

Tom
[video][/video]