any tips on 3 pins mounted to alpine ski?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
blitzskier

any tips on 3 pins mounted to alpine ski?

Post by blitzskier » Wed May 22, 2024 12:47 pm

I have a set of really nice alpines skis given to me from a friend, and I got spare 3 pin voilies with cables. and purchased cheapo $15 ebay skins.
I'm to frugal to purchase Alpine boots and a lift ticket. I really want to ski these babies in the back woods, when the season comes around again.. any tips you guys can offer for mounting them would be awsome!

:mrgreen:

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: any tips on 3 pins mounted to alpine ski?

Post by fisheater » Wed May 22, 2024 7:31 pm

I would mount boot center, to the boot center mark on the ski. To measure where boot center on the boot, I measure from the boot heel to the pin line in mm and divide by 2. I then mark pin line that distance from the boot center mark. Be sure to measure from the tail of the ski to the boot center mark on both skis. Sometimes there could be a difference. I would split the difference, generally. There could be a reason you trust one more than the other. I just prefer both skis mounted the same distance from the tail. I personally don’t think 1 cm/10 mm makes a difference in a mounting point, at least I don’t think I would notice. I am moving a mounting point on ski that I have skied for years about 3 cm forward. I am expecting to notice a difference on that ski. I am confident I will like downhill performance better. I am curious the effect on kick, glide, and climbing. I guess I will find out!
Good luck

blitzskier

Re: any tips on 3 pins mounted to alpine ski?

Post by blitzskier » Thu May 23, 2024 11:30 am

Thank you I appreciate the info,