Salmon will be staging soon, we are coming into cooler and more comfortable outdoor weather, but skiing is heavily on my

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Salmon will be staging soon, we are coming into cooler and more comfortable outdoor weather, but skiing is heavily on my

Post by fisheater » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:08 pm

I am a man of the seasons, and I work to cooperate with creation to enjoy this wonderful planet we all call home. Soon the salmon will be staging, our annual salmon camp will arrive. The salmon are big and well fed this year!
Yet, I’m kind of preoccupied thinking of snow. I love paddling the open water of the Great Lakes, yet kicking, gliding, and Telemark turns are on my mind 4 months before I will bask in winter whiteness.
I’m very happy to enjoy Nordic skiing. I just wish I could wait for winter.
Am I the only one???

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Salmon will be staging soon, we are coming into cooler and more comfortable outdoor weather, but skiing is heavily o

Post by Stephen » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:27 pm

Yes, Bob, you are THE ONLY ONE!
Wahahaha…
:twisted: :lol:

But, I went skiing two weeks ago.
A34E7366-2B1C-48B2-86E4-E577AB37BDDB.jpeg
Enjoy the fishing, time goes by fast enough as it is…

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: Salmon will be staging soon, we are coming into cooler and more comfortable outdoor weather, but skiing is heavily o

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:23 am

The typical comment from foreign visitors or people I meet while travelling:
"Trondheim? The winters must be hard!"
To me they are only somewhat hard before it snows. November is dark, damp, cold and rainy.
So yes I really look forward to skiing again :D

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:58 pm

@Stephen a little skiing had to be nice! I will enjoy the fishing, it goes so quickly!

@Roelant i don’t think anyone enjoys that transition weather. However I don’t think I would do well much north of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Plenty of winter, but they still have day time. I’m not sure I’m cut out for Nordic Night!

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:26 am

Trondheim at 63*N Latitude.
I have lived at 55*N (which is about 550 miles south of 63*N) and enjoyed it — except for the clouds and grey and rain and mosquitos, that is.
Clear and -30*F was nice.
More wood in the firebox!

Also lived in Marquette one winter. It sure felt cold. Maybe it was the humidity from the lake? The steam sauna was the place to be!

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:18 am

The trick is to make use of what daylight one DOES have.
- BC Ski in the weekends between 10 AM and 3 PM, or be familiar where you're going. I have done nightly offtrack tours, but once I had to scramble up a frozen waterfall to get to a cabin at night, as the summer access was too steep to ski, and I realized I was testing the limits of my luck.
- XC track ski on illuminated tracks during weekdays after work :) Possible just 5 minutes driving from home :D

chris_the_wrench

Post by chris_the_wrench » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:31 pm

Stephen wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:26 am
Also lived in Marquette one winter. It sure felt cold. Maybe it was the humidity from the lake? The steam sauna was the place to be!
If I ever left Montana and had no family obligations, UP or the coast above duluth would be very attractive to me!

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:17 pm

Wow there sure is lot of daylight for those outdoor summer projects, but damn, it's still 86f (30c) and baking in the sun out there after 7. Ah snow, snow, snow...

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:19 pm

@Roelant "The typical comment from foreign visitors or people I meet while travelling:
"Trondheim? The winters must be hard!""

Hard to wait for, yes.

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:26 pm

Nothing like snow in August! Berthoud Pass, CO
F7012F41-9871-4817-9FC1-7C63FF3BE8FB.jpeg
Damn you early snow! Making me buy skis!
B0363F06-A5C7-4F96-9A60-45203C090745.jpeg
And skins, skin glue, bindings, wool beanie, mittens, powder baskets for poles, and whatever else is on sale!
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!